64 Seat Belts

awk409ak

Those are generic Fisher Body seat belts.

There was a unique belt for 64. Made by two manufacturers 

On these belts, the release is the blank part of the buckle

20200408_153628.thumb.jpg.ee9a30f84d341bfca3571a69c488fdb4.jpg

On the belt on the right, the lift part is the embossed part.  

20200408_153725.thumb.jpg.238c452b39b8d6d510ed32fba1369955.jpg

There are no parts that are interchange between the two.  

1 hour ago, awk409ak said:

I have a set of 64 seat belts in black.  Like to find someone with them in the saddle color.

Art

Art,

I have a pair of correct `64 belts in saddle...but they are driver quality. If you are looking for show quality, the belts I have will not be suitable. If you`re interested send me a PM

Tom Mooney

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Tom, 

Was that belt universal to Fisher Body built cars?

Hi Ed,

Not sure about the other divisions, Cadillac may have used their own logo, the Fisher coach may have been used by the other divisions and probably was, but I dont know for sure... but I do know that the style of buckle Art pictured is correct for `65 Buicks. There was also a colored plastic buckle which is a different design altogether. Then if we get into the Canadian built GM models the whole game changes. I have a soft spot for the Canadian designs and would use them in my cars if I came across a nice set.

Tom

5 minutes ago, dr914 said:

his picture should blow up, but these were the original belts on our 64 when my Dad and I took delivery in May of 1964

IMG_3358.jpg

I think these belts are the 2nd version of the standard seat belts in `64. The first version did not have a square relief or the Fisher Body coach. This design continued into `65 but the actual shape of the plastic housing changed in `65. The back of the `64 version is a right angle as it transitions from horizontal into vertical whereas the `65 version has a distinct slanted angle as the horizontal surface transitions into the vertical suface of the rear of the housing. There is also a difference in the way the rear pin is secured in each version...one takes a small snap ring and the other used a sort of peening method, cant remember which is which.

George, is your car late, as in the second half of the model year? What is the date code on your Fisher Body plate?

Tom Mooney

Not going to the detail as above because I have a '63. I believe GM sourced seatbelts in 1963 like we purchase aftermarket replacements today. I think they were all with black webbing. So, no detail and anything goes.

I made the mistake of buying seatbelts and later finding the crusty originals. I prefer neither. I know I can freshen-up the originals by re-webbing in red, locally even. But again, they're not specifically GM offerings so why bother?

I already installed the same red aftermarket seatbelts in the rear where there were none. So to continue with the aftermarket seatbelts, they have a hole for a 7/16" bolt. The originals have a 1/2" hole for a 7/16" bolt with a 1/2" shank. This original bolt with the shank will not work with the new seatbelts. I do not want to use the ugly grade-5 bolt but was told the original bolt is unsafe and does not meet modern criteria. This bolt is in the image on the old black webbing.

Enlarging the hole in the new seatbelts is considered a modification rendering them as non compliant or so the tag says.

Anyone addressed this before?

John B.

Seatbelts_Original.JPG

Seatbelts_Aftermarket.JPG

The belts for my 63 look like the ones in the first pic.  But it's got a black interior, so I'm good with that. ;)

I did install some after-market belts in the 64, only to find out that the original bolts don't fit.  Haven't quite decided whether to rebolt or redrill.

It's not clear what's not compliant.  Maybe the hardware is all made in China and they're 13 mm holes. Maybe someone doesn't like that the bolt sticks up way above the floor.  It can't be that hard to make a 7/16 bolt with a short (7/16 or 1/2) shoulder.

1 hour ago, XframeFX said:

Not going to the detail as above because I have a '63. I believe GM sourced seatbelts in 1963 like we purchase aftermarket replacements today. I think they were all with black webbing. So, no detail and anything goes.

I made the mistake of buying seatbelts and later finding the crusty originals. I prefer neither. I know I can freshen-up the originals by re-webbing in red, locally even. But again, they're not specifically GM offerings so why bother?

I already installed the same red aftermarket seatbelts in the rear where there were none. So to continue with the aftermarket seatbelts, they have a hole for a 7/16" bolt. The originals have a 1/2" hole for a 7/16" bolt with a 1/2" shank. This original bolt with the shank will not work with the new seatbelts. I do not want to use the ugly grade-5 bolt but was told the original bolt is unsafe and does not meet modern criteria. This bolt is in the image on the old black webbing.

Enlarging the hole in the new seatbelts is considered a modification rendering them as non compliant or so the tag says.

Anyone addressed this before?

John B.

Seatbelts_Original.JPG

Seatbelts_Aftermarket.JPG

The belts in the top photo are `63 Buick specific. Other divisions including Cadillac used the same buckle design but as far as I know only Buick used the textured version.

Tom Mooney