Any opinions on 1985 Rivieras are they good running reliable cars to own ??

StylishOne

I found a factory non vinyl top car but it needs a tranny seal .. are these reliable cars ? I owned an XRS Toro and remember doing ( I think ) Transaxles?   that we’re clicking  I don’t recall anything else an issue 

Any of you  guys who know them and know price to fix them? 

Edited by StylishOne (see edit history)

• StylishOne changed the title to Any opinions on 1985 Rivieras are they good running reliable cars to own ??

Should be pretty much the same car underneath as your Toro was, but "tuned" to be a Buick rather than a possibly more sporty Oldsmobile.  Pricing seems to be "flat" as tp appreciation and such.  But that can be a good thing if you keep it from deteriorating and keep it nice.

The clicking you mention was probably from a worn front drive axle.  A somewhat normal situation on any fwd vehicle as the miles accumulate.

The trans seal that's leaking, if it's sealing a moving shaft, there's probably a bushing the shaft runs in that is worn and will need replacement if the new seal is to last as it should.  So check that part out.

Many Rivs could have the Olds 307, but I suspect most had the Buick 3.8L V-6.  Neither is going to be a powerhouse in performance.  Make siure it's got a decent history of oil changes.  Probably best to not do a turbo model as that was before GM got their turbo applications fully lined-out, as I recall.  Quite crude in comparison to the later GNs, by comparison.

Others might have some additional information,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Thanks. This one doesn’t have the clicking  but it does have a tranny leak I think the guy said mostly when running . 
I’m not too sure why guys aren’t wanting them they’re a nice style that stood the ravages of time and taste.. 

So would it become a decent daily driver around town n hour trips or forget it?  I used to use a 77-79 CDV. For daily driver till I started buying new cars every 2 years ..

The '85 Riviera was an excellent touring car.  I owned one for a few years.  But, most of them had the OLDS 307 vs. the 3.8L V6 or the turbo V6.  The 307 was lacking in HP but the car drove great and floated like a cruiser.  If I remember correctly, the 1985 Riviera was the highest production year of all Rivieras.  

• Like 2

The XRS Toro was the previous body style (Prior 79), there is absolutely nothing in common with those cars and an 85 riv or even an 85 Toro except they are front wheel drive. The Eldo, Riv and Toro were new ground up in 79.  a Those Toros of the XRS years were cumbersome boats and the Riv would feel like a nimble sports car in comparison and they by no means are that.   If I were looking for a Riv of those years I would opt for the 79 with a 350 or a Turbo car.  The cars are fantastic road cars, extremely well styled and luxurious.  Power is just adequate for what they are  

image.png

I had an '85 Delta 88 with the 307, now that's under-powered!  Still, it and the my 250Kmi 5.3 LS in my Silverado are two of the smoothest running engines I've owned.  The only issue I had with it was a coolant leak from the intake manifold gasket.  Once I replaced that it was trouble-free (including the 'electronic' Quadrajet).  The Olds was a fine cruiser, but was in no hurry to get to 60 mph.  ;)