Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Everyone, PLEASE follow Peter's instructions on how to post the period photos ( pre 1942) it makes things so much easier for the moderators to keep us all going with this thread /topic and causes less work, confusion, etc.  It makes the post of the photo and description so much clearer if done the way Peter suggests . PLEASE help out by cooperating. Thanks everyone

Walt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Everyone, PLEASE follow Peter's instructions on how to post the period photos ( pre 1942) it makes things so much easier for the moderators to keep us all going with this thread /topic and causes less work, confusion, etc.  It makes the post of the photo and description so much clearer if done the way Peter suggests . PLEASE help out by cooperating. Thanks everyone

Walt

Appreciate the clarification and will be happy to. Obviously I missed seeing those bright red letters, sorry all. 

9 hours ago, Walt G said:

Walt

Too little too late after three years of this thread.  I do not appreciate Peter's draconian edict.  It is not at all helpful.  

On 1/22/2023 at 11:25 AM, Terry Harper said:

This lead me down a very deep rabbit hole!

The Parenti looked like a rather innovative and interesting design - especially for 1920. Air cooled V8, Integrated wood body & plywood frame and an interesting and advanced front and rear independent suspension system, inboard rear brakes all rolling on plywood disk wheels. Another articles further on states that their distributors would cover "large territories... radiating concentric" to Buffalo and hold stock in the company.

(Automobile Topics, Dec., 11, 1920)

image.png.84d635a650384c89a1344914861e7e57.png

Details of the rear suspension assembly from Motor Age. Pretty advanced for 1920.

image.png.6f352b6673d27c7018d07e4b70731ee0.png

Note the use of plywood disk wheels.

image.png.86d290dc408e211644be2bd04a5e6396.png61058366-8E74-422F-80AA-0A8EC56F6737.png.78729064af1a5e910cd08dfce03ac3c3.png

That front suspension setup is reminiscent of Amédée Bollée fils' 1899 Tour de France race car.

Bollee-1-425x381.jpg

• Like 4

the 27th automobile Salon was the last one held in NY, all salons were gone,after that as were many of the custom coach building companies.

the souvenir programs issued for each of the salons held ( NY, Chicago, SF, LA) are very very good for information as to who supplied what -- not just body builders but who provided the hardware etc to make the bodies. Amazing research resource. I just purchased a 1923 Chicago Salon program yesterday. Another one to cross off my wanted list .

I started to collect these programs 55 years ago, do not have a full set yet, but nearly so. Austin Clark showed me what they were and that is how I started my own quest to try to get all of them for all the Salons. Primary source material for my research to pen stories.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello Steve,

The fellow on E-bay wants $250.00 for this image. I looked it up and the 27th Automobile Salon was in 1932.

This image appeared in a 1970's Cars & Parts magazine article by Hugo Pfau recounting his experiences as a LeBaron employee and more broadly about the custom coachbuilders and that business.  Here is as good as I can get the image to improve, better than I thought.  The Duesenberg J in the foreground was Car 2500, J479, Judkins berline, the Elizabeth Arden car.  Photo credit: Duesenberg, The Pursuit of Perfection by Fred Roe, page 154

'32 27th Automobile Salon was in 1932.a.jpg

100_4971.JPG

100_4969.JPG

• Like 6