1932 Ford BB

Brent E

I have a 32 BB with a pickup bed configuration and four cylinder engine. The truck is not restored, is all stock and is in very good shape. It runs and drives well and has been garaged for decades. No rust or body damage, just faded paint. Can anyone point me in a direction to estimate the value of the truck?

Brent

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_9329.jpg

• Like 3

That’s a very rare truck.  I’ve only ever seen a period photo of one configured that way.  I’ve had an AA and a BB in the past, there’s a Model AA club and forum with good people and information on the big iron.  Seems the BBs with the V8 are more desirable for obvious reasons, and a warford overdrive and the 5.17 high speed rear will push the price and desirability up if equipped. Those rear fenders are super rare.  Really nice truck you have there, my guestimate price range would be 8-12K as it sits.  These trucks are slow so that diminishes the number of guys who want one, and the nicer you make them the harder they seem to get rid of.  

• Thanks 1

Ford called it their "Service Body", exclusively for the131.5" AA chassis . It was built by Briggs for Ford and offered from January 1931 until early 1934. They were never a big seller, being marketed as a high-end tow and service truck, mostly to Ford Lincoln dealerships for 715.oo with an optional hand-cranked winch adding another 75.oo. It never was a big seller- Ford ordered 1000 from Briggs, but they only delivered about one half that total by 1932 and the last few years it was available, it was heavily discounted to dealers to get rid of them.

Rare? for sure.

Value? You gotta get at least two serious buyers interested in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A great find, a rare very desirable truck, might look even better if it had a tow hoist originally and one could be reinstalled. I think $10K is low, but as stated, you need at least 2 interested buyers to get top dollar. I would be surprised if some Ford dealership that also focuses on service is not keen on buying it.  

Thanks guys! What a wealth of knowledge you are.  My father, who was a city employee bought this truck from the City of Kansas City who had used it for a Fire Department hose truck at one time. As far as I know, our family is the second owner of this truck. The condition is incredible in the grand scheme of things. It's all there and in good shape. I did see a small spot on the drivers door toward the bottom that appears to have some putt in it. Absolutely no visible rust that I can see.

If a guy was looking for one of these, it would appear he would sure have a hard time finding one.

Thanks again for your help.

There are a few of these around but very few. As stated it would've likely served as a tow truck and would've had a wrecker boom mounted in the bed, at least the couple I've seen were equipped that way. These trucks have a great look to them and I'd be proud to own one. Definitely $10-12k+ the way it sits IMHO. The rarity will make it very desirable to Model AA/BB collectors.

9 hours ago, Brent E said:

Thanks again guys. Great information. If you know of anyone looking to buy I may be interested in selling.

Brent

816-719-2637

Out of curiosity, I posted on the FordBarn Early V-8 forum re your truck.  I figured those guys would know if anyone does - DavidG is probably THE 32 expert.  I'm not dissing the truck.  I still think it's very cool - just looking for more info.  FWIW, the thread is here:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1939921&posted=1#post1939921

it is amazing how much information and the level of detail you guys have. I read the link you had sent. It is very interesting and I would bet these guys really know what they are talking about. Regardless of the minute details, I would think finding another truck in this condition like this would be very difficult. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2020 at 2:12 PM, Brent E said:

Thanks guys! What a wealth of knowledge you are.  My father, who was a city employee bought this truck from the City of Kansas City who had used it for a Fire Department hose truck at one time. As far as I know, our family is the second owner of this truck. The condition is incredible in the grand scheme of things. It's all there and in good shape. I did see a small spot on the drivers door toward the bottom that appears to have some putt in it. Absolutely no visible rust that I can see.

If a guy was looking for one of these, it would appear he would sure have a hard time finding one.

Thanks again for your help.

Have you established an asking price ?

• 1 month later...

Can any of you guys suggest a good place to buy engine parts for the 32 BB? It has a four cylinder. I am not certain if there was just one mode available or if I even have the original engine in the truck. Looking for advice as to how to identify what I have and where to get parts.