Meier Brothers Express truck ????

Modeltjunkee

More pictures might help get some suggestions or more interest and discussion?. I found the listing to have a look for myself, and added it here for others to see..

Exact Text Wording Copied from EBAY ad >>"Up for auction is a I am selling this lot of parts that came from a American Express truck from the teens or 1920s in Henry, Illinois as marked on the underside of the handmade hood "Meirer Brothers Henry Ill American Express". All of the parts are handmade except the radiator which has a couple of outlet/inlet pipes soldered and at least one radiator fin tube has one side loose. The hood matches the handmade tin work on the firewall and is good craftsmanship along with the wood patterns. The brass fuel manifold looks like a reproduction along with one of the brackets for the foot throttle. The long fenders with running board is 12 feet long and looks original with square nuts and solid. The two plywood cutouts are newer."

t12.thumb.jpg.8ea2d0c19446bc530d39c5a56578029e.jpgt11.thumb.jpg.3fc06e79ca8d1de12a0e92df83375fa6.jpgt10.thumb.jpg.cf01b455dd4c442bda95fc038dbc596e.jpgt9.thumb.jpg.3c0ea7a9be9de930a6e47fde39b28918.jpgt8.thumb.jpg.51dbe5dd047f12da34117bd1c0a18f43.jpgt7.thumb.jpg.adf689a2c302bc4abdfb81d3cc9adf81.jpgt6.thumb.jpg.9e5852cba91921812feb43a07e87316e.jpgt5.thumb.jpg.403e9a587af2189cc6c26740ed760e2b.jpgt4.thumb.jpg.370fa02423a581694e5ee9b4ae6abb70.jpgt3.thumb.jpg.d3c233d4e99d4e364e4a8131e98cb629.jpgt2.thumb.jpg.67d874cafb62e645622e27cbbb65a92e.jpgt1.thumb.jpg.fe0cec4a7462bccbb58c7a461d0470d4.jpg

Cool stuff! Those parts appear to be made circa 1904-07 according to the style and shape of the hood radiator etc. the writing states that the company was probably a local express company not a manufacturing company.  The Oiler also looks the earlier time frame as well. I can’t explain the fenders. If you decide to sell the stuff I am interested in saving it. Thanks George Albright Ocala Florida cell weekdays 10-4 EST best. 352 843 1624. Email gnalbright@gmail.com 

I googled Meier brothers express Henry Illinois 1910 and same with 1920 instead. Both showed ads or at least mention of Meier brothers spot cash 5 and 10 counter in the Henry Republican newspaper.  No info in the kimes-Clark book on Meier cars . We now know that’s the name of the business where vehicle was used,not the manufacturer of the vehicle. Sincerely George Albright 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, George Albright said:

I googled Meier brothers express Henry Illinois 1910 and same with 1920 instead. Both showed ads or at least mention of Meier brothers spot cash 5 and 10 counter in the Henry Republican newspaper.  No info in the kimes-Clark book on Meier cars . We now know that’s the name of the business where vehicle was used,not the manufacturer of the vehicle. Sincerely George Albright 

That's detective work that you are "famous" for on early offbeat vehicles  :) ...

Now you just have to find a chassis to use the bodywork on. Many early trucks ended up as wagons of one sort or another so there are some rolling frames out there. But most will be a bit newer than what your parts appear to be.

Looks like a great start, the bodywork is often the hardest part to find for a very early vehicle.

Greg in Canada

59 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Now you just have to find a chassis to use the bodywork on. Many early trucks ended up as wagons of one sort or another so there are some rolling frames out there. But most will be a bit newer than what your parts appear to be.

Looks like a great start, the bodywork is often the hardest part to find for a very early vehicle.

Greg in Canada

Anyone have an idea how to ID these chassis incase we come across one? Are there any stamped numbers or measurements that will help us verify?

3 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Anyone have an idea how to ID these chassis incase we come across one? Are there any stamped numbers or measurements that will help us verify?

I've worked on a few cars of pre-1908, and the older ones have very primitive frames and are somewhat delicate looking.  This early, cars/trucks were heavily influenced by "late era, horse drawn" implements that some had a steel frame.  The suspension and spring hangers often look horse drawn related.

Take a look at the Our Cars/Restorations forum here, and look at their early frames. 

As far as rear body, you can bet it was nearly identical to a small horse drawn city express body, or a gentleman's wagon that was convertible to use it's removable extra seats for family Church going.  I have one here that I felt I had to save.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Most will be chain drive so that's a good start. Most likely a as F&J suggests a very basic and quite possibly flimsy appearing frame structure. I would expect fairly small section steel channel , possibly with riveted heavy gauge sheet metal connection gussets. And quite likely a sub frame 

mounting for the power unit.

Greg

unnamed (1).jpg

collector-classics-1909-packard-truck-3_large.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If the wheels still exist they will most likely be wood spoke / fellow , large diameter wheels with narrow shrunk on hard rubber tires. Posibly dual tires on the rear but still quite narrow. Cast spoke wheels are somewhat common on British and European trucks of this era but wood dominated in North America.

The hard rubber tires and very low road speed is unfortunately a serious limiting factor to actually driving trucks of this era today. They are a remarkable artifact, but too slow even for most brass car events. Usually 10 - 12 M.P.H. vehicles.

Greg

• Like 1

Use the parts to build an early speedster. Cool radiator and hood . See if there is a patent date on the Oiler and the ignition switch. I am amazed with the above drawings of early trucks. I’d say hes probably correct. I will purchase if you decide to sell. Thanks George Albright Ocala fla.  cell weekdays 10-4 352 843 1624 gnalbright@gmail.com 

The hard part for a big speedster of this era is the chassis. The parts all look to be for quite a wide frame. I would guess at least a 2 ton truck. The only way to build a speedster out of these parts is if you already have a large HP, circa 1906 - 08 

chassis gathering dust. Pretty few and far between these days. 

Finding a suitable truck chassis won't be easy, but I suspect far easier than finding a similar era large car chassis.

Greg

images (2).jpg

1906-Mercedes-120-hp-01.jpg

Thanks For the help

I am going to have fun Building a period correct speedster with all the early brass era parts I have collected over the years .

Amazing detective work, I now know that its not a Mieir brothers truck but they will be a sponsor.

thanks again to all

Jon Bibbens

On 7/18/2020 at 10:18 AM, 1912Staver said:

Most will be chain drive so that's a good start. Most likely a as F&J suggests a very basic and quite possibly flimsy appearing frame structure. I would expect fairly small section steel channel , possibly with riveted heavy gauge sheet metal connection gussets. And quite likely a sub frame 

mounting for the power unit.

Greg

unnamed (1).jpg

collector-classics-1909-packard-truck-3_large.jpg

A 1902 Studebaker electric rear wheel:

02_Studebaker_Rear_Wheel.jpg

• Like 1

That Studebaker must have been a very light duty, city delivery, 1/2 ton or so truck. Little more than buggy wheels. It would be a very interesting item, do you

have any photo's of the whole vehicle ?

Greg

13 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

That Studebaker must have been a very light duty, city delivery, 1/2 ton or so truck. Little more than buggy wheels. It would be a very interesting item, do you

have any photo's of the whole vehicle?

Sure do!  Here-------->  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/-2019-55th-annual-studebaker-drivers-club-international-meet-mansfield-ohio/-2018-54th-annual-studebaker-drivers-club-international-meet-tacoma/110130-award?107550-Award=&highlight=james

Craig

The radiator and hood treatment reminds me of a Casey. On the thread "Period Race Cars to Relieve Some Stress" there is a picture of a Casey race car. The same roll out of the hood to frame can be seen on this car. The standard catalog lists Casey as an obscure maker of cars and trucks.