Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

3 minutes ago, 72caddy said:

Beautiful photo! Can’t beat the old glass plate stuff.

Completely agree.  Here's another that gives us a glimpse at the temporary living quarters along the way out west. 

Engineers camp - Fisher pass Utah

image.png.062462bbbff850cf1cf2cb6e940595ee.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Turn back to the thrilling days of May, 1938.  A "land plane" with a machine gun in the nose for ground attacks.  That is a pretty sweet idea.  And the driver is shown wearing a parachute.  ?  Well, maybe there was a tad bit wrong with the concept vis-a-vis mobility over rough ground, trenches, barbed wire, land mines, enemy rifle and artillery fire.

DSC01858.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

image.png.eb7f0c4cbb83806334f48d64f2bb5d51.png

Excellent commentary in this photo of not only the car/status but what was considered "normal" for the era. Note the height of the chauffeur at the front and the footman at the rear who is holding the door open for the very tall owner. There was not a great deal of space in the front of town cars, enclosed drive limousines etc. for the people hired to care and operate the cars. fixed front seats - if you had long legs you were very very uncomfortable! I have had this from experience with a lovely 1927 RR Phantom I town car I owned. I have long legs , could hardly walk after driving the car for any length of time.

In the NY City area there were chauffeur's associations/clubs for assorted heritage - Norwegian, Irish, German all had their own associations and clubhouses, garages, equipped with gyms etc. Fascinating history and they even had their own magazine. Would be a great story to tell but no room in our AACA magazine for such things. Note the outfits the fellows are wearing: caps, suit, breeches, chaps, etc. it was a whole different social status in that era just like the make of cars , body styles, etc. Most reading here won't know about, but I have had the exposure to study with the material I have collected and also a period chauffeur's outfit that I was given decades ago.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

Excellent commentary in this photo of not only the car/status but what was considered "normal" for the era. Note the height of the chauffeur at the front and the footman at the rear who is holding the door open for the very tall owner. There was not a great deal of space in the front of town cars, enclosed drive limousines etc. for the people hired to care and operate the cars. fixed front seats - if you had long legs you were very very uncomfortable! I have had this from experience with a lovely 1927 RR Phantom I town car I owned. I have long legs , could hardly walk after driving the car for any length of time.

In the NY City area there were chauffeur's associations/clubs for assorted heritage - Norwegian, Irish, German all had their own associations and clubhouses, garages, equipped with gyms etc. Fascinating history and they even had their own magazine. Would be a great story to tell but no room in our AACA magazine for such things. Note the outfits the fellows are wearing: caps, suit, breeches, chaps, etc. it was a whole different social status in that era just like the make of cars , body styles, etc. Most reading here won't know about, but I have had the exposure to study with the material I have collected and also a period chauffeur's outfit that I was given decades ago.

100% agree... it really is an incredible story in one photo.

The taller man was the Governer of PA at the time. Forget his name now but can retrieve it if necessary

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

Walt, did these chauffeurs' clubs start in the brass era?  If so, even if they continued into the '20s, I imagine the Horseless Carriage Gazette would welcome an illustrated article.  I'm on the editorial committee, and could suggest it to our editor, Tracy Lesher.

Gil Fitzhugh

Edited by oldcarfudd (see edit history)

Gil

I am not sure when the chauffeur's clubs started but will take a look at my reference material. I am guessing ( which I do not like to do so far as accuracy goes) but expect that they did exist in the brass era - most likely in the late brass era? In cities many wealthy people owned cars early on - be it for the novelty or practical use, but many chauffeurs were coming in when hired in Europe because the port of NY was the first stop in the journey across the pond, many came in in "steerage" ie below decks in the hold of the ship because it was the cheapest form of travel .  Sure if the HCCA Gazette is interested I can do a story, would be brief as information mostly is in the very hard to find Chauffeur's periodicals. They did not have big print runs due to the limited audience of readers.

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1