Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

51 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

L&E ?

image.png.d5129bab5d7e7a64cf14c7e27b45e6a7.png

image.png.a26b558c1e98012f58bb72e2d0af72b5.png

The Los Angeles partnership of Lundelius & Eccleston began in 1922, and in 1924, they introduced their first vehicle, a Franklin-based touring car. But in between times, they based their L&E cars on other brands, probably hoping to spark those manufacturers' interest in L&E's eight years of production. There could have been more, but who knows?

The illustrated 1928 L&E model was a fine-looking car, showing styling influences of Auburn, Cadillac and some other quality marques. It was obviously in the luxury class and would probably have sold for $3,500 or more, if production had commenced.

L&E had big plans for a huge factory in Long Beach (close to Los Angeles), but that project failed to get off the ground.
L&E (United States) - All Car Index
Edited by jukejunkie1015
photo added (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

Surprisingly not a Pierce Arrow.

t.jpg

The location is Auckland, New Zealand, and the date from the registration plate is 1926-27. That looks to be a teens Hupmobile on the hook.

W S Miller was the local agent for Chandler, among other makes, as well as being on the executive of the local Motor Trades Association. He was involved in several record runs between Auckland and Wellington in the early/mid 1920s.

I found an old newspaper article detailing the Auckland Wellington stock car record. It was not long after this that the authorities clamped down on such activities.

Article image

And a promotional article for the Chandler from the New Zealand Herlad 4 March 1924.

Article image

adding the last line - " step forward in the progress of motor traffic in New Zealand. Advt"

• Like 1

L & E . I have an original  sales catalog for one here someplace and the somewhat fuzzy image of the convertible is from that and was on a Society of Automotive Historians Journal page some years ago . Probably where that image came from.

• Like 1

I have a plan, you lease square footage of surface area for advertising to generate some cash to buy that Zeppelin. 

sign me up for a 6“ x 6“ piece. 

i’ve also dreamed that one morning over that first cup of  coffee, my wife of 37 years casually tells me that she has a trust fund she’s never mentioned to me before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

I have a plan, you lease square footage of surface area for advertising to generate some cash to buy that Zeppelin. 

sign me up for a 6“ x 6“ piece. 

i’ve also dreamed that one morning over that first cup of  coffee, my wife of 37 years casually tells me that she has a trust fund she’s never mentioned to me before.

Closest I came to a Special Roadster was when my Uncle Ted offered to trade this car for my dad's Cab A plus 1500 bucks back in 1966.  My dad fumbled the ball.  Ted traded it back to Ed Jurist for a Model SJ Duesenberg. 

189424-SP3-3.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

Compare the car in the center to this Stanley Steamer.  Same body?

t-2.jpg

StanleyBrewster-4.jpg

It looks like the same coachbuilder. Maybe it's just the angle of this photo but I'm not sure the Stanley body is original to the car. The lines on the black and white car follow through to the hood whereas the Stanley hood and body look mismatched. The wheel arch cutout on the rear of the Stanley looks unnecessary given the distance to the rear guard. I wonder if they extended and heightened an existing body to fit the longer wheelbase?

I wonder if either of these cars is on coachbuild.com?

Edited by John E. Guitar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John E. Guitar said:

It looks like the same coachbuilder. Maybe it's just the angle of this photo but I'm not sure the Stanley body is original to the car. The lines on the black and white car follow through to the hood whereas the Stanley hood and body look mismatched. The wheel arch cutout on the rear of the Stanley looks unnecessary given the distance to the rear guard. I wonder if they extended and heightened an existing body to fit the longer wheelbase?

I wonder if either of these cars is on coachbuild.com?

I have a fairly astute friend who thinks that the the body on the Stanley started as the body on the car in the salon.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Closest I came to a Special Roadster was when my Uncle Ted offered to trade this car for my dad's Cab A plus 1500 bucks back in 1966.  My dad fumbled the ball.  Ted traded it back to Ed Jurist for a Model SJ Duesenberg. 

189424-SP3-3.jpg

I love those kind of stories. People always want to somehow explain it to us simpletons  that  “that was a lot of money back then “ With no appreciation for the scale and difference. 

I have a odd fascination with how the costs have changed over time in the hobby. I wonder when the first Duesenberg had a sale that broke $100,000 mark?

To roll in that car, you need that sweater of your uncle Ted’s.  I’m sure your dad asked for it as part of the deal and your uncle Ted probably said “that is a dealbreaker”.

1 hour ago, John Bloom said:

I love those kind of stories. People always want to somehow explain it to us simpletons  that  “that was a lot of money back then “ With no appreciation for the scale and difference. 

I have a odd fascination with how the costs have changed over time in the hobby. I wonder when the first Duesenberg had a sale that broke $100,000 mark?

To roll in that car, you need that sweater of your uncle Ted’s.  I’m sure your dad asked for it as part of the deal and your uncle Ted probably said “that is a dealbreaker”.

Good question. Here’s what I found regarding the 100k. Threshold 40FB769D-E4F6-43DB-900D-B7A4DE082A1A.jpeg.d34b40c7213ba03e3379a2b5c00b8d25.jpeg5BC4043A-3E12-4AFE-BE39-14195E7D7E67.jpeg.d2fe1211222d12f4eda9aabc41fedf09.jpeg8CA01367-93DB-4C82-BBF0-7AF856668952.jpeg.8e06635c1bb0ec2013999ea09d3242a5.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, George K said:

Good question. Here’s what I found regarding the 100k. Threshold 40FB769D-E4F6-43DB-900D-B7A4DE082A1A.jpeg.d34b40c7213ba03e3379a2b5c00b8d25.jpeg5BC4043A-3E12-4AFE-BE39-14195E7D7E67.jpeg.d2fe1211222d12f4eda9aabc41fedf09.jpeg8CA01367-93DB-4C82-BBF0-7AF856668952.jpeg.8e06635c1bb0ec2013999ea09d3242a5.jpeg

Thanks George, I don't want to hijack the thread since it is flat out awesome.  Maybe a thread can be started that talks about some of these thresholds of when sales broke certain milestones.  Your input of early 1970's seems reasonable.  

Elsbury Motors, Heathcote, Victoria, Australia, 1928. Looks to be a 1928 Chevrolet National sedan and a 1928 Buick Master Six Sport Touring, Model 28-55-X of which only 132 were built.

The Chevrolet will most likely be one of the 675 bodied by Holdens in Australia, due to strict import regulations, but the Buick was fully imported.

May be an image of 1 person and text

• Like 1

Numerous cars are seen junked along Riverside Street, which ran between West Carson Street and the Monongahela River. The photo was taken during the Carson Street widening construction project, and the view is looking west/northwest.

R.19a5471d5900fbc063659c25b537b436?rik=TOtNwyQefDkDPA&riu=http%3a%2f%2fdanepieri-images.s3.amazonaws.com%2fimages%2flarge_3113980c.jpg&ehk=270HPbnAb6cC%2fiUn8jo5qserHX7TiGN3Jc%2flUZWz%2bpg%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 3