Lycoming 4SL main bearings

Bill heath

Hello everyone.

I have a 1928 IHC truck that runs the Lycoming 4SL, 6-cyl engine.  Grandfather bought it new and handed it down to me in 1966.

Has always run and drove great, but it is time for main bearings.  Hoping someone amongst you can help me locate a set of these.

I can provide the factory IHC part numbers.

Regards

Bill

If the above is no help and you have to go on the hunt, a 36 engine pats catalog says the Lyc  2S, 3S, 4S, 4SG and 4SM all share mains with your 4SL...

If necessary, I can advise some clubs for makes using one or more of the above...

I assume you've already tried oldihc and the other IH forums...Lyc pats are not that common now...

11 hours ago, JustDave said:

Try  Lester Harris in minded Nevada,Lester has been in the antique auto parts business since are lord built the mountains,you should be able to google. His numbers,     Dave

That would be  MINDEN , Nevada. I lived there for a while back in the ‘60s. Love that spellcheck !   -   Carl 

thank you all!  the mains bearings are inserts.  they are a very heavy wall brass shell with babbitt overlay. The shells are 0.188" thick including 0.025" babbitt layer.   they have the original IHC part numbers stamped on them along with the IHC logo, Federal Mogul logo, Detroit USA and the -020 undersize.  I have an original parts book for this 4SL engine and find that the numbers on the bearing shells match those listed in the parts book.  The book indicates STD as well as the -020.   I dont know where to turn for help.   I will contact Lester Harris for help.  Can you provide contact info? 

Google Lester---home phone, mobile and email will cone up, but better not delay, as Google says he's 90...a poor joke, nut I'm entitled as I'm 89 and heading there myself...

If Lester no help try the Elcar and Gardner car clubs---Elcars used the 2S and 4SM at least, and Gardners show with 2S, 4S, your 4SL (generally a truck engine) and 4SM...

Even if no help, if bearings now unobtainium. other owners may've found modern work-around..

My main bearings are made the same.  It was no problem to have them rebabbitted except my machinist said that even though the bronze backing was heavy it could be distorted by being removed.  He recast my bronze pieces and then babbitted them.  An excellent job and not very expensive.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, hattrick4467 said:

Can the cylider be sleeved? 

Any cylinder can be sleeved.  It is best if all the cylinders have the same bore but not essential if you a building an engine for a trailer queen or only short drives.

The 4SL had two pistons per that 36 catalog...

4SL to #15624 shared pistons with 4S, 4SG, 4SM 6s and 4H,4HM 8s (4 ring piston)

4SLl #15624 (sorry, that's what it says) to 26996 takes a 3 ring piston, not shared by any other  Lyc......

Remember that engines used primarily in trucks, so you could post on the various old truck site looking for leads... ...

• 2 weeks later...