Recommended Posts

I am considering having the front and rear shocks rebuilt on my car. Has anyone tackled this recently? Sure appreciate the input. 

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Benefits of AACA Membership.

It is NOT a do-it-yourself project.  On the front shocks you have to grind the arms apart at the joining weld and have a BIG PRESS to disassemble.    Use the rebuilding service closest to you due to the weight and cost of shipping.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm waiting for USPS to deliver one left front and one right rear Delco Lovejoy knee action shocks I had rebuilt by Apple Hydraulics in Calverton, NY.   Cost was 335.00 each but my shocks are older than their website lists services for.  Depending on what series car you have you might do better than that.  Apple has specific pricing for 40 Buick models.

 

https://www.applehydraulicsonline.com/collections/buick-1940/

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
Revise link, add text (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the input, the car is in the upholstery shop and trying to think of the next item to tackle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Mike-  No problem.  Who is doing your upholstery?  That's an open assignment on my car.  I have vinyl or leather rumble seat cushions and faux mohair interior seat and door panels to do.

 

Dave-

 

BCA-20435

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used Apple in the past, but next time I'll try Five Points, as recommended by John, above. I will not be using Apple again.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

Hey Mike-  No problem.  Who is doing your upholstery?  That's an open assignment on my car.  I have vinyl or leather rumble seat cushions and faux mohair interior seat and door panels to do.

 

Dave-

 

BCA-20435

Hi Dave, 

I purchased my upholstery from Labaron Bonney about five years ago and had have of it installed. The installer did me no favors on the weak install of the headliner and I have finished up several other projects on the car, so I am hoping to pick the car up this week. There is only two upholstery shops in Asheville, North Carolina and James Upholstery is the one everyone recommends. Not cheap, but what can you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I've used Apple in the past, but next time I'll try Five Points, as recommended by John, above. I will not be using Apple again.

 

Matt, is there something going on with Apple/ did you have a bad experience? i was planning on sending in the rear shocks for my Century to Apple soon, and obviously would like to avoid any possible issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stooge- I will have my shocks back from Apple today so I can put my 2 cents worth in.   I hadn't heard anything bad about Apple either until Matt's post suggested there might be a story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingrudy said:

Hi Dave, 

I purchased my upholstery from Labaron Bonney about five years ago and had have of it installed. The installer did me no favors on the weak install of the headliner and I have finished up several other projects on the car, so I am hoping to pick the car up this week. There is only two upholstery shops in Asheville, North Carolina and James Upholstery is the one everyone recommends. Not cheap, but what can you do?

 Ok Mike;  Thanks for the feedback.  Wish I was a 20-something kid again, my old car then was a 1931 Buick 8-86 coupe, new car was a 69 Ram Air IV GTO I bought new and a buddy of mine who lived in the neighborhood was an upholsterer for Ford Body Engineering in Dearborn, MI.  He sewed a ton of show seats for Ford and head a steady stream of guys showing up with experimental GM and Chrysler seat jobs at his home.  I used to go over there and watch him sew on his home machines.  Doing the stuff I need done for my car would have been a piece of cake for him...

 

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is anything I can do for you with upholstery don't hesitate to call. David Brady, Dave's Interior Restorations, 525 Chestnut St., Emmaus, PA 18049 610-965-2172. BCA #244 and this is what we do - Antique, Classic Collector , Custom Cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks David I will certainly keep you in mind. I have a pair of assist straps that I will need to have reworked. Is this something that you could help me with?

 

Thanks,

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2020 at 1:13 PM, century37 said:

If there is anything I can do for you with upholstery don't hesitate to call. David Brady, Dave's Interior Restorations, 525 Chestnut St., Emmaus, PA 18049 610-965-2172. BCA #244 and this is what we do - Antique, Classic Collector , Custom Cars.

Hello David;  I wasn't sure if you were replying to my post regarding an old friend who used to do upholstery or  to Mike who originated this thread.  If you were responding to me here's the deal.  My car is in Michigan and needs rumble seat (vinyl or leather) and interior seat and door panel upholstery (faux mohair).   I have reproduction seat and back cushion springs only from Snyders for the rumble seat and have the original wood and iron seat frame, original seat cushion and a set of new in box Snyders reproduction seat and back springs for the interior seat.  I have a scrap of the original door panel upholstery that was removed from the trim board and odds and ends of original windlace and that's it.  I'm pretty sure whoever does the seats and door panels would either need to come see the car or need the car in their shop and the car is 645 miles from Emmaus PA.   If you had patterns for the door panels or if I could make the trim board panels, I could probably deliver the seat related parts to you in Emmaus, it would be a good excuse to go visit my sister in Doylestown.  Does something like that sound like it could work? 

 

Thanks

Dave 

Before 016.jpg

 

Forensic 004.jpg

 

 

RS 184.jpg

RS 212.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
Add pictures (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now