Straightening fuel line.

JamesR

I ordered a new fuel line for my Thunderbird. Because the longitudinal length of the tubing from the tank up to the front wheel is eight or nine feet, they radiused the longest straight portion back 180 degrees so the fuel line would fit into a 50 or 60 inch box for shipping. Would you use a tube bender to straighten the temporary shipping radius out? If so, is there something to know when doing that? Or is there a better method? Thanks.

I guess that I could feed some dense cord of a slightly smaller diameter down from the straight end side until it gets past the radius that needs to be straightened. That should keep it from kinking too bad in the radius, but I'm thinking there has to be a better way. The radius is fairly wide - about 6",  so about a 12" diameter - and I guess I could bend it by hand in small increments, but that would look crappy. I was thinking someone else out there has probably received a fuel line this way, and must have some trick for straightening it out.

OK, I just found this video on youtube. They make it look pretty easy. I was worried that it would kink the tube or something, but apparently not. You just need a long flat surface.  I guess I'll use the kitchen table...when the wife isn't home.

Tech Stop: How To Straighten A Shipping Bend - YouTube

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

Since I make up a lot of brake and fuel lines for my cars, I broke down and bought a tube straightener. I was amazed at how well it works to straighten coiled or bent tubing. Yeah, this one is pricey. There are less expensive versions on the market.

TLF11.jpg

• Like 3

When it's just a piece of tube that is supposed to be totally straight, lay it on a concrete floor, place a short piece of 2x8 over it at a 45 degree angle, and roll it with a foot.  If the tube has other bends, like a complex brake line, it's more difficult, but maybe it could still be done on the corner of a table or a step.

2x8_tube_roller.thumb.jpg.944c9ebb3552cf9e4b99d4c1c6696aad.jpg 

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Since I make up a lot of brake and fuel lines for my cars, I broke down and bought a tube straightener. I was amazed at how well it works to straighten coiled or bent tubing. Yeah, this one is pricey. There are less expensive versions on the market.

My tubing straightener is one of the best tool buys I've ever made. Works great! Expensive but worth every penny and you'll never regret having it around. About $150 from Summit Racing (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kti-72346/overview/)

8-3-19d.thumb.jpg.d06794c1f882b4e05944df24fcadcfad.jpg

8-3-19c.thumb.jpg.af13eb52503d9e23bdbce8aa4f12baf2.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

When it's just a piece of tube that is supposed to be totally straight, lay it on a concrete floor, place a short piece of 2x8 over it at a 45 degree angle, and roll it with a foot.  If the tube has other bends, like a complex brake line, it's more difficult, but maybe it could still be done on the corner of a table or a step.

2x8_tube_roller.thumb.jpg.944c9ebb3552cf9e4b99d4c1c6696aad.jpg 

Unfortunately, the OP's situation is that he has a pre-bent line that is bent in the middle for shipping. Not going to be able to roll that around on the floor. I've used my straightener for exactly this purpose and it worked great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a roll of soft copper tubing , you can straighten it by tying one end down and wrap some of the tubing on the other end around a piece of pipe (1 inch or larger) and use the pipe as a lever and stretch the tubing by pulling on it. The copper tubing will harden but be perfectly straight