Zoom Meet

nick8086

58 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Zoom is malware disguised as a video chat application. 

Oh no, that cannot be. Apple would NEVER, EVER allow that on their app store! Their phones are very secure if one believes their marketing dept. 🙄

15 minutes ago, charlier said:

Oh no, that cannot be. Apple would NEVER, EVER allow that on their app store! Their phones are very secure if one believes their marketing dept. 🙄

Phones are fine. The apps aren't all made by Apple. They may not vet them very well, but it has nothing to do with the platform. In fact, Apple is making Skype available to Zoom users due to the security concerns over Zoom. 

On the other hand, I'll admit it was funny as hell seeing the moron Boris Johnson not only get his Parliament meetings hacked via Zoom, but to see him tweeting photos of his encrypted computer monitor with vital information displayed. Is there nobody who can show these waterheads how security works?

• Haha 2

I wasn't familiar with the "Zoom" program, but evidently

it isn't very secure, and is prone to hacking.

Here is an article from the Washington ComPost

which I came across:

"School districts, including New York City’s, start

banning Zoom because of online security issues":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/04/04/school-districts-including-new-york-citys-start-banning-zoom-because-online-security-issues/?utm_campaign=wp_national&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=rss

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Phones are fine. The apps aren't all made by Apple. They may not vet them very well, but it has nothing to do with the platform. In fact, Apple is making Skype available to Zoom users due to the security concerns over Zoom. 

On the other hand, I'll admit it was funny as hell seeing the moron Boris Johnson not only get his Parliament meetings hacked via Zoom, but to see him tweeting photos of his encrypted computer monitor with vital information displayed. Is there nobody who can show these waterheads how security works?

Matt, Thanks for pointing out the distinction that any phone is only as safe as the apps running on it. I know a LOT of smartphone owners that do not make that distinction like some of us do.

Also thanks for passing on the story about Boris J. 🤣🤣 I am betting he ignored the advice of his security experts. Probably thought he knew better.

Hmmmm, that sounds familiar. 😁  Looks I had better check with some employees at my client. I seem to remember someone there talking about Zoom.

I have been using Google Duo lately to support remote workers at my client. It is also available on the Apple iStore. It works well with both Android and iPhones. According to Google the Duo app uses encryption end to end.