Can you ID this old truck?

Overdrive

3 minutes ago, oldford said:

Best guess: 17-21 Dodge Bros...

Frank

Looks right to me also, per headlight bucket and fender & hood shape

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

14 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Looks to be on 20" wheels so not earlier than 1925 I think. They didn't get front brakes until 1927-28.

I guess I'm not seeing front brakes on this one...so this truck would be a '25-'26-'27?

I could be wrong here, not quite my area of expertise. But I would expect it may be a Graham Brothers truck. The Graham brothers built trucks for about ten years using Dodge engines, fenders, hoods, lamps, and often many other parts from the Dodge Brothers car company and sold and serviced them through the Dodge dealers. It was an arrangement that benefited both the Dodge family and the Grahams that ended when Chrysler eventually took over Dodge.  Dodge got a major truck line, without having to put the time or effort into designing and building them, and the Grahams who lacked the means to fully fund such an operation got a nationwide dealership network and a reliable source for many of the components required to manufacture trucks.

The Graham brothers began (about 1913) by building "kits" to build trucks from standard automobiles. The kits included chassis extensions and heavy duty rear axles (much like the better known Smith Form-a-truck) and were ready-built for several common automobiles including the model T Ford, Dodge, Maxwell, Overland and others. Kits could also be ordered special for almost any other automobile. History/rumor says that one was built for a Stutz chassis (but I never saw confirmation of it). The arrangement with Dodge was a major step up for them. The profits eventually allowed them to purchase the Paige Detroit automobile company, and again step up into full automobile production.

A timely historic note. John and Horace Dodge died about a year apart, according to some histories, from the continuing flu pandemic (more accurately, the resulting pneumonia and other effects upon other health issues, liver problems etc) that continued to ravage the world for a few years from 1918. While John and Horace loved the wealth and power of running one of the largest automobile manufacturing concerns in the world, the rest of the family only wanted the wealth. After the deaths of the brothers, the family struggled to run the company, and fought amongst themselves over many of the decisions. After a couple failed attempts to sell the company, Chrysler got control, and preferring to do everything "in-house", dissolved the arrangement with the Graham brothers.

From the early into mid '20s, Dodge built very nice pickup trucks (either open or screen-side) and some other light trucks under the Dodge name. But almost anything looking like a dodge heavier truck was built by Graham.

I would guess this one to be about 1925, but not sure about that due to the drum headlamps.

• Like 2

They had the drum headlamps in 1925

I've studied the 1928 to 1932 models much more so if I'm wrong please correct me, but the single belt line on the panel section and the slanted window at the door tells me its a 96" panel first made in 1926. See The Dodge Story page 52 for a close example. Most of the other Graham Brothers trucks had the straight header for the window header on the door. Notice the top of the window is slanted on this model. There's also a 1926 commercial car panel with a shorter wheelbase on page 51 of The Dodge Story with these same lines.

I'm pretty confident this is a 1926. If we knew the wheelbase it would tell us what model. By the looks of it, it looks like it's a BC 1 ton or possibly the DCT 3/4 ton. IF it is the DCT, that's a very, very rare photo of a truck that is virtually non-existent today.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A model T Ford has a 100 inch wheelbase. This truck has got to be much longer than that.

My quick estimate (30 inch outer diameter times five, five determined by 3/4 inch front to back average on the tires on my computer screen, into a bit over four and a half inches on my computer screen for the wheelbase) plus a few inches because the wheelbase was slightly over four and a half inches on my screen (estimating here, I could scale much closer). I would estimate about 135 inch wheelbase. maybe a couple inches more or less.

• Like 1

The reference I made to 96" is the "panel" length (loading space, not the wheelbase). Wheelbase is more than likely the 126" (BC model) in my opinion. 

Sorry for the rough sketch but I think my level of artwork speaks for itself...

Cal DMV 1.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1