1936 Caddy, minor repair needed

Yup, that’s the car. I was surprised by the amount of wood still being used that late. I can see why a company like Pierce-Arrow did a lot of wood as their volume was much lower, but I would think GM had enough sales to change to more steel construction by then.

Not to offend anyone, but there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding here about woodwork - the cost of the Ash wood stock and the time to shape/fit alone make this a part car.   There is also several thousand dollars of rubber alone in one of these cars too.   And, Cadillac parts are not cheap either - you will find the cost of little parts to be staggering.   All said though, it appears to have a decent grill,decent bumpers, most of a decent dash, decent fenders, decent ...

Example - and if you want a real eye opener try headlamp lenses or perfect hubcaps:

Cadillac Tail Light Lense 1934 1935 1936 LaSalle V8 V12 V16 Original Glass RARE

Condition:
Used

Believed to be an Original Red Glass Tail Light Lense for a 1934 1935 1936 Cadillac V8 V12 V16 and 

... Read more

Price:
US $349.00

Not to offend anyone, but there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding here about woodwork - the cost of the Ash wood stock and the time to shape/fit alone make this a part car.   There is also several thousand dollars of rubber alone in one of these cars too.   And, Cadillac parts are not cheap either - you will find the cost of little parts to be staggering.   All said though, it appears to have a decent grill,decent bumpers, most of a decent dash, decent fenders, decent ...

Tail light lenses ?

This Caddy has a fine set of lenses, why they differ I have no clue ...

tl2.jpg

57 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Not to offend anyone, but there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding here about woodwork -

I have been selling cars similar to that one all my life. That's where my car money comes from. It is not the buyers misunderstanding on bodywork, it's the sellers understanding of how rose colored glasses work. I remember a twin '39 Caddy 75 I sold. No clutter inside, no rust showing on the rusty bumper, a light coat of oil on what paint was left. He has a poor presentation there.

I looked at other items for sale by the seller. My twisted mind said "Oh, some biker with and attitude putting it up for sale to some "tiquer".. Of course that's just my crude take.

Bernie

Took a second look, what do you think they modified the radiator for?

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Even finding that extremely rare calorostat delete plate would be difficult.

The town cabriolet has a strong online presence when one Googles it. Don't worry about the natives. If the end didn't justify the means the whole place would be cluttered with means.

4 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

The town cabriolet has a strong online presence when one Googles it. Don't worry about the natives. If the end didn't justify the means the whole place would be cluttered with means.

It had been used as a Taxi in St. Louis - the drivetrian was totally incorrect from stem to stern, the doors had substantial wood rot and abuse, there was not one decent piece of exterior die cast trim (or interior door handles/window cranks), and ...  That said, it also for some reason had a near flawless dash, beautiful original clock in back seat, not a speck of rust on any part of the car, and ...