Peking to Paris in a Ford Model A

Michael Lattavo

Thanks for the advice!  Looked through that thread, seems to be more of which car to purchase.  I am looking more for Model A specific upgrades I might want to do - such as springs, shocks, adding a reserve gas tank, re-routing fuel lines, etc...

Thanks for the replies thus far!

14 hours ago, cahartley said:

I bought a '29 Model A and was terribly disappointed with the seat........talk about taking 9 backward steps....... :wacko:

I have a '29 Special Coupe and couldn't be happier with the seat.

Having talked at length with the guys that drove the 1929 Studebaker in a previous Peking-Paris race, their biggest problem was not engine reliability, it was broken spokes in the wire wheels. Imagine finding a guy in the middle of the Gobi desert to re-weld the spokes, but they did -several times. 

The road conditions seem to be tough and will tear a car apart. Make friends with a rich crew accompanied by a support truck with lots of equipment. 

Hi Michael,

How much can you deviate from stock as far as suspension modifications ? You will want to build the best off-road racer within the rules. Also, how much dirt experience do you have ? Doesn't take too long before you understand how important tire choice is. Can you modify enough to equip with the best off-road radial tires available ? Tires are the tunable part of the suspension. Lots of wheel travel with shock towers full of the best gas shocks appropriate for allowable wheel travel. An extremely robust axle truss to protect that all important third member. I have moved a number of vehicles many a mile at high velocity on dirt.    Please let us know the answers to the above.   -    Carl 

A friend of mine made the run in a stock 1965 Impala 4 door, they broke some suspension parts along the way but otherwise they had a great time.  He did say don't take anything you really like it is hard on the cars.  They did go through the car and reinforced as much as possible they put in a roll bar and all new stock brake system.   I think they put in a locking rear end and some light truck tires.  If it is the same one he took, he said the food was great lots of refreshments available, lots of support team, he said it was a once in a lifetime experience, he highly recommended it.

You might want to contact this guy he did it twice both times in a Model A

http://www.vintageadventurer.com.au/the-adventures/peking-to-paris-2016/

https://www.endurorally.com/events/the-7th-peking-to-paris-motor-challenge/