Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

56 minutes ago, edinmass said:

For the record…….I’m certain that George K knows the car, as I did. “The most beautiful Duesenberg ever”, well, I’ll,stick with what my momma taught me…….” If you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all!” For some reason I thought the car had dual side mounts……so I thought it might have been changed back in the day. Having seen the car in person, I’m trying to forget it.

I concur Ed. Though it is very reminiscent of a mud fence I once saw.

• Haha 1

I look at the photo and I can’t help but think what some young engineer today would give me a list of 50 reasons you couldn’t pick up that train. Yet 100 years ago they did it without thinking about it. Those Scottish engineers were certainly thrifty. But their stuff never broke. As a young boy I remember some of them. Men of very little words. They let their accomplishments speak for themselves.  A rare breed. Now extinct. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Did you check out that traction engine ready to haul that trailer? I think it’s more impressive than the crane. Maximum horsepower at zero RPM. No more than 200 hp moved all that mass. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 12:12 AM, nzcarnerd said:

Thanks to Johnny Rock for this one. I have posted in in the 'What is it' section as well. There is a car in the photo.

pre 80s Johnny Rock hubcap.jpg

The good old days. Neither the car, nor the lady, had plastic in the bodywork! 😎

Big headlights never go out of style! but the maintenance cost could kill you then or today!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Two photos taken in February 1933 at a funeral for three brothers, 18, 21 and 24, the eldest married with one child, who died of asphyxiation in a coal mine at Hikurangi, near Whangarei in the north of New Zealand.  

The are was certainly not one of the more wealthy parts of the country but it does highlight the fact that almost no new cars were imported to New Zealand during the Depression years. It took until 1934 to clear the last of the 1930 Ford As (the were no '31s imported).

Through the 1920s American cars dominated the market but within a decade the pendulum had swung and British cars dominated - mainly due to government policy.

Papers Past | Newspapers | Auckland Star | 16 February 1933 | MINE TRAGEDY. (natlib.govt.nz)

117707929_2749594455362745_2800876605206950049_n.jpg

117771036_2749594475362743_5878985858690362021_n.jpg

• Like 1

on the far right of the photo you can just make out a traction engine being used as a pusher. Oh to have film of this rig going down the road!

Not nearly the same tonnage but very impressive. The low bed is a work of engineering art! Love it! Note the handbrakes on the low bed.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

Did you check out that traction engine ready to haul that trailer? I think it’s more impressive than the crane. Maximum horsepower at zero RPM. No more than 200 hp moved all that mass. 

I just like heavy lifting. Always fascinated me. I had a friend that worked at American Hoist and Derrick. They had a specialized division that built incredible machines.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George K said:

It’s a great image. How cool is that stationary ringer crane. It’s anchored deep. But the spreader bar is just as wonderful. 

One can also see the Center-Of-Gravity is not exactly in the center, going by where the spreader bar is connected to the hook.

Craig

After a quick search I was able to find the archive where the train photo came from. The company went bankrupt in 1962, but the CEOs was smart enough to see the 17,000 photos that the company had on file since the 1860s including all the glass plate negatives were saved. The archive is in storage and can be accessed for research. I might go visit some day. Check out the truck. Normally I don’t like working on trucks. That particular unit would be exception. 

C5B84EC2-B94E-4038-AD43-0AE652087BFF.png

134FE2D5-E068-42E4-922D-B6171CD42CA4.png

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, edinmass said:

After a quick search I was able to find the archive where the train photo came from. The company went bankrupt in 1962, but the CEOs was smart enough to see the 17,000 photos that the company had on file since the 1860s including all the glass plate negatives were saved. The archive is in storage and can be accessed for research. I might go visit some day. Check out the truck. Normally I don’t like working on trucks. That particular unit would be exception. 

Reminds of of the 1922 MacDonald dockside truck I posted here:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/59514-orphan-of-the-day-01-11-1922-macdonald-model-a

Craig

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, edinmass said:

C5B84EC2-B94E-4038-AD43-0AE652087BFF.png

I believe that would be a 100 ton Scammell

Up Close and Personal with the Classic 100 tonne Scammell

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, edinmass said:

Men of very little words. They let their accomplishments speak for themselves.  A rare breed. Now extinct. 

Very true comment Ed, most often now people want to take credit for what others have taken the time to make the effort to do the research, get the task done . A lot of egos out there that say " me first" . There are still a few gentleman out there but most people now want to be "bedda" then everyone else.  Next time you see someone ( or something, organization, club etc)  that has "given back" with no thought of any compensation except perhaps personal satisfaction in the knowledge of a job well done or that you/they helped someone - made them have a good day, give that person a compliment.

WG

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

I believe that would be a 100 ton Scammell

Up Close and Personal with the Classic 100 tonne Scammell

Same truck! Same plate 100 years later. 👍

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

This was posted on a facebook page with the caption suggesting the coachbuilder was unknown.

The coach builders plate is on the lower edge of the body at the back of the front seat area. It is narrow and horizontal, clear photo would identify if it could be examined with a magnifying loop. The photographer is noted in the lower right corner, that can give a good clue as to location of the car when photographed and also could hint at the location of the coach builder . but that I can't read either. In the photo the structure at the rear has a tile roof - popular in certain areas of the country, yet another possible clue, as are the type of trees - possibly two palm trees?  among other smaller ones?  Chassis is an early Lincoln.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 7:33 PM, edinmass said:

I look at the photo and I can’t help but think what some young engineer today would give me a list of 50 reasons you couldn’t pick up that train. Yet 100 years ago they did it without thinking about it. Those Scottish engineers were certainly thrifty. But their stuff never broke. As a young boy I remember some of them. Men of very little words. They let their accomplishments speak for themselves.  A rare breed. Now extinct. 

I worked with several of them out here in the Colonies. The marine industry here in British Columbia was one of the last havens they took refuge in as Industrial Great Britain crumbled in the 1970's and early 80's. The training they received as young lads back home was second to none. 

Pretty much everything in Canada's marine industry was based on U.K. practice including our Marine Colleges { including quite a few of the instructors } and standards of licenses and certifications { plus many of the Transport Canada inspectors }. 

They definitely knew their stuff , and passed as much as possible on to my generation of Canadians.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2022 at 8:23 PM, edinmass said:

3CECDEE7-FBC2-4DDD-9DE8-9AD441B9DCF5.png

Received a call today from a good friend and automotive scholar, who iditentified this car. The photo is in front of Wrigley's house on Orange Grove Boulevard in Pasadena California. I was way off on my guess as to body builder. It's Murphy coachwork designed by Wellington Everett Miller. A thank you to Randy Ema for setting this one straight. Below is a similar but different design. The car no longer exists.

oo1924_Linc_Murphy.jpg

oo1975_W_E_Miller.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

Received a call today from a good friend and automotive scholar, who iditentified this car. The photo is in front of Wrigley's house on Orange Grove Boulevard in Pasadena California. I was way off on my guess as to body builder. It's Murphy coachwork designed by Wellington Everett Miller. A thank you to Randy Ema for setting this one straight. Below is a similar but different design. The car no longer exists.

oo1924_Linc_Murphy.jpg

oo1975_W_E_Miller.jpg

I met WE Miller at his home in suburban Los Angeles when I bought some literature from him during my US trip in 1978. At age 25, and in those pre internet days,  I didn't really appreciate his place in history. From a quick search of him he must have been in his early 70s then.  Seemed like a nice old guy.

I also think it was from him I purchased a NOS Stephens tail light lens for a friend who was restoring a Stephens car at the time . That car is is a museum somewhere in Europe now I think.

• Like 1

It appears to have American headlamps, so that is a very strong indication of American coachwork. Windshield doesn’t look familiar……….nice car, great photo.

• Like 2

The 1929 Packard photo I posted above prompted another one to appear on the facebook page. Captioned as "A 1928 Packard DeLuxe Eight with “scaphandrier” (deep-sea diver) cabriolet tourer coachwork by Kellner of Paris is shown at a concours on Berlin Grunewald-Rennbahn, a horse racetrack. The Kellner body’s three-position top allowed for a fully open convertible sedan touring, a fully enclosed driving experience and this town car-like configuration 

I know it is an earlier model but the difference of vent doors versus louvres makes a difference?

To me the styling is less successful. There were a lot of slightly outlandish customs which appeared at concours events and you do wonder what ever happened to them. I have a file of photos taken at an event in France in 1925, from a French archive,  which I don't think I have posted - or maybe I have?

May be a black-and-white image of 1 person, car and outdoors

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I met WE Miller at his home in suburban Los Angeles when I bought some literature from him during my US trip in 1978. At age 25, and in those pre internet days,  I didn't really appreciate his place in history. From a quick search of him he must have been in his early 70s then.  Seemed like a nice old guy.

I also think it was from him I purchased a NOS Stephens tail light lens for a friend who was restoring a Stephens car at the time . That car is is a museum somewhere in Europe now I think.

You could have left out the "old" part of your description of WE Miller. We in our 70's+ know we're old, but don't like to be reminded that it's old. after adding up your numbers, you should understand that! haha Just joking, no offense meant.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Shared from a facebook page - "Here is a happy French family with their new custom bodied 1929 Packard."

Maybe someone can be more specific about the car.

Radiator shell is 3rd series Eight, headlamps not the drum type that were standard from the factory, not sure what they are.