1953 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe - $5000 - not mine

Seattle Craigslist (Not Mine)

1953 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe - $5000(Newport Hills)

1953 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe For Sale

Purchased from a classic car museum in Ohio for a father / son resto project. Runs, drives and turns lots of heads. Fun stuff.

If you are looking for something fun to play with while stuck at home during COVID-19 shoot me a message. And if you want to come check out the car, I promise to stay 6-feet away.

Happy to provide more photos if wanted. We just pulled it out of winter storage (April 5th).

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/bellevue-1953-chrysler-windsor-deluxe/7103491323.html

7FAF5619-EE82-497F-97E2-70873ED5EBC6.jpeg

0C520554-D51C-4BFC-B90E-0DA9EBD12AF4.jpeg

F3F4FC7C-2F51-4C67-8D5E-337325E955CA.jpeg

E910D954-D42E-4F38-96CA-2829614A9990.jpeg

• Like 3

A very comfortable cruiser. Yes indeed. It floats and steers like a butterfly with radial tires. You’d forget mine has manual steering while driving it. I’ve had my passengers also comment how comfortable they are in it. 

4 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

My 50 windsor 2 door is literally like trying to dock the queen mary at slow speed maneuvering.   Double the nose heavy of my 49 Roadmaster big straight 8. I think the steering box was designed for going straight with turning as just an added option...

Very strange...I think you have a problem.  My '50 Windsor 2 door is very easy to steer.  Much lighter steering than my '49 or '47 Roadmaster.  I run bias plys on all of them.  If you're running radials that could be part of the problem.  These Chryslers are wonderful and easy cars to drive.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Has pretty wide radials on it as when bought. It just seems to take forever at garage speeds to get the puppy turned in the right direction is all.

I think we found your steering problem.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, keithb7 said:

A very comfortable cruiser. Yes indeed. It floats and steers like a butterfly with radial tires. You’d forget mine has manual steering while driving it. I’ve had my passengers also comment how comfortable they are in it. 

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Has pretty wide radials on it as when bought. It just seems to take forever at garage speeds to get the puppy turned in the right direction is all.

Two questions for each of you  :

1)  What tire pressures are you running, F&R ?

2)  What is the specified tire pressure at max load bearing ?       -   Carl 

• Like 1

In younger years, I drove a 1956 DeSoto with manual steering.  It handle easily on the road, however it took a lot of “wheel work” to negotiate tight spots at low speeds.  Carl might be on to something with tires and tire pressure.

• Like 1

As we got to talking about tires I decided to go for a ride and see about low speed turning. Well that idea lasted until the end of the driveway when the brakes went to the floor and stayed there. Odd thing it stayed there with brakes on. Pulled it up with my toe and brakes released. Drove out and turned around and this time only went halfway down with brakes working but stuck there.  Lifted again with my toe and got her ready to go on the lift. No blown wheel cylinders. It pumps up and brakes fine, just won't release. Something tells me my master just crapped the bed.  Hello Sunday!

8 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

No blown wheel cylinders. It pumps up and brakes fine, just won't release. Something tells me my master just crapped the bed.  Hello Sunday!

Check and see if the compensating port in the MC is clogged.  Open it up if it is and you should have brakes.  If this is the case, you really need to overhaul the whole system or at least flush it.

• Like 1