1950 buick air conditioning

Mr. Reed

Hardest thing about installing AC in my Sunbird (NA from factory) was where provided a template for two holes for the hoses in the firewall. Was an inch from the passenger head of the SBC.

Really no big with the proper tools.

Think some early ACs did not have a clutch. Idea of a non-continuous AC is fairly recent. Remember some installing a cut-out switch.

44 minutes ago, padgett said:

Hardest thing about installing AC in my Sunbird (NA from factory) was where provided a template for two holes for the hoses in the firewall. Was an inch from the passenger head of the SBC.

Really no big with the proper tools.

Think some early ACs did not have a clutch. Idea of a non-continuous AC is fairly recent. Remember some installing a cut-out switch.

I think you might want to check your information AC was available from the factory on all Monza, Sunbird , Skyhawk, and Starfires. I have several Monza's and skyhawks with AC, and on the H body cars it is a bear of a job to install one. I know putting just a heater core in an AC car is whole day affair, and then some

Besides I thought the original posters question was about installing aftermarket AC in a 50 Buick? not a late 70's early 80's GM "H" body car which is totally unrelated to this topic, and his question (I think)

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Buick Bugle I just received has an article on a 1950 Estate Wagon with aftermarket AC.  

Membership has has its privileges I’ve heard on TV. This would be membership in the Buick Club of America.  😉

31 minutes ago, padgett said:

Sorry John but the c60 was NA on '78 Sunbird coupe with V8 and 4-speed. I tried.

You were not specific about the drivetrain, you said

8 hours ago, padgett said:

Hardest thing about installing AC in my Sunbird (NA from factory) was where provided a template for two holes for the hoses in the firewall.

The lack of specifics could mislead people. Your car was one of less then 500 made, but again this thread is not about you or your cars. It is about aftermarket AC in a 50 Buick, correct?

• Like 1

Actually '78 production of Sunbirds with V-8s and 4-speeds was 63 coupes and 66 fastbacks (see below) and became available mid-year (March) '78. Mentioned many times in other threads so didn't feel need to repeat.

Most of my knowledge is from cars I've owned. That said have quite a bit of experience with GM ACs back to when most was in the trunk and had plastic ducts in the rear window. Have worked on many over the years. The key is cleanliness at all times and to have a good, two stage vacuum pump.

My point was while there have been many designs over the years, they are all basically simple systems and while GM mostly used an A6 compressor (until the DA-6 came along, the least said about the better), most others used a York. Must admit I chuckle when see a "restoration" with a Sanden compressor.

And to the original question waaaay back at the start of adding an aftermarket AC, was just relating that I didn't find it difficult in the S'bird and would contact ackits.com about either a compressor with a 6v clutch or one without a clutch.

document63.jpg