ANFSCD I dood it.

padgett

Just brought home a nice 1989 (200 hp, both tops, no air bag) 64k Allante for less than I sold my 109k 90 'vert for. In many ways is very similar. Cosmetics are nice, underside is pristine,  new AC. In many ways is similar to the Reatta & some parts interchange (HVAC module, wheels). Now begins the play. Think some 17s are next.

89psl1sm.jpg

• Like 1

Do you happen to have plans for a hoist, thinking it would be good in the garage since am one person. OTOH we are now in the 100 days of summer when AC is prime interest.

Having owned a significant percentage of 90 Reatta convertible production thought I'd try something with a removable hardtop and 200 hp.

I built one using 2-inch wide straps, one wrapped front to back, and the other side to side, then meeting at the top. (takes a little adjustment to get the top balanced so it goes up straight). I used a boat hitch winch attached to the garage wall, then a few pulleys then down to the top. Pretty simple, but it worked. You can purchase on eBay a nice set designed for the Allante. And, you can get a small electric winch from Harbor Freight that work well, and eliminate the hoist and pulleys. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

I thought the wheels were neat when the Dow boys put Corvair fans in their wheels to keep them cool but that was in 1970. Am thinking about my fake minilites, gold 17s would go with the red.

No I was specifically looking for an '89. 200 hp, hardtop, no airbag, and I can reprogram it. OTOH I still have my SLK mercs but they have no luggage space when the top is down. starting in '90 they became increasingly decontented and even removed the wind wings for 93. Personally think they got the Northstar right in 2004.

Am making it the way I like: have added a voltmeter, power center, bluetooth, cupholder, and the HUD should be here tomorrow. Haven't gotten around to the airhorns yet. Thinking about a RKE but never bothered with one for my 88 even though have had it for near 20 years.

ps never have liked the Allante steering wheels but that is easy to fix. Have a red Pontiac formula wheel but may be too long. Anyone have a red 88-89 Reatta Wheel or something similar ?

• Like 1

And turns out don't need a red steering wheel but a grey or black one would be nice. Allante store has a lot of stuff but also California prices.  I live in Florida. Now that I have driven a bit wonder if an 88 Reatta dash would fit, makes a lot more sense and much easier to use. Allante dash has 67 buttons three different LCD displays (besides gauge cluster), and four sliders. Armrests have more. Must be a Caddy thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Most similar to the 90-91. Have picked up a number of the center stack dial modules to play with. However first element is changing the steering wheel to a nice gray Reatta one (never liked the Allante wheel when the 85 Thunderbird had one. Too big, too narrow (rim), and no 10-2 or 9-3 rests. OTOH always liked the Reatta 88-89 wheel (had one on my 90), has a slot for the telescopic lever, and working on a way to add the cruise control button, find way for the screwy horn spring, and have lots of time. Still a work in progress but latest below.

newwheel.jpg

Am coming to the conclusion that Pininfarina just added $20K to the price and made it worse. Would be a whole lot easier to drive with the Reatta interior. Think of a $35k Allante. For instance instead of a reliable CRT it has three black defect prone early LCDs with many many buttons. Also to get to the gas door button you have to raise the armrest, push the button and raise the conso glove box lid, and with your other other hand push the button. Couldn't put the fuel door button under the tapedeck because the Pinifarina badge must go there.

And the horn assembly under the steering wheel starts with the tyical GM twist spring thingie. But then it goes to a 1.5" diameter spring that sits on an insulated washer except for two horn pads. Except the insulated washer was keyed brown phenolic and thutty yar on it disintegrates. Guess what phenolic washer (only used in Allante) is unobtanium ? If you see a horn button on the steering column or dash, now you know why.

Do like the removable hard top and 200 hp but is going to take longet than expected to make is usable. At least they are cheap now.

insulator.jpg

Probably but why ? Since Caddies all want premium gas it would be easier to use an L67 and a 4T65E. Am really surprised how many things Buick did better (fixing those). Anyone know of a flat insert for an ashtray ? Fuel and gas release buttons require three hands.

Frankly this is a toy (thought I wanted an XLR but this was 1/4 the price and has a hardtop (which I have not figured how one person can remove. Owner's manual is no help. Think I will need pads. At least I have the carrier also.)). In every way the Reatta CRT is better than the triple LCDs of the Allante, is most like the 90 dash.  Another learning experience but now have nioce replacement.That said everything is screwy for a GM person (fuses are under the ash tray eaxcept for the horn relay and 15A fuse which is hidden by the AC dryer behind the headlight (fixed). - found three relays just jumbled in there. One is for radiator fans. Not certain what other is for. 8A-200 section is not much help.

Steering wheel  horn connection is beyond silly (one positive connection involves a 2" diameter spring). Logical location below tape deck for trunk and gas buttons is used by Pininfarina badge. Think I've figured a way to use a '70 window crank insulator to replace the disintegrating phenolic insulator. Thinking the gold pseudo minilite 17" wheels might look better on the solid red car. Just a way to stay busy and use some of the stuff from the garage. during these strange times. Though was 105F on my patio today so working mainly inside the AC. Cools down about midnight.

Oh well, time to feed the cats.

2 hours ago, handmedownreatta said:

i always wondered if you could use parts from one of those to put a v8 in a reatta.

While not a Chevy fan, I have wondered about that modified LS engine they used in things like the GTP and SS Impalas. I might have the correct models wrong but an LS is relatively compact and they did something with the front of the engine to shorten it for fwd use. It was over 300hp n/a

Looked it up: LS4, 5.3l, 303hp, 323tq and all aluminum.

Edited by 2seater (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Oh I agree but already have a silly hp car, my Judge has a warmed over 400 RA at about 450 hp/ 500 lb-ft & a 4 speed Muncie with posi plus AC.  Only word for dual Cherry Bombs and an H pipe is "bellows". Need to decide whether tripower or dual quads (have both).

OTOH For my street toys I look more at torque and over 250 lb-ft is "enough", CTS is 304 hp V6, 273 lb-ft and 7k redline with a 3.73 posi and a 6 speed automagic, & is quick enough. Allante is 270 lb-ft just doesn't rev past five grand. Nice for merging/cruising/ old school like the Reatta which is a little torque poor at 221 lb-ft.

That forum is ded. Am on three at the moment and while the Allante club has some activity it is focusing more on XLRs now. Guess Allante people have never been as active as Reatta people. I considered the XLR but like the Allante  the first two years had real issues, parts prices are outasight (can find some things on e-Bay and others (HVAC blower module) is the same as the Reatta). Unlike the reatta it has a hardtop (trying to figure out how to remove by one person, hoist is in the other garage.

Will admit being influenced by a number of things, being 1/4 the price made a difference as did also like the Reatta there is still luggage space with the top down (in fact can put a larger object into the trunk than my CTS coupe). That is the big problem with retractables, when down they take up A Lot of space. Also like the Reatta, there is no hydraulics to go wonky, just an 11 step top lowering procedure. Another place that Buick did it better (but didn't have a hardtop.

My biggest irritant, the 85 Thunderbird  steering wheel, is being cured with a 89 Reatta wheel (spline is the same, wiring is radically different/nutty, having to do a "mix and match". Having to build/create an insulator washer since the original phenolic unobtanium is crumbling. Solved the cruise button issue with a momentary SPDT 3/4" rocker on a bracket.

Do wish it had a Teves instead of this Bosch III thingie. Same line pressures but everything else is different. If gives problems I may just switch.

Will admit I looked into the Allante (and the XLR) at least twice before but then owner's wanted more than pocket change, particularly since I didn't want the Northstar (first year and many TSBs). Also since GM didn't get bluetooth rite until about 2014 both start from ground zero. CTS at least had an 8" touchscream so could add Android Auto.

So basically another toy in the toybox as I slowly become even more of a recluse.

5 hours ago, padgett said:

That forum is ded. Am on three at the moment and while the Allante club has some activity it is focusing more on XLRs now. Guess Allante people have never been as active as Reatta people.

I don't doubt that your Allante is a fun car to own and drive. It is certainly unique but I wouldn't buy one because my Reatta has taught me a lesson that no matter how much fun a car is to drive, or how many bells and whistles it has, it's hard to enjoy it when you don't know anyone in your area that you can talk face to face to about it.

This use to be a vibrant forum where it was fun to come and hang out with other Reatta owners and enthusiast. It was almost as good as being able to talk face to face with another Reatta owner. Now it is slowly dying like the Allante forum you describe.  This was once considered to be the forum of the Reatta club. Now the club's forum of choice seems to be a facebook group where you have to be a member of the clique and get permission to participate.  I'm no longer a member of the Reatta club because I don't care to pay dues to an organization that doesn't allow all their members to participate in their forum.

I have always been the type who enjoys a unique car that not just everyone owns but the Reatta is just over the top in that regard. I have never wanted a Mustang, Camaro or Miata but now I'm starting to understand why so many people own them.  It's not about the cars, it's the camaraderie that makes them so popular.  Their forums are thriving. My next toy will be one of them or something similar for that reason.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

The guy I bought my Reatta 'vert from was an Allante lover. He had them in the past sold his to buy the 'vert I now have, then changed his mind, sold me the 'vert to go back to Allantes. I always thought he made a mistake, but to each his own...