Interesting find

bloodowl89

So, I just found out something interesting. I had a previous post on here about a 1963 Chevy and a 1972 Dodge that belonged to my grandpa and great-grandfather respectively. Come to find out they "sold" more like gifted the vehicles to my dad. There is a bill of sale for both but the thing that confuses me is that I believe the vehicles will still be in my grandparent's names because he never transfered the titles. He doesn't want them and I'm interested in project vehicles/restoration. He has already told me that he doesn't mind me having them. What can I do to be able to register both vehicles in my name? Hopefully it isn't some complicated process due to the no transferring if titles. Thank you.

A Model T friend just obtained a title from Vermont for a garage find T, even while giving his Maryland home address.  He had to have Md. police inspect and verify the "vin".  Then Vt. ran a stolen car check on it, which it passed.  He got the title.

Virginia has a similar process for obtaining a title for an abandoned vehicle that could be useful too (maybe with using a little "creativity") and costs $25 at last sighting.   

Be prepared to get as many opinions on this subject as there are members here. Go to your dmv tell them what you told us here and ask them what they want you or your dad to do for a title and/or legal registration.

Contrary to what the “experts” here tell you, the dmv is the ONLY body that knows what you should do.

BTW, if you should decide to sell one of them, I would be interested in the ‘63.

• Thanks 2

It is very state DMV dependent as noted above.  In Pennsylvania where I live there are provisions to pass ownership between  immediate family members.  I’ve done it three times.  As George says, your local DMV rules will determine how you get ownership.

16 hours ago, bloodowl89 said:

I live in Florida by the way for everyone who has replied.

As others have posted, find a knowledgeable (and sympathetic) DMV employee to help you.  That said:

In Florida, to obtain a certificate of title you must, at minimum, have the following:

https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicles-tags-titles/liens-and-titles/

Seems to me the questions are whether your dad can prove ownership and whether the sale price is fair market value.

Hopefully, your dad has titles signed over to him by your grandparents, even though he never transferred them.  If so and they're out-of-state, they have to be verified against the vehicle VINs - not applicable if they're in-state.  Dunno what happens if all he has are bills-of-sale - that's where the knowledgeable and sympathetic DMV employee comes in.

Fees can be expensive.  Rather than paying them twice, it would be cheaper for your dad (assuming he is eligible to title the vehicles) to sell them to you without titling them - you would then title them in your name.  Whether DMV would let you do that is the question.  Also, recall you have to pay sales tax - it may be a problem if they determine the sale price is unreasonably low.