1960 Buick Electra 2-door Hardtop - CA - Not Mine - 6/2 Ad Deleted

6T-FinSeeker

For Sale on Craigslist  1960 Buick Electra 2-door Hardtop in Harbor City, California  -  $11,000 OBO  -  No phone # provided, reply to Seller through Craigslist email to ef9fa110068b335fa32919305905e52c@sale.craigslist.org

Link:  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/harbor-city-1960-buick-electra-4737/7128295407.html

Seller's Description:

1960 Buick Electra 4737

• Fair condition
  • Runs and drives
  • Clean title in hand
  • Super solid underneath
  • Serious inquires please
  • Asking price $11,000 or best offer

image.png.81848e9772712be8ccc2a8a916f36199.png

image.png.5415957f2aadb30a138ee790501010f1.png

image.png.ccf6776eff8ebedf57206c1a69f7be95.png

image.png.ae3ea9019988c58199e7bda06ae14c48.png

image.png.fb5730eee479639f9cb00ef7f29b3785.png

image.png.279418ecab5f5e7f1733ff62af737317.png

image.png.3ac0752c3b322ab8432bd972efb07a19.png

image.png.dbfdef978cbaaf14eb815cc2813d080e.png

image.png.9e84bac7c0d68f94f5570e5b892ceb56.png

image.png.5da338e288949d4b0a5b4f12717c4d7a.png

image.png.704cf334cb4d9a1cb3fa6337b7e06254.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

OK Buick People: A legit original car taken out of daily service in Indiana years ago. NOT a CA car. Present owner got it running and driving. If it yard drives or is reliable I don't know.  The colors? if you like...fantastic. If not? Uh oh.  Mechanically?  Ya really gotta look at it closely.  It can be an easy 25 grand getting this thing looking and running respectable.   All dolled up? Yeah baby. Now you're starting almost at the bottom of the hill. Mitch

Seems low 20's would get you a pretty nice car ready to go with some looking.  Am I way off?  I was looking at a 60 Invicta Conv't last year that looked really nice in red,  turn key for 25G OBO but the seller was a bit flaky and it was on Long Island which I avoid that end of NY state like the plague. 

OK Bryan: I believe he had it shipped from Indiana....$1200-- and got it running and got a title and did a whole lotta other things. He's got a grip on it. There was banter on the 1960 Buick Universe  Facebook page that 60 Electra coupes were really rare and I believe he took a shot based on that erroneous information.    I know another guy got one that is about the same and he really stepped up based on the same information source.  He's gonna have it forever unless he gives it to the market and takes his shellacin'.   Mitch 

The amount of money a person has put into an item has no bearing on the selling price. What is $11,000, 15% of the total to make it a really nice car?

Back in 2001 I bought my '60 Electra for $850 (Buy It Now) on Ebay and was planning to part it out. I got a mournful message from a Ebayer telling me he had seen it but not bid. He wanted to buy it from me. I told him $2800 where it sat. He could pick it up. As I remember it may have been a phone call. He asked if my price was after I got it running and ready for him. Nope. Send me the money and go pick it up. I figured I could do $2,000 on sheet metal and trim from the front clip. He was appalled at the idea of paying that much. When the car arrived it was much better than I thought. Rather than MAKE money I chose to spend money because it was a lot better car than I imagined. I have spent quite a bit over the last 19 years. 

If this person has the supposed $2,000 in it he can recover that money and make a little without problem. Maybe not $11,000 but $4,000 wouldn't be hard.

It is less work to sell a whole car than part it out. And money talks. If he knows the amount of work in stripping, selling, and shipping, as well as fees, he will deduct that.

Oh, my '60 is $22,000 today. If I am dead I told my wife to take $8500.

One can have a car hobby or a money hobby, seldom will booth mix.

Bernie

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The amount of money a person has put into an item has no bearing on the selling price. What is $11,000, 15% of the total to make it a really nice car?

If everyone's intent was to spend $73k on a car, and they intended to do it right away, I would agree.  However, if you don't have or want to spend $73k and want to only make a decent driver, a $6-7k overpayment is a lot of money.  That might be like a 30-50% premium.  That premium is especially hefty on a car that is not exceedingly hard to find an alternative for.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I guess what I wrote loses something when one sentence is taken out of context How about: The amount of money a person has put into an item has no bearing on the selling price. period.

Many people don't understand that logic. Folks seem to have a sense of entitlement about getting back the money they've spent. Buyers also seem to think that what it will cost them to get it where "they want it" is your problem. A guy recently asked for a $100 discount on something I was selling because it was going to cost him $100 in gas to buy it. I recommended that he find the same part somewhere closer :)

• Like 1

Take a loan, buy a better car.  Patina stops where rust even surface takes over and ruins the original look of the car.  Lots coming on the market.   I'm faced with the exact decision in a 59 Elcamino.  A car on my bucket list,  offered for part trade on my Cord.  Good driving condition but cosmetically rough.  Poor interior, Cracked windshield, Texas car but all the trim is very tired, Paint of course burned off and now has been primed over on about 50 percent of the car.  Yes it's drivable and could be used but it's rough all around just not rusty.  Anything you do will open up the can of worms. That's a Chevy as well where I can buy new bumpers and a new correct interior and not something like this Buick that has almost no reproduction market and I imagine a small used parts base worth messing with.  What will 20 buy you?  How much Patina can you live with for 11?  Can you clean it up at all to be happy with what you want?  That's exactly what I'm trying to decide with the Elcamino.