1963 Skylark Coupe - understanding factory and dealer options

rodneybeauchamp

Hi all, 

going thru the 1963 Buick Skylark sales brochure, I found no mention of any optional vinyl roof or two tone paint options. Yet black code 1 and white code 2 top fabrics are listed for this model 4347 (Skylark Coupe) in the 1963 BUICK COLOR-TRIM BOOK.

1. How did the buyer get to know about these and other options that are not mentioned in the sales brochure? Were they listed on the order form or some other sheet that I don’t have yet?

Also listed in OPTIONS & ACCESSORIES under SPECIALS -4000-4100-4300 are

BASIC GROUP NO 1 A6 D1 G7 Q7

BASIC GROUP NO2 A6 C6 D1 G8 Q7 T1

2. What does this mean at the dealership for the salesman and the customer when ordering a car?

3. I noticed that 15” wheels were optional on some models but not others. What would be the reason that this option was offered? Why not on Skylark?

many thanks

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Some brochures were more to get the potential purchaser interested in the car, rather than be a ocmplete listing of what was or might be available on the vehicle.  "Let the salesperson handle any other questions/inquiries", they probably felt.  When such questions might arise, there would be other literature with more definitive listings, including the Dealer Order Guide.

The "basic group" listings you referenced would be just that, certain popular options grouped together for a price saving (for the customer AND the corporation).  The individual items could be purchased separately if the customer OR dealership wanted to do it that way.  Some dealers might order them separately to make the window sticker have more line-items on it, so it would be "longer", no matter if the resulting price might be a little bit higher.

"Dealer-Installed Options"?  A completely separate brochure for that, with a corresponding listing in the Buick Parts Book, of "Factory-Authorized/Approved" items.  Many times, some could be added by the dealer if the customer might desire them.  Adding an AM pushbutton radio, an outside rear view mirror, Vent Shades, Accesssory Bumper Guards (usually different than what would be installed at the factory), door edge guards, etc.  Even dealer-installed under-dash air conditioning.  ALL designed/approved by factory engineers, unlike some of the similar non-GM/Buick items that were available.

Vinyl tops were not very popular back then, although some upscale brands/models could have them.  Ford Thunderbird, for example.  As the Buick Special was still an entry-level carline, probably not too many built with that option, I suspect.

15" wheels can be in that aspect, also.  13" tires were less expensive than 15" tires, so more 13" wheels/tires probably sold than the optional 15"-ers.  The 15" wheel/tire combinations would also make the effective rear axle ratio "higher-geared" due to their larger diameter.  Which would make them cruise on the road at a lower rpm, but would also make them slower to accelerate from a stop, or otherwise . . . with the same numerical rear axle ratio.  Probably better to have them with an automatic transmission, as a result.

Several years ago, I purchased a used 2005 LeSabre Limited from our used car lot.  When I ran the VIN through the GM Parts database, I discovered that it had been ordered (from GM) by Hertz, as a rental vehicle.  It had every option available on it, BUT the optioinal 16" wheels/tires.  Why?  The cost of replacing the more expensive (at the time) P225.60R-16 tires rather than the standard size P215/70R-15 tires, should that be necessary while the rental car company owned the car.  With the slightly smaller diameter tires, the car runs about 150rpm higher at a given road speed on the highway and probably has marginally quicker acceleration, as a result.

Consider the mind-set of a new vehicle buyer in the earlier 1960s.  Why load-up a smaller car with options when the same money would buy a larger car (and increased prestige) for the same money.  Plus, many of the options on the smaller car might well be standard equipment on the larger car, too.  A better long-term value, it was perceived to do it that way.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that.

Interesting that the sales brochure starts with the Skylark versions (most expensive) and then ends with the lowly Special (least expensive). No doubt a sales strategy!

I have only seen a few Skylarks advertised, and it seems auto transmission and power steering and a radio were popular, but things like power windows and seats were not so much.

Would be interesting to know what the mindset was like back then in 1963 for a customer looking for a compact. Given that the sales of Skylark coupes was quite strong (30,000) it seems the Buick buyer was prepared to spend a bit more, wanting an “economy car” without sacrificing comfort. 

Hello Rodney,-----sorry im a bit dumb with computers,

i dont know how to contact you---you sent me something ,how can i help,

i  can talk here or another  contact  way --let me know----gold coast   QLD.

• Haha 1

Having lived through that era, all of the GM divisions (except Cadillac) had their "New for 1960" compact cars.  The Chevy Corvair and the Pontiac Temptest having the most unique features of the time for USA-brand vehicles.  The Buick Special and Olds F-85 were combined together with their similar, but unique, platforms.

Even now, if a potential customer might be interested in a particular vehicle, the brochure will desire to showcase the car in its most favorable situation.  Which means "nicer first, then the lesser expensive models", usually.  Especially considering how basic the "strandard equipment" vehicle was back then.  Or they could start with the less expensive model (shown with popular options, as noted) and then progress to the fancier models.

In the 1960s, the USA Middle Class was booming and expanding, typically.  Cars were a part of that deal, too.  What "sold" were things that could be seen, rather than something hidden from view.  Two-tone paint, whitewalls and wheel covers, fancier interiors, and BIG engines, when desired.  People desired the best bang for their bucks, which meant "move up to Buick" was possible, from a normal Chevy, if you worked the option list correctly.  Power windows, power seats . . . they were something you normally saw on Electras, not Specials or similar, back then.  Most compact cars didn't offer them, either.  Finding a LeSabre with power seats could mean a few things:  The owners were of differing heights or they wanted something similar to a Wildcat but without the Wildcar orientaitons and equipment.

Many of those power options were also considered, back then, to be potential places for trouble.  So many people avoided them unless they absolutely needed them.  Many buyers would buy power steering, but not power brakes (due to their seemingly over-boosted response), for example.

It was a different time back then.  A better time to be a car-person!  Many new things EVERY year, too!  It took some effort to keep up with it all AND remember what year things happened.  

Check out the many car commercials on YouTube, but be prepared to spend hours watching them!  LOTS of stuff!  Not a lot of Buick videos, unfortunately, unless you get into the 1950s decade or so.  As Oldsmobile had Broadway production-style commercials and such.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 62 Skylark convertible originally came with power windows, power top, PB, PS, AT, air conditioning, V8, 4bbl carb, SS trim on the sides, the wheel arches, and the rockers, button tucked interior, bucket seats, tinted windshield. In other words pretty fully loaded with options. So I assume the 63s would have offered a similar option list.

"Skylark" was more upscale than its economy minded sibling, the "Special." I had a 63 special sedan that only had the V8, AT, and PS which I think was the most common.

On 2/17/2021 at 2:21 PM, Wheelnut said:

So I assume the 63s would have offered a similar option list.

"Skylark" was more upscale than its economy minded sibling, the "Special." I had a 63 special sedan that only had the V8, AT, and PS which I think was the most common.

thanks for that. I am about to look at a ‘63 Skylark convertible tomorrow. From the photos I can decipher an ID plate (just) that shows 63-4367, trim is 179, top is 1, body is CC which corresponds to a Skylark convertible with red interior, white top and Arctic white paint. Interesting that the ACC line is blank. However it has automatic transmission, power steering, radio with manual antenna, clock, two speed wipers with washers, deluxe wheel covers. Outside mirrors may have been dealer fitted or done here (Australia) because of our LHD laws.

4CE01641-EAF7-4851-8857-479C7D351F2C.png

D5556E5D-977F-432F-BE48-37490FD67D89.png

Have you seen the '63 brochure?

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Buick/1963_Buick/1963_Buick_Trim_Size/dirindex.html

Apparently the options list was quite extensive. Don't see any period photos with RH side mirror, but the LH side in your photos resembles the stock US mirror. Dual mirrors were not very common then but the RH mirror in your photos appears to match the LH.

1963 Buick Trim Size-15 amp 16.jpg

Edited by Wheelnut (see edit history)

On 2/3/2021 at 9:11 PM, NTX5467 said:

"New for 1960" compact cars.  The Chevy Corvair and the Pontiac Temptest having the most unique features of the time for USA-brand vehicles.  The Buick Special and Olds F-85 were combined together with their similar, but unique, platforms.

Just to clarify, the Chevrolet Corvair was a full 1960 model year car, having débuted on October 2, 1959. The other GM compacts were 1961 model year vehicles.

Thanks for all those replies. Had a test drive today, sunny morning here before it got to hot!

Nice smooth drive line, quiet motor but seems to have some get up and go for the size car. Ride felt very comfortable, almost soft but not squishy! Certainly some scuttle shake which apparently is “part of the deal” with a convertible. 

Has standard “ non power assist brakes” which worked ok but everything else I now drive has PB, power steering was very light but good.

Yes, we bought it! Will start a new post when I pick it up next week!

cheers

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

D130B7AD-374A-473B-8F9F-F5CD994B0049.jpeg

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Add photo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 2/19/2021 at 8:31 AM, Wheelnut said:

One reason for no 15" wheel offering might be related to the Skylark wheel being a 4-bolt. Bolt pattern is 4x114.

All Skylark and Special wheels from 1961 through 1963 are 4-bolt wheels, regardless of the 13" or 15" diameter. The 4-bolt 15s are quite rare. I have a set if anybody needs them.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

2 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

All Skylark and Special wheels from 1961 through 1963 are 4-bolt wheels, regardless of the 13" or 15" diameter. The 4-bolt 15s are quite rare. I have a set if anybody needs them.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

I have seen two 61-3 skylarks with five bolt 14" Buick rally rims and I imagine the front drums are an easy change from a 64 or later A body.  What I don't know is what changes are required at the rear axle to do this, be it an entire carrier change or if just axles can be installed in the original rear carrier.  At any rate, the rally wheels really dress up these mini Buicks although they would be a point killer if the car was BCA judged.