Plug - in hybrids are the car industries Wolf in Sheep's Clothing Has anyone heard anything about this headline I saw ?

Mark Gregory

20 minutes ago, padgett said:

100 years ago Boss Kettering and Tom Midgley were working on ways to increase mpg because they were worried about running out of petroleum.  La meme chose.

I've always been amused about the quantity of crude oil estimates.  1. Its gonna run out soon!  2. Reserves increase exponentially. I don't think we will run out of crude oil anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

As long as we keep using fossil fuel to keep the demand up it will be a long time before we will have those shortages.

In the last three years the U.S. has been the worlds largest oil producer and refiner. As long as we stay the course and keep those policies in place we will be OK.

Gas demand took a nose dive during Covid19 and the price for crude (and gas) followed. (not sure thats germane, but interesting nevertheless)

Based upon the estimates from the automobile industry, the number of electric cars vs gas cars will be 10% by 2020, and 30% by 2040.  (great article here:  https://about.bnef.com/electric-vehicle-outlook/)

Gas demand will follow. How that effects supply/demand remains to be seen. With lots of refineries and few customers, prices could drop? Or, the power companies focus on renewables and decommission expensive unsafe refineries and the supply falls dramatically as well. Smarter people than I will have to chime in on projections.  Curious how it plays out.  Demand will never go away. We will have our antiques after-all, and I assume other modes of transportation (delivery trucks, etc.) aren't going away anytime soon.

8 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

For those old enough to remember sitting in line.

image.jpeg.fa51428b8da20c2b3ec0282e3c9d76b8.jpeg

image.jpeg.5975e094abcc9a5519694a142223ce4e.jpeg

image.jpeg.88e5f46e7d01a871f6a0141bf258cdfa.jpeg

image.jpeg.909b82d05fd0fcbd8194f0e5bbf107aa.jpeg

image.gif.e282e3237243c179c1afd5ab077948fc.gif

During two separate oil crises in the 1970s, Americans from coast to coast faced persistent gas shortages as the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or OPEC, flexed its muscles and disrupted oil supplies. In 1973 and again in 1979, drivers frequently faced around-the-block lines when they tried to fill up.Nov 10, 2012

Oh yea ,,,, I was on the correct side of this at the time.

I had the gas and you didn't.

I was bribed in many ways to let go of the precious juice.

Bottles of my favorite beverages were the most popular, extra cash was big too, even got a casserole on occasion. 

I had a customer that watched all of this and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Yup, silly me, sold the gas station and went into the boat business. (Can you say from the frying pan into the fire)?

Part of the sale was that I didn't have to pay extra for gasoline and could get it if it were available without waiting in line.

Everybody around me told me I was a fool, just like that guy that over paid for a gasoline business. But I lasted much longer than he did and was able to set myself up for the long haul.

My dad told me that I reminded him of my grandfather, always taking ballsie chances in his business life, he did well too and I am sure we both had a lot of fun on the way.

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

Oh yea ,,,, I was on the correct side of this at the time.

I had the gas and you didn't.

I was bribed in many ways to let go of the precious juice.

Bottles of my favorite beverages were the most popular, extra cash was big too, even got a casserole on occasion. 

I had a customer that watched all of this and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Yup, silly me, sold the gas station and went into the boat business. (Can you say from the frying pan into the fire)?

Part of the sale was that I didn't have to pay extra for gasoline and could get it if it were available without waiting in line.

Everybody around me told me I was a fool, just like that guy that over paid for a gasoline business. But I lasted much longer than he did and was able to set myself up for the long haul.

My dad told me that I reminded him of my grandfather, always taking ballsie chances in his business life, he did well too and I am sure we both had a lot of fun on the way.

I had an easier way of screwing the pooch. A deisel VW Rabbit, a 1000 gal heating oil tank and a transfer pump. BTW, a Rabbit will run just fine on a 50/50 fuel oil and jet fuel mix. ..............Bob

My Jeep is flex-fuel and could be adapted to E100 fairly easily. I wonder how 200 proof matches to E100, could generate that in my back yard.

There is something niggling about that photo that says a 1911 Grille done in a 1935 restomod.

rear.jpg

Here is something very interesting from the Bloomberg site. 1,  they have a new section called Bloomburg Green, which deals with environmental issues. 2, BP stock has dropped to a 25 year low, just after announcing it’s going green. Looks like everybody hates oil and gas.

Yet the Gulf of Mexico oil spill did not affect Bp as much as this announcement ?

image.thumb.png.2fc65872150910545b9623ee810b7c51.png

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)