Garage 4 post lift 7000 lbs

Gents, I studied and studied over the best selection of garage lifts. I did all I could to buy American. My wants and needs coupled with I wanted to spend could not balance out for an American product. 
The two post lift just did not resonate with me, so I bought a 7000 lb capacity four post Challenger from a dealer in DE. The dealer assured me for what I was going to use the lift it was plenty strong and safe. The dealer installed the lift and I bolted the uprights in my 5” concrete floor.

As I’ve aged physical problems out of my control made it necessary I have a lift. With the repairs and restoration I’ve been able to do with my lift it has more than paid for itself. I have a 10 ft ceiling and enough space to raise the 63 Riv and stand under with ease. So, if budget allows you have the space and you are a marginally competent mechanic I’d recommend you have a lift. Maintaining the under carriage is a breeze with the lift. 

1BAE116E-565A-4C9A-AFC6-EBC09FE794ED.jpeg

F0FC9A1D-43D1-4EC8-BA92-DAF6A53CE187.jpeg

• Like 6

I will comment and say A two post lift with the movable supports would give you more room and more access to the car. On mine I have a Jack that moves on rails back and forth. To take off a tire you must Jack the car up already on the lift.

Arthritis I’m my back really limits your bending and twisting. I’m sure most of you already know about stiff joints!

3 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Arthritis I’m my back really limits your bending and twisting. I’m sure most of you already know about stiff joints!

I'm a fast learner on that subject 😒   Thanks for your input on these 4 posts.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

On 12/10/2020 at 5:13 AM, Turbinator said:

On mine I have a Jack that moves on rails back and forth.

I did the same when I bought my Direct Lift.  Local support was important to me and I also had them install mine.  The fact that the Direct Lift is ALI certified sealed it for me.  I was a little nervous about access with a 4-post, but I wanted to use mine for winter storage also, so that ruled-out a 2-post.  Needless to say, like Turbinator, I'm very happy with my lift and undercarriage access really is quite good.  The optional, sliding axle jack was money well spent.

image.thumb.png.db5f233fa4d63093a127e712f0306a1f.png

• Like 2

Like you, I have a 10-foot ceiling.  As you see, there's about 1 1/2" of clearance when I pull the Riviera into position with about 2" to the ceiling at the closest point.  But hey, a miss is as good as a mile, right?  ;)

12 hours ago, EmTee said:

Like you, I have a 10-foot ceiling.  As you see, there's about 1 1/2" of clearance when I pull the Riviera into position with about 2" to the ceiling at the closest point.  But hey, a miss is as good as a mile, right?  ;)

EmTee- A victory nonetheless!

it has occurred to me to have a second collector car. You have demonstrated I have space. Of course the car height comes in to the equation. I’m not sure I have the desire to renovate another car. My car was in original when I got it. I could have lived with the overall condition if the car was a kept as a seasonal weekend driver. It was in me to improve the car to be as road worthy as possible for long trips.

My first trip was over 800 miles and the only thing I experienced was a trunk leak and a firewall leak from rainwater kicking up on the interstate.

Since then I’ve done some add on items that weren’t necessary, but I wanted them: security, coolant over flow tank, batter cut off switch, 4 note horns, vacuum trunk release, and some other minor stuff. I did have the engine rebuilt top to bottom. I’ll get the pic this morning of drill guides.

3 hours ago, Turbinator said:

it has occurred to me to have a second collector car. You have demonstrated I have space. Of course the car height comes in to the equation.

You could always let some air out of the tires if necessary!  :lol:

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2021 at 9:17 PM, Turbinator said:

I’ll second the 11! Did you design the ceiling for the garage at 11 feet when you built? I love the Sedanette styling you have on the top deck.

I think it's actually 11',2". But yeah, there was some intentional reason I  chose that dimension when I designed it. Only now years later I can't remember why! I think it was a compromise between having room for a lift while not making it too tall for the inside stairway up to the 2nd floor loft. 

9 hours ago, Wheelnut said:

I think it's actually 11',2".

The art of assembly and building always amazes me how much thought goes in to space utilization. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wasted space or did not allow enough space. I drew an 880 square foot 3 bay garage, stand alone. I put in what I thought necessary for ceiling height for a lift.

My father in law a licensed professional engineer and at one time a supervising engineer built the. Garage for me. He did not use any supports in the middle of the garage. He specified engineered roof trusses. In summation in worked out good. I’ve always been the helper on residential construction work. Never laid out a job. I’ll get a pic when I can find it. 

Four post lifts are fantastic for both service and storage. I built my garage ceiling at 13 feet for my tall pre war cars. I bought 9k lifts that go extra high. I put the "thin" cars on top. I have 85 inches clear underneath........makes for so much room you don't even have to duck to get in and out of the car. Best thing about lifts.........a much smaller garage saves yearly tax bills that can run up to thousands of dollars per year. When building a house or garage, spending a little more in the beginning saves thousands later on. Two post lifts are not good options for many cars..........the four post also has some drawbacks......here is something to consider.........much less than a larger garage, and no posts in the way. They will handle a Duesenberg as is.....and no problems with door clearance.............I also like these new platform lifts because you can put a motorcycle or jet ski on them........as well as lawn mowers and kids bikes.............I have seen one with a platform that is the "workshop with a bench and tool box".

PL-6KT.jpg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Love having my 4 post.  Leaves my 2nd bay open to pull in and work on other cars or household projects.  I did 12ft side walls on my building to accommodate.  It's nice, I can run the car up and down with the hood up when working on it and have plenty of space.

20200907_150725_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...