Interpreting the color codes Info

MotiveLensPhoto

I have the color code info (not the VIN) from under the hood of my car, a 1973 Riviera.

The color codes don't match any information I can find about the color, the interior, etc. The reason I'm asking is that there are several similar colors and I can't find the exact match just looking at the color sheets. They're all slightly different.

Edited by Golden73 (see edit history)

Were the color sheets produced in late 1972? If so, then they have aged, even sitting in a binder.

And watching them on a monitor, like from this site, also changes the color:

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1973-Buick.html

What is the color code?

If you post a picture of the trim tag I can decode it.  There were two codes, the sales code on the Buick literature and the production code used by Fisher body on the trim tag.   For example Harvest Gold paint was Buick sales code M and Fisher code 60.  For trim, Saddle Cloth with 60/40 front seat in the Riviera was Buick sales code  366 and Fisher code 686.  I think most online paint references use the Fisher codes and most interior places use the Buick sales codes.

10 hours ago, sean1997 said:

If you post a picture of the trim tag I can decode it.  There were two codes, the sales code on the Buick literature and the production code used by Fisher body on the trim tag.   For example Harvest Gold paint was Buick sales code M and Fisher code 60.  For trim, Saddle Cloth with 60/40 front seat in the Riviera was Buick sales code  366 and Fisher code 686.  I think most online paint references use the Fisher codes and most interior places use the Buick sales codes.

That makes sense because the color codes on the sheet I have are nothing like what is under the hood.  I think it's Harvest Gold exterior but it was re-painted before I bought it. The seller said they used the factory paint, but who can be sure.

ST73  4EY87FL1 281966 BDY

TR  684       54   T   PNT

05B   AM6

Thanks for the help.

10 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Were the color sheets produced in late 1972? If so, then they have aged, even sitting in a binder.

And watching them on a monitor, like from this site, also changes the color:

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1973-Buick.html

What is the color code?

54 corresponds to a number on my tag, which is Autumn Gold. The other sheet I found has completely different numbers, such as A60, etc.

ST 73 4EY87 FL1 281966 BDY
TR  684       54   T   PNT
05B   AM6

Fisher body style number = 4EY87
4 = Buick
E = E-body platform
Y = Riviera
87 = 2-door hardtop coupe

FL1 = body built at Flint MI
218966 = body number

Trim 684 = Neutral Cloth with 60/40 Front Seat, available on style 4EY87 (sales code 364)

Paint code 54 = Autumn Gold Metallic (sales code K)
T = Sandalwood vinyl top (sales code 7)

05B = build date = May (05) 1973, second week (B)

Option codes
AM6 = 60/40 Front Seats

• Like 3

On 6/10/2020 at 11:04 AM, Golden73 said:

The seller said they used the factory paint, but who can be sure.

You can be 100% sure it was not repainted with the paint the factory used, as that is a heat cure reflow product that can not be used in a post factory type paint shop. Different binders and possibly different pigments. So any paint bought to spray outside of the OEM factory is an approximate formula that a paint manufacturer came up with to match the OEM type paint color.

"Factory Pack" automotive paint is aftermarket paint by any manufacturer that was supplied to the paint distributor in a can to be sold to shops. It means it was not mixed at the distributor from a mixing bank. At one time it was thought the manufacturer mixing 100 gallons at a time took  better care to match the original spec color than the mixing bank data/person reading the scale for small amounts.