Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

23 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Coal delivery to the home, how many generations never got to see this? 

1930 Ford Model AA Dump Truck 004.jpg

The truck was newer but coal was delivered to my fathers house in the early 40s when I was a little kid just like this box.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Unusual top or something foreign applied to it on a 31/32 Dodge Brothers truck

I think the slats on the top of the roof are there so the owner of the truck who is a construction company can carry some panels or flat boards up there without tearing the roof material for transportation to a construction site. Not heavy stuff but perhaps a 4 x 6 or 4 x 8 piece of ply wood etc. that would be tied down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I think the slats on the top of the roof are there so the owner of the truck who is a construction company can carry some panels or flat boards up there without tearing the roof material for transportation to a construction site. Not heavy stuff but perhaps a 4 x 6 or 4 x 8 piece of ply wood etc. that would be tied down.

I'd assumed it was something like that beings it was used for construction, but wasn't sure if I'd missed something in my research of DB/GB trucks. Thanks for confirmation that I wasn't loosing it. Saved me from frantically searching brochures...

;) 

From my personal collection of the DA-124. Was also made with a Plymouth 4 cylinder or referred to as the U-124 model, they were produced from fall of 1929 to early summer of 1931.

St Louis - Note the 1930 Missouri truck license plate. Would love to purchase the plate 37-450 for nostalgia purposes if anyone has it .

image.png.b94fe75288a21413fbb8ec554c71f07f.png

image.png.300396e493906b080ee2c5bce06300c0.png

From a Ross Roy sales book.

image.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

OK everyone more mumbling about observation from Dave's ( 30DodgePaneal) wonderful contributions! WOW.

Note in the photo of the 3 panel trucks - the one with the two Plymouth based examples for Willard batteries. Go beyond the great trucks look at and study the buildings masonry accents, windows, style, construction, signage, cast brackets to hold signs etc. NO PLASTIC real solid, heavy stuff . Signs on the windows, trucks etc were all hand lettered, no computer generated stick on stuff!!!!! Artists did that. with paint that had to dry . This is what period images tell you and open a staircase to walk down into the past.

Remember you saw it here on the AACA forums! Join AACA if you are not a member, your dues go to pay for this site to be maintained / exist.

• Like 3

On 1/3/2023 at 1:38 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

s-l1600.jpg

There have been comments about the rear tires on this truck and about the car loaded on it.

But I want to know what the heck is the thing on the trailer the truck is pulling. Anyone have an idea?

10 minutes ago, ply33 said:

But I want to know what the heck is the thing on the trailer the truck is pulling. Anyone have an idea?

You and me both! Thanks for asking, I wasn't sure anyone would want to discuss it. 

My guess was maybe a homemade trailer with supports to assist in loading the car onto the bed. 

image.png.1ed4c1492e49f847effe9104091a5607.png

Dr. Robert H. Goddard tows his rocket to the launching tower behind a Model A Ford truck, 15 miles northwest of Roswell, New Mexico. 1930- 1932. Dr. Goddard has been recognized as the "Father of American Rocketry" and as one of three pioneers in the theoretical exploration of space. Robert Hutchings Goddard was born in Worcester, Massachusetts, on October 15, 1882. He was a theoretical scientist as well as a practical engineer. His dream was the conquest of the upper atmosphere and ultimately space through the use of rocket propulsion. Dr. Goddard, who died in 1945, was probably as responsible for the dawning of the Space Age as the Wright Brothers were for the begining of the Air Age. Yet his work attracted little serious attention during his lifetime. When the United States began to prepare for the conquest of space in the 1950's, American rocket scientists began to recognize the debt owed to the New England professor. They discovered that it was virtually impossible to construct a rocket or launch a satellite without acknowledging the work of Dr. Goddard. This great legacy was covered by more than 200 patents, many of which were issued after his death.

• Like 1