Fire extinguisher: Where to place in a ‘63 Riviera

rodneybeauchamp

Hi all,

after a recent Coffee n Cars event, where a discussion on the value of fire extinguishers took place, have decided to put one on both of my Buicks.

Am interested where members of the forum have fitted an extinguisher in their first generation Riviera.  And why they chose that particular spot!

In many of the US car show pictures you often see the extinguisher in front of the front tyre. Is this mandatory for entrants for some shows?

Photos would be a big plus.

Many thanks

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

The definition of front regarding the positioning of fire extinguisher In relation to the spare tire needs to be defined. Rodney, it is only because I lack sense of direction and good sense do I need clarification. It would seem reaching over the spare tire to retrieve the fire extinguisher in an emergency a hindrance.

In any case I’m mounting my fire extinguisher on a heavy plank of wood. The plank will keep the fire extinguisher from rolling In the trunk ( boot) yet allow for portability. I know one gent that keeps the fire extinguisher in his back seat of his Riviera..

Turbinator 

In an emergency the extinguisher needs to be readily available & secured in place. Rumaging for the trunk key & opening the trunk to retrive one is a waste of valuble time.

In the case of fire it needs to be a instantanious response. Every second that goes by it grows by leaps & bounds.

• Like 1

I thought this was a great topic so had to chime in.  I lost my first car, a 1970 Olds Cutlass when the fuel line snapped and caught on fire while I was in it.  To the post above, even if I had a fire extinguisher in my trunk I would have had minimal chance to get it in time.  If possible, might be best to find a way to store it inside the car if possible.  At least I still have the Cutlass emblem on my bookshelf to remember it by....

I'm not a BCA member but I have been an onlooker at a couple of events. I know that a fire extinguisher is part of their required display.  What those guys do with the fire extinguisher when the car is not on display is probably a personal choice.  In the garage or under the seat?

I have a 5 lb. Halon extinguisher on the floor behind the driver's seat. It is in a shallow box. It is not fastened down because I want to be able to grab it very quickly when needed.

Why Halon? Because it will put out the fire without causing more damage to the car with a bunch of corrosive salts.  Dry powder extinguishers are a real mess when used. Just don't use Halon in a confined space.

• Like 5