63 Trunk Cardboard?

Zimm63

Agreed that you have to scribe the creases on the cardboard with a razor blade knife or the gray covering makes a jagged tear when you bend the cardboard.

some of the creases have to be scribed on the gray side and others have to be scribed on the back side depending on which way the

cardboard has to bend. You have to be very careful not to scribe it too deeply or you will cut it in two. If this happens you can tape it back together

with duct tape on the back side. The thought of Gene's wife tossing everything after he is gone gives me goosebumps.....say it ain't so!

When I did my trunk cardboard after it was installed I touched up the creases in the bends where the brown cardboard was showing

with some gray paint and a small touch up brush. I had to buy two sets of cardboard after I ruined the first set by bending the cardboard

with out first scribing the folds with a razor blade knife. 

DSCN0271.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Question about this scribing with a knife...  My experience in bending cardboard is that cutting along a bend line is a precarious proposition and also weakens the material along the bend. IIRC, the original something of a double crease which provided the needed flexibility.  I can't duplicate that, but I've found a passable solution is to crease the material on the back side; take something round and firm (that won't cut the cardboard; I think I used an eye bolt once) and run it along the bend line.  That seems to make it much easier to bend while minimizing the risk of splitting. 

Anyone else tried this with trunk lining?

On 4/15/2020 at 1:54 PM, riv2x4 said:

I'm working with Gene to get 10 sent to me in the Chicago area.  Will have more details next week.  Gene's no whining rule will be firmly in place.

I got your PM, thank u. But Gene is saying there are two different styles kits. One for cars with remote trunk release & one without. I need 2 kits without remote release please 

Go back and re-read Gene's post or this quote from his post "I put the both rear sections in, one for standard, and one for the remote trunk release."  Look at the picture. The large pieced in the upper right is for the remote release, the one in the lower left is for the non remote.

IMG_7694.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RivNut said:

Go back and re-read Gene's post or this quote from his post "I put the both rear sections in, one for standard, and one for the remote trunk release."  Look at the picture. The large pieced in the upper right is for the remote release, the one in the lower left is for the non remote.

Thank you Ed, I missed it obviously.

I just wanted to clear this trunk cardboard stuff up if I can. I was informed that I might have confused people with the six pictures. There is only 5 pieces of cardboard per trunk. The long rear piece comes in  2 different versions. One is for standard trunk and the one with a longer tail to the side is for a remote trunk release. The longer piece covers the release cylinder which is not on a non remote trunk. If I have confused you more just disregard this message. Thanks Gene.

FullSizeRender-109.jpg