Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 5/23/2021 at 2:25 PM, Walt G said:

I was on a tour at night and a car had the Woodlites on it. Great looking light, I agree. So far as being to see anything with the light they cast - well - you get more illumination when you press the button on your wristwatch to see what time it is. I have found that Marchal lights and Grebel lights are fairly decent for after dark illumination.

Perhaps the owner of that car can do the same as Hemi Joel, and clean up the contacts on the switch to see if that makes a difference.

Craig

16 hours ago, Walt G said:

Any idea of location of Blackburn's service station? Great photo love the architecture too.

It's Vancouver B.C. This photo was recently featured in the local Vintage Car club newsletter.  822 Seymour Street.

It's from the city of Vancouver archives.

Prime real estate these days. All massive skyscrapers . In the 1970's when I was a teen a good number of buildings from this time still survived, only a small handfull have made it to the present day. I barely recognise the West end of Vancouver anymore. This is what it looks like these days.1103-822 Seymour Street, Vancouver, BC, Apt/Condo For Sale - REW

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thanks so much for the update on the location and sadly the "progress" regarding tall more modern buildings. As some of you have read here I have mentioned my great interest in older structures - buildings, houses, garages and especially those that have managed to survive to this day and are now 80+ years old. Preserving the landscape of structures is so important, seeing in person "non plastic and alloy" examples that still have their masonry, wood, and cast metal components is as great as seeing a car with original features that are still in use or restored.

Sure repurpose an old building or house, fit new wiring, windows and doors too if in the original manner of style but with modern materials  Roof coverings etc. the old cars we own are still roadable because of modern hoses, tires, wiring, glass , fabrics on the roofs etc. Yes it can and usually is more costly and takes some time and research to "do it right" but it can be done.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

It's Vancouver B.C. This photo was recently featured in the local Vintage Car club newsletter.  822 Seymour Street.

It's from the city of Vancouver archives.

One of my favorites from that collection is this one:

69f5880b-1ecb-4020-8600-b8a7bf1cfaaa-A17

Craig

• Like 7

Ralph Hamlin, a monographed handkerchief in his pocket, stands beside a Franklin Transcontinent Six (available in series 145 short wheelbase or 147 long wheelbase) sedan with a 1930 California dealer license plate "1A 44". Ralph Hamlin was the Franklin automobile distributor in Southern California since 1905.

image.png.a2b26674b26f3f9596eda057137bc0a2.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Original photo caption in Los Angeles Times reads: "Waiting for the starting gun in the twenty-four hour race at Ascot Park yesterday afternoon. In the trying day-and-night automobile grind. In the line they are: The Locomobile, Murray Page driving, with R. J. Leavitt, the heavyweight of the race, leaning anxiously over the hood; Bert Dingley, in Chalmers-Detroit "Bluebird;" Ralph Hamlin in Franklin "Greyhound," and Harry Lord in Studebaker". Photo was printed in the Herald July 12, 1955 and the reprint photo caption reads: "This road race in the 1900s was the forerunner of the development of the American automobile. Ralph Hamlin, pioneer auto racer, who helped to advance the automobile revolution in Los Angeles, and other competitors participated in this race, which lasted 24 hours, on Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 1908. Experiences in auto races helped Hamlin advance his adventure career as auto pioneer".

Race drivers in goggles and dust jackets wait for the starting gun at Ascot Speedway. Ralph Hamlin is driving the Franklin Model H; "Greyhound" is printed on its hood.Dated Nov. 1, 1908.

image.png.95879fa3bc603491a8e316a96906c663.png

• Like 3

Ralph Hamlin sits in his 1902 Franklin automobile. On the wall behind him are California license plates issued throughout the years. A sitting area with an overstuffed chair and ottoman is in front of the vintage cars. Photo caption reads: "Ralph Hamlin, 74, one of the men who helped to bring the automobile age to Los Angeles and advance the automotive revolution, is one man who can dream, with pride, of the brave past and its triumphs. Now in retirement, Hamlin lives on a West Los Angeles estate, surrounded by relics of the past. Above, he shows 1902, 1907, 1904 Franklin autos". Photo dated: July 11, 1955.

image.png.b3b683f4cd0f8cc27fbec864dc3c2ae3.png

• Like 4

Photograph caption dated November 1, 1937 reads, "Mrs. Minnie M. Blandin, 74, who at the turn of the century was vice president of a Wisconsin company that made bodies for 32 makes of 'horseless buggies,' is shown at the wheel of a 1904 model that traveled from San Francisco to New York in 33 days in 1904. She thinks the automobiles are grand."

This auto show took place at the Pan Pacific Auditorium.; Pan Pacific Auditorium was located at 7600 Beverly Boulevard in the Fairfax district in Los Angeles

image.png.a143272c3a6bfae3a4171b6a55c98c1c.png

• Like 4