For Sale 1990 Buick Reatta Convertible

Chris Durkee

For sale 1990 Maui Blue Buick Reatta convertible with sapphire interior and white top with 69,000 miles.  Asking price is $4,500.00. 1229201509.thumb.jpg.ac4b5e1f96a3346686f378705f280831.jpg1229201513_Burst01.thumb.jpg.b50a387e6f3954e09c86ce22e1ebf6cb.jpg1229201505.thumb.jpg.64e427c0be4f4cbfc2c1cbd477d2e4a2.jpg

Does require some TLC.  Please call for details:  Sorry for the lousy pictures, the driveway was too icy to back out and get back in. 

Chris Durkee

Trinidad, Colorado 81082

720-999-1854

crd8481@gmail.com 

1229201508.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I understand.  I am probably too old to restore a Reatta, but I always wanted to restore one.  I would love to have #105 back.  I like historacally significant cars, even if they have no value.  I remember sitting in #105, and knowing it was one of the 1st retail delivered cars, and even then was a car that had to be pulled from the executive pool.  I ran my hands over the dash and the original door panels.  I remember driving it.  It was a fun car to find.  Like Wayne Carini I like the chase.  At the time I found the oldest remaining Reatta in the world, I was spending perhaps 10-15 hours per week searching the US for early or interesting Reattas.    It was my hobby, like those who look for 1 of Challengers, Chevelle SS's or whatever.  

This car I like.  I am a Maui fan.  As you know Marck Barcker sold me a 1 of 1 Maui Tan 1991 coupe, another car that you would likely regard as a waste of time.   In regard to this car, you have the advantage of low mileage yet it clearly begs for a restoration, and can be had at a reasonable price.  

Unfortunately I am out of the restoration hobby.  My 2 Reattas rest quietly in the Iowa winter, while appreciating 3% annually.  

I am not sure what is visible that needs a complete repaint? I see a replacement hood, but not much else. The hood does beg the question as to why, but not much else jumps out to me. Perhaps the steering wheel cover and the sketchy appearance of the top of the dash are questionable. Maybe it is just me, but I greatly desire original paint over even the best repaint. I want to know what how it has aged and cared for rather than what's underneath being a mystery. Of course, I value these cars as drivers, not as investments. JMHO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

On a positive note, it does have a fantastic looking alternator.

Not to mention its bracket...looks to be brand spankin' new.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2seater said:

I am not sure what is visible that needs a complete repaint? I see a replacement hood, but not much else. The hood does beg the question as to why, but not much else jumps out to me. Perhaps the steering wheel cover and the sketchy appearance of the top of the dash are questionable. Maybe it is just me, but I greatly desire original paint over even the best repaint. I want to know what how it has aged and cared for rather than what's underneath being a mystery. Of course, I value these cars as drivers, not as investments. JMHO

Look at the car on a big screen, the right front fender appears to have a major paint issue, there are marks and scratches all over the rear, the left headlight has been replaced or... the interior is tired, looks like it was rode hard and put away wet for a car with 69K miles.  There wouldn't be much original paint on the car and even if you only had to paint the hood and light it would make the rest look awful. The top is also on its way out.  I would consider it a rough daily driver for someone 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

Look at the car on a big screen, the right front fender appears to have a major paint issue, there are marks and scratches all over the rear, the left headlight has been replaced or... the interior is tired, looks like it was rode hard and put away wet for a car with 69K miles.  There wouldn't be much original paint on the car and even if you only had to paint the hood and light it would make the rest look awful. The top is also on its way out.  I would consider it a rough daily driver for someone 

Fair enough. As I mentioned in my comments, I am far from a collector, so battle scars aren't a big issue with me. I do agree that new paint in one area can make the surroundings dim by comparison, I have seen exactly that myself. I don't consider convertibles for purchase in any case, for any price, so perhaps that alters my perception as well? 

In this case I agree with Y Job Fan. And others. Nobody, meaning few, are restoring Reattas. There are just too many nice ones still left.  But if one were to restore a Reatta and it has been done and I still think they are not a bad choice for restoration- then a low mileage car like this one is best over say a 150,000 mile car.  Miles are miles. As Dave knows and others- some Reattas go a long time.  My continuous upheaval in my marriage, now ended, and my lack of a quality garage environment meant I could not tear down my 2 Reatta projects and restore them. But I started to by dismantling an 88 parts car and was pleasantly surprised by the angles and clearances to remove parts. With a 12 pack if good beer, tunes, and a climate controlled garage, I could have essentially removed 85% of that parts cara viable parts and left a carcuss in a long 3 day weekend.  Which I have done to other older Buicks I restored.  (Not in 3 days)  Unfortunately I had a dangerous unheated poorly lit garage which was too small to do 2 cars. 

But this car is in a generally well liked color, it's a convertible and can likely be had at a nearly name your price sale price with what we consider low mileage. And from a dry part of the country, salt wise.  

a) Garage always fills all available space. I have over 2000 sq ft and too many cars.

b) GM FRAC cars of the 80s (Fiero, Reatta, Allante, Corvette (C4)) don't get no respect.

This means nice ones are cheap and parts/project cars are pocket change. Since this one needs a respray and AC is unknown...