Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

This Saturday we got invited to bring a 20's car to a "Speakeasy" party in a country club on Cruso. NC.   I couldn't find a 20's car willing

to drive the 50 miles to be the decoration for he party, but they said a 1934 Ford like Bonnie & Clyde had would be fine because they didn't

know the difference anyway.   So we took the 34 Ford in exchange for accomodations in a 2 bedroom home, dinner, drinks, dancing and entertainment by a 5 person band playing 20's music.   Almost all the participants came in period costumes, as did we and many photos

done in front of the car at the front door.   Sunday morning we came home after a big complementary breakfast in the club restaurant.   A good time was had by all.IMG_06301.JPG.5bb66e4b4aa8e06bbab26c8531290a86.JPGIMG_06191.JPG.985c526b39c2e8b84bff48f96526e8bd.JPG

IMG_0618[1].JPG

IMG_0621[1].JPG

• Like 18

On 9/5/2024 at 10:45 AM, Matt Harwood said:

You're right, Kerry. Despite growing up with Porsches since I was 14 years old, I wasn't a fan. They were fun to drive once in a while but I never aspired to own one. This little 356 was slightly more appealing than the newer 911s because it felt like an old car, but I never wished to own it. I admit that we spent a lot of time wondering if we should just sell it because I wasn't in love with it when it was just sitting here in the shop, inert.

I feel differently now that I've spent a considerable amount of time behind the wheel (and under the hood). It's probably a combination of things: 1. it's insanely simple to fix, which is a pleasant change of pace. 2. it just works like it should and feels indestructible. And 3, it really is entertaining to drive and while it's not exactly fast, it certainly keeps up with traffic easily, removing at least one concern when driving an old car. Does that add up to loving it? Not sure. But I certainly appreciate and enjoy the car, and am grateful to have the opportunity to fully experience it rather than a 10-minute drive now and then, as in the past. It has won me over in ways I didn't expect.

Then there's the satisfaction of having significantly improved the car myself, which adds immeasurably to the experience. At the risk of sounding immodest, I doubt it has ever worked as well as it does now. I've put almost 500 miles on it in the last week simply because it's working correctly and I'm the guy who figured it out. That's very rewarding. Is it the same as loving the car? I can't tell.

But I sure do like it.

I've been looking at getting a 356 or maybe 912 since selling my Karmann Ghia  a few years back. It lived up to it's name as "The Worlds Slowest sports car" but it was a hoot on back country roads. Even my partner Kim who can't stand most of my old car choices loved it once she figured out the shift pattern. The entry price is holding me back even for a chippy driver. The basic air cooled minimalist platform appeals to me more every year as I grow older and less adept at swinging wrenches. While the newer water cooled units show up with IMS bearing and bore score problems as well as aesthetic drawbacks I keep away. 

It was roadster day today……..V-16, Buick 96, and a PI York………great day for a drive.

IMG_8038.jpeg

• Like 9

Ed,

I probably will never get to drive any one of the three. So please take a moment when you get time and describe driving each one. No need to say which you like best (unless you want to). What are each's strengths (and weaknesses? Which is more fun to drive? Which is more agile?  What other impressions?

Many thanks,

Phil

• Like 3

Phil……..big cars are like women…….all wonderful in different ways. 

Buick…….light and nimble. Power is decent but not impressive or knock your sox off. A well mannered middle of the road machine. 

V-16 Caddy…..this one is dialed in to 100 percent of its potential. Heavy on the steering and brakes, but not to be confused with poor engineering. It’s a big boy. Performance is very very good. It’s a blast to drive. Good road manners. Overall a very good driving experience and certainly in the top five percent of performance of its era. 

PI York……..disclosure, it’s my favorite cars in the collection. Heavy steering and heavy on the brakes compared to most high end cars. Excellent power and torque…..runs great……shifting is difficult with a crash box that takes lots of miles to master. An engineering nightmare to work on. But it looks fantastic. Truly a refined and special car that offered an experience that can’t be described. Simply put, it’s a joy to be the caretaker. 

FYI- there is NO perfect pre war car……and all have quirks and drawbacks. All the more reason to have a decent collection of cars! When it comes to the best pre war car the answer is simple, it’s a Duesenberg. Absolutely nothing can compare. Yet they still have their faults and issues. I could go on for pages……

• Like 2