AAA & SCCA 1944-1960 racing pictures wanted

I am interested in on track pictures. 1944-1960

Racing action, or just pits.

Flagman pics at any events

ROAD AMERICA, SEBRING, Bahama's Speedweek>> IS OF HIGH INTEREST, 1944-1960

Pictures from the 1951 or 1952 Indy rod and custom show.

Pictures of the 1937 Chicago International auto show.

Base racing airplanes also wanted.

Thanks

John

• Like 2

Beings that racing is what inspired many famous, racing legends, designers and corporations, might be cool to get pre war and post war>> maybe stop at 1960?

I personally need the SCCA action 1944-1960. Long story, literally. Been researching this for 32 years.

Need a professional and accomplished writer at this time !

Yep, post what you find, will be cool for all car guys to check out?

John

The one in the picture is probably powered by a Repco- Brabham  V8. A joint effort by Jack and the Repco Co.  to replace the previously important Coventry Climax F1 engine that had recently been discontinued. They were current in about 1965 - 1966.  Brabham was also very involved with Honda's racing efforts around this same time.

There were lots of Ford based engines used in lower class Brabham's but it wasn't until Ford got together with Cosworth and built the DFV V8 that Ford had a F1 engine. The DFV is of course a landmark .

Many F Jr., F3, F2 and of course F Ford cars used 4 Cyl based Ford engines, early 1960's right up to modern times

I am out on the West coast of Canada so a long way from Watkins Glen.  I own a couple of Ford powered Formula car projects , but newer, 1973 and 1983. The older cars and particularly Brabham's are well outside my reach. The engine that is going in my Formula Ford came out of a Brabham Formula Jr.. It was the wrong engine for a F Jr,

1600 cc instead of 1100 cc so once the Brabham prices started to go through the roof the owner replaced it with a correct engine and sold it to me for a very reasonable price.   He then sold the restored Brabham for a very substantial figure. Brabham's are vintage racing gold.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Pleasure to chat with you Greg.

Sounds like you are quite the race car enthusiast.

Nice collection of cars.

Long time ago when I lived out in Utah, almost pulled the trigger to buy a Merlin>> think that was the brand. >> think it had a 2300 ford in it>

I asked about the Glen because a car that I have a part in was accepted into the Invitational Councors d Elegance, and it will also run the old 6 mile 1948-1952, street course,

then off to the Glen race track for some all out small CC SVRA racing. >>> have told my partner, just exhibition laps for pics and video's >> HE WON"T LISTEN THOUGH.

Also my 32 years of research for the man and machine will finally start to come into light, Ben is being inducted into the Walk Of Fame at the Glen Historical Research center/

He joins some of the greatest race legends ever known. 32 years is a long time.

Ben also worked with the top brass to bring FIA racing to North America, he was licensed as a FIA race driver and official in the 1950's

WHY I am looking for pics of that era, I need to wind this all down..

Design Hall of fame, SCCA Hall of Fame , H.V.A, and more are the next submissions.

The one story on the net, has about 1/10 th of the historical facts and pictures we have. Links at the bottom, maybe 79,000 reads now

I need a writer. 

HOPE TO SEE SOME COOL EARLY PICTURES POP UP. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Edited by harris speedster (see edit history)

Bob,

That is a cool old metal plaque. You could sell that on Ebay pretty easy.

Seems most races back then were called Grand Prix's. 

To point;

1951 Watkins Glen Grand Prix.

Not exactly sure, but I think about 30 cars in the feature big bore cars.

Cunningham, Finch, Kimberly, Collier, and other racing legends were at the event.

Maybe another 30 or more in smaller bore classes.

1948 was the Glens first street race, 6 miles.

1952 ended the street races.

Fred Wacker from Chicago in a Allard, Crazy 8,  swung out too much and clipped the huge crowds lining the side of the streets.

Unfortunately it killed a 8 year boy.

Ben was on the front row of that race, Last Queen Catherine Cup Race.

Street racing in Europe, and the US had too many causalities coming about. 

Street racing basically died in the US at the same time

SCCA was soon to be under different rules and Regulations, .. Ben Harris was coming into light.

Need to stop, or I will get carried away >>> 

John

PLEASE DRAG OUT MORE OF YOUR TREASURES GUYS & GALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TerryB,

Nice old pictures.

I would guess post war but they could be pre war too.

Flat dirt track Midget racers.

AAA race sanctioned, in all probability.

Looks like some cars have the 12 inch  Dayton racing wire wheels, which were used a lot back then.

Montgomery Wards dirt track tires were common also.

Helmets almost look post war?

great pics  thanks Terry !!

Wonder what the full body hot rods are?

They look like Model A Ford roadsters.

You are researching a significantly more difficult era compared to post 1960.  The SCCA and Sports car racing in general were a relatively small portion of North American competition prior to 1960. And once you look at the era before 1950 events and participation really thin out.

So much of the U.S. racing scene was circle track, both professional and amateur.  But post war things did indeed slowly get rolling.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my own previous to about 1975 . Even my father who went to circle track races from the later 1950's onward didn't take any photo's. It was just a spectator event for most, my  father included. Unless you knew one of the drivers and took a few snaps you just came

back in a week or two and saw the action live all over again.

There are photo's out there , and probably by the thousands . It's just a matter of finding them. 

Most racing action photo's I have seen appear to have been taken by pro photographers for the newspapers. Few average people had camera's that took decent pictures with moving subjects prior to the mid 1960's.

Best of luck with your quest !

Greg in Canada

BILL,

Neat old picture.

Must have been a wild ride up the hill ?

As I recall reading, Locomobiles had huge engines, lots of torque, low horsepower ?

Seems at least 4 Eastern states had many hill climbs, pre war and post war..

They had become quite popular around the whole country.

Not sure when Pikes Peak first race was > ?

Craig,

Thanks for the heads up on the museum. I will go through the link in entirety.Will hopefully find a bunch of mid century pictures you pointed out

Trying to concentrate on AAA & SCCA pre 1960 racing action, tracks etc.

As 1912 Staver said, the pictures are few and far in between.

This is in attempt to finish work on a 32 year research project.

1 hour ago, harris speedster said:

Depalma

Vanderbilt Race.

2nd race ever held  in the US.

DePalma-1915-VC.jpgt

Interesting picture in that rear of car is on jacks yet DePalma and mechancian are posing as though ready to race. Mercedes #22 was campaigned successfully by DePalma in various races including winning Indianapolis in 1915. Any idea where this picture was taken and please explain "2nd race ever held in the US" comment. Thanks

8E, Craig, thanks for the info, there are not many cars with such unique designs.

Researching made easier, Thanks. >>> BTW >> another car that is LIKE it, is the 1954-55 Buick Wildcat II, GM concept car.

A Ballard,

I was wondering if anyone would catch the comment on the 2nd race remark.

Good eye seeing the rear jacks !!

Not sure, with what looks to be mountains in the back ground, maybe up in NY, Con, Maine ?

Perhaps a wooden board race track?

The collector that had the Harris Speedster loaned to him, had a chain drive early Mercedes in his collection like this car.

Had a 1958 Ferrari TR race car and many other highly desirable cars

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

First recognized race was in the middle of a snow storm, Chicago.

Birth of the National SCCA was in Chicago too.

Boys in Chicago also are the boys that put Road America together and were stock holders.

CA boys liked to say for years that they were the birthplace of the SCCA, 1948 I believe, not true.

Birthplace was back east in 1944. I have the original minutes from that meeting.

Matter of fact, my last research, had tried to get with this man for 5 years, Wacky Arnolt's son, told me that he knew his father, Wacky ,was a stock holder

in Road America, as was Ben Harris. 

99% sure that Harley,Zora, Buehrig, Cord, Wacker, Kimberly, plus more, were all stock holders and helped design Road America>> they had a plan !!

john.

1037 hd,

You may want to do some reading, just basic stuff before posting info like that. Bob 

Which picture, one above?

the car ran in the Vanderbilt cup race.

Not sure where the picture was taken.

was not the first race in the uS, First US race was in Chicago.

Bob with respect, I am kind of confused?

John

1 hour ago, harris speedster said:

1037 hd,

You may want to do some reading, just basic stuff before posting info like that. Bob 

Which picture, one above?

the car ran in the Vanderbilt cup race.

Not sure where the picture was taken.

was not the first race in the uS, First US race was in Chicago.

Bob with respect, I am kind of confused?

John

Ford & Winton never meet on a Race Track? 

Bob 

22 minutes ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

Bob's comments are understandable. In which Vanderbilt race did the car compete and how is this relevant to the 1895 Chicago Times-Herald race?

" My error."

I did confuse some of my early race's

Best I know, DePalma, 1914, Vanderbilt cup race, California, please correct if I have it wrong again.

1895 Chicago race;

I guess because many people consider the Vanderbilt cup races held back east as the first competition type race in the US.

I should have explained and elaborated a bit more, but did not, sorry.

Do get in  a hurry, and as here, end up being corrected, which is good..

Best regards,

john