Heater core removal help

atencioee

I'm trying to work my way to the heater assembly, but the distribution duct assembly from the A/C is in my way. I removed the bolts that attach the distribution duct and it now sits loosely but I'm having a tough time trying to wiggle it out of there. How do I get it out? Do I have to remove the evaporation assembly? Or, the console? Crazy to think I would have to remove any of those other assemblies just to get that piece out of my way. 

Any guidance or suggestions?

20200504_195059.jpg

I removed my heater core from an empty engine bay. I’m no help in removing your heater core from inside.  IF YOU REMOVE your evaporator your misery rises exponentially. I’ve had my evaporator in and out twice. Both times I had to hire a full time pro to finish bolting the evaporator in place. It really was hard, real hard.

I wish you good luck on your heater core removal.

Tubinator

• Like 1

Removing the heater core from the inside on these cars is not for the faint of heart. Some folks have removed the

cover on the firewall under the hood and have gotten  it out that way after taking a cutting tool and making the hole that

the cover covers up larger by about a half inch all the way around. I'm not sure how difficult this is with the engine in the car,

but if my heater core ever leaks that is how I'm going to change it, even if I have to yank the engine.......much easier than tearing the dash all apart.

One thing that happens if you change it from the inside is that you will wind up destroying the defroster duct, which crumbles when you try to remove it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atencioee said:

I'm trying to work my way to the heater assembly, but the distribution duct assembly from the A/C is in my way. I removed the bolts that attach the distribution duct and it now sits loosely but I'm having a tough time trying to wiggle it out of there. How do I get it out? Do I have to remove the evaporation assembly? Or, the console? Crazy to think I would have to remove any of those other assemblies just to get that piece out of my way. 

Any guidance or suggestions?

What year car?

Are you working from the Buick Dealer Service Bulletin that Buick put out in 1965 for all first-gen Rivieras?  It has step by step instructions.

PM sent.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jim Cannon said:

What year car?

Are you working from the Buick Dealer Service Bulletin that Buick put out in 1965 for all first-gen Rivieras?  It has step by step instructions.

PM sent.

My Riviera is a 1964

• Thanks 1

Dunno what's in that bulletin, but I can make some suggestions:

- Buy the complete service bulletin package that Jim's selling.

- Once you pull the blower box and remove the hoses, extrication of the core is somewhat obvious.  IIRC, it's got to be twisted a certain way to be removed and replaced, but it can be done.  In my experience, the biggest PITA was dealing with the vacuum diaphragm on the bottom of the box.  I forget exactly what the problem was, but I do remember some annoyance.

- Again, use the opportunity to reseal the box to the firewall, lube the fan, oil the diaphragm pivots, clean the contacts, etc.  It's like getting fat or bald: you don't notice the change while it's happening, but the before and after pictures are pretty stark.  Things will work a lot more smoothly and quietly when you're done.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

Dunno what's in that bulletin, but I can make some suggestions:

- Buy the complete service bulletin package that Jim's selling.

- Once you pull the blower box and remove the hoses, extrication of the core is somewhat obvious.  IIRC, it's got to be twisted a certain way to be removed and replaced, but it can be done.  In my experience, the biggest PITA was dealing with the vacuum diaphragm on the bottom of the box.  I forget exactly what the problem was, but I do remember some annoyance.

- Again, use the opportunity to reseal the box to the firewall, lube the fan, oil the diaphragm pivots, clean the contacts, etc.  It's like getting fat or bald: you don't notice the change while it's happening, but the before and after pictures are pretty stark.  Things will work a lot more smoothly and quietly when you're done.

The 1965 Dealer Service Bulletin on this topic has the steps to remove the heater core from the inside of the car, not from the engine side.  It is intended to be for all 3 years (1963-65). It's a big job.

I sell the '63 and '64 Dealer Service Bulletins on CD for $10 each and the '65 for $12 (more files, required 2 CDs). If I mail them to you, it is $8 for postage (express mail) -- one postage charge for as many CDs as you want.

I do have an option where I send the files to you in a big ZIP file (through an online file transfer service) if you prefer and can handle the large file. That saves on postage. But a bit of work for you.

30 minutes ago, Jim Cannon said:

The 1965 Dealer Service Bulletin on this topic has the steps to remove the heater core from the inside of the car, not from the engine side.  It is intended to be for all 3 years (1963-65). It's a big job.

I sell the '63 and '64 Dealer Service Bulletins on CD for $10 each and the '65 for $12 (more files, required 2 CDs). If I mail them to you, it is $8 for postage (express mail) -- one postage charge for as many CDs as you want.

I do have an option where I send the files to you in a big ZIP file (through an online file transfer service) if you prefer and can handle the large file. That saves on postage. But a bit of work for you.

I sent you the payment and I pm'd you my email address. 

6 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I swapped the heater core from the engine side.  No cutting required -- but a fair amount of profanity.

That's also a good excuse to R&R the blower assembly.

Mr Konga Man, is the “ engine side” the same side of what is known as the engine bay. My car is a 63 Riviera. I had to cut out a rectangle just a tad outside the perimeter of the heater core. My engine was out of the car.

I thought while I have the chance to fool around with the heater box and check things I went ahead and had a grand old time check the spring that opens and closes the door. I tested a single port vacuum actuator that had great stroke and plenty strong. I was just not able to match up the swing of the door and stroke of the actuator to work that satisfied me. I put the dual port single actuator that works fine

as I tested with a Mighty Vac. Maybe it will work.

On 5/5/2020 at 2:32 PM, Jim Cannon said:

Jim, I read on the forum where a gent did not remove the engine, but removed items like the carb, coil, and other items I cannot remember. The gent seemed to believe removing the heater core from the engine bay was worth taking a lot of the engine apart to do the work. All I know is the wrestling match I had with AC hoses and the evaporator box reinstallation has me shy of doing anything under the dash pad.

Turbinator

10 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Why in God's name would you have to pull the carb and coil to take out the heater core?

From the engine bay you might need some room to work. You said you took the heater core from the engine side out  without any cutting?

well if you removed the heater core from the engine bay without cutting any metal..... you are pulling my leg. I know you have some pretty good mechanical moves up your sleeve so I’m all 👂’s.

turbinator

If I could remember what I did, I'd tell you -- but it was in 2002 (I looked it up) and all I remember is that accessing the bottom of the blower box was a PITA.

And no, I'm not going to do it again just to jog my memory. ;) 

On 5/5/2020 at 11:18 AM, KongaMan said:

I swapped the heater core from the engine side.  No cutting required -- but a fair amount of profanity.

That's also a good excuse to R&R the blower assembly.

Oh, I get it now. You were being humorous. You did this work in 2002 because you looked it up, but you can’t remember. I’m on the same page now. You had me going there for a minute.

Turbinator

I looked through my records to see when I bought the heater core.  It was May 30, 2002 ($43.35 from Advance Auto Parts, part # PA 5893348; you want to see a copy of the receipt?).  I don't remember all the details of the procedure.  What you do with that information is up to you.

8 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I looked through my records to see when I bought the heater core.  It was May 30, 2002 ($43.35 from Advance Auto Parts, part # PA 5893348; you want to see a copy of the receipt?).  I don't remember all the details of the procedure.  What you do with that information is up to you.

Well, Sir your record keeping gets an A+. How you got the heater core out without cutting metal from the engine side is exemplary. I’m content you got the job completed. I’m just as happy to let the mystery stay a mystery.

Turbinator

On 5/12/2020 at 8:26 PM, atencioee said:

I was able to remove the heater assembly per the instructions I got from Jim. Now, trying to figure out how to remove the heater core from the heater assembly. Any guidance on how to do that? 

20200512_174637.jpg

It is being held in by 2 wire bales. The bales are held in with a screw at each end. See photos. One wire piece is straight across and the other has 2 u-shaped bends in it to go around the core inlet/outlet.  Once you remove them, force it out.

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3655.jpg

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sir, hats off to you getting rascal out. I can only imagine the yoga or wrestling drill you went through to get the heater core out. Another ouch for me was getting the original fixed with new cores.

Best of luck getting yours back in easier than the rascal came out.

Since my engine was out it was easier for me to climb in the bay and slice it out. After the heater plenum was replaced you cannot see the cut marks. Lucky I guess.

The engine goes back in next week, I hope.

Turbinator

• Like 1

After reading multiple descriptions of this job 20 yrs ago I blocked the heater off & forgot about it. Granted I live in sunny Fl, where on the coldest day the ambient heat from the engine provides enough. But this latest thread raises a question for me. Why is it that for decades the firewall had to be butchered to remove the thing, but Konga comes along, swears at it, & out it pops w no cutting. I don't get it!

1 hour ago, Turbinator said:

Sir, hats off to you getting rascal out. I can only imagine the yoga or wrestling drill you went through to get the heater core out. Another ouch for me was getting the original fixed with new cores.

Best of luck getting yours back in easier than the rascal came out.

Since my engine was out it was easier for me to climb in the bay and slice it out. After the heater plenum was replaced you cannot see the cut marks. Lucky I guess.

The engine goes back in next week, I hope.

Turbinator

The removal instructions I got from Jim were very helpful. Without those, I would of had a very, very difficult time!  Haha, and yes, definitely felt like I was wrestling and doing yoga at times!

10 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

After reading multiple descriptions of this job 20 yrs ago I blocked the heater off & forgot about it. Granted I live in sunny Fl, where on the coldest day the ambient heat from the engine provides enough. But this latest thread raises a question for me. Why is it that for decades the firewall had to be butchered to remove the thing, but Konga comes along, swears at it, & out it pops w no cutting. I don't get it!

Rivnik, I believe I cut 1/4” outside the perimeter of the heater core. I

have a 63 Riv and my engine was out. Cutting the metal from the engine bay for ME was the only way I could do the job. (I struggled with the evaporator box a l o n g time before it was right.) So, my DIY mechanic skills are fair on my best days. All the cutting to get the heater core out is covered by the plenum. I’ll take a pic and send it along.

Turbinator

On 5/31/2020 at 9:05 AM, RIVNIK said:

Rivnik, I believe I cut 1/4” outside the perimeter of the heater core. I

have a 63 Riv and my engine was out. Cutting the metal from the engine bay for ME was the only way I could do the job. (I struggled with the evaporator box a l o n g time before it was right.) So, my DIY mechanic skills are fair on my best days. All the cutting to get the heater core out is covered by the plenum. I’ll take a pic and send it along.

Turbinator

7411286F-9CF1-44CA-A9AF-99F1150355ED.jpeg

Edited by Turbinator
Pic (see edit history)

• 3 years later...
On 5/5/2020 at 2:32 PM, Jim Cannon said:

Hi can I get the cd directions for 1964

• 11 months later...
On 5/5/2020 at 10:00 AM, Jim Cannon said:

What year car?

PM sent.

hey Jim do you have anything for a 1967 buick riviera gs? need a step by step

38 minutes ago, Rivi67 said:

hey Jim do you have anything for a 1967 buick riviera gs? need a step by step

No, sorry. Just 1st gen.

Ask Ray Knott if the ROA Library has anything for your year.