1939 SPORTS CAR....real or artists facsimile?

I used to draw cars like that in 1st or second grade, then I learned how lines were suppose to flow as well as how to draw straight lines. 

Drop the hood line at the cowl, get rid of the side trim as well as straighten out that door line, you would have a good start.  

If you dropped those Willys headlights you would be doing alot as well. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I used to draw cars like that in 1st or second grade, then I learned how lines were suppose to flow as well as how to draw straight lines. 

Drop the hood line at the cowl, get rid of the side trim as well as straighten out that door line, you would have a good start.  

If you dropped those Willys headlights you would be doing alot as well. 

I suspect that someone who was accomplished at drawing people was hired to draw a car. The faces of the people riding in the car were done pretty well...the car, not so much.

That sort of happened to me several years ago when I commissioned a couple of fairly well known artists to produce an image that included, among other things, an airplane. The project was basically a success, but to me something just wasn't quite right about that airplane. It wasn't quite as off as that red roadster, though.

I still genuinely like the picture in sandtrooper's post. Relic of a bygone era. I don't think that some of the artists of the 1930's who worked on the original Superman comics could get a job at DC now. Just kind of a different standard for that type of art.  Here's Superman...and a car...from the FIRST issue on Action comics. The guy holding his head in shock is thinking, I can't believe how bad this art is!)  😄

Sold for almost a million dollars, so apparently somebody likes the art. :)

Action Comics No. 1. Courtesy of Heritage Auctions.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

"Google Renault Suprastella 1938..." thanks hanski....... I did and then saw the Viva Grande Sport convertible of 1939.  See attached. It is a wee bit larger, has the similar grille, hood vents and Willys headlamps. Running with Renault. 

yy301z.jpg

• Like 1