New Guy from IL

Brand new to this forum, and here to learn.  I will try to be polite and mind the rules.

For background, one of the first cars I fell for was a 1953 Special 4-door with Dynaflow.  When I was about 9 my folks bought it from my granddad.  I don't know when he bought it, but as far back as I can remember it was part of the family.  There was so many cool features on that car: the accelerator starter button, the radio antenna on the top with the knob to rotate it down, the heater under the seat... and that Straight 8 seemed to be 6' long to a young boy.  I have loved 53 Buicks and Straight 8s ever since.  My folks kept it about 3 years then traded for a used Dodge.  I have not ridden in another one since.

Fast forward about 25 years and I got into 47-55 Chevy Advance-Design trucks.  Love the styling.  Over a 22 year period I had 3 of them, but sold my last nearly 9 years ago.  Looking for another one now...  And it seems almost natural to combine these 2 antique vehicle interests:

I want to repower a Chevy A-D truck with a Buick Straight 8.  Probably not a 263 Special engine, but a 320 from a Roadmaster.  With a 4-speed or 5-speed manual transmission.  Am I crazy?  Comments?  Thanks. 

• Like 1

Sounds fun! I too love the 47-53 Chevy trucks. Didn't like the grille or dash starting in 54.  @old-tank has an old F100 with a buick nailhead V8...  I've seen plenty of straight 8s pop up cheap as guys do LS or other swaps.  Id just warn that the 320 will probably be quite heavier than the stock 235. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 1:12 PM, 50ChevyFrank said:

I know that some Flxible buses had Buick 8s with 4- and 5-speed trans.  Lots of details to work out.  😊

I have seen one many years ago. Those were rear engine buses.

In the AD trucks, the Chevrolet (with the 216/235) had the radiator mounted to the rear of the core support, and the GMC had the radiator mounted on the front of the core support because the GMC six was longer. It barely fits.

The 263 is probably even longer, but given the small bore (and the GMC's large one) maybe it wouldn't be that far off, you would have to measure. Keep in mind the GMC was a cram job.

Buicks had longer sheetmetal in the front to accommodate the 320. It is considerably longer than the smaller eights.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know the Dynaflow is a sturdy trans.  Very smooth.   But I prefer a stick.  Sourcing a pilot bushing, flywheel, clutch assembly and bell housing will probably be the hardest part.  That’s why I mentioned the Flxible buses.  But, I admit to having no firsthand knowledge...  So I appreciate all responses.  

I floated this same idea on the HAMB and the Stovebolt Page with mixed reactions.  

At any rate, it will be some months before I attempt such a project.   Life... happens.  

Thanks again.  

• Like 1

Interesting sounding project. The length and weight of the 320 will be your biggest challenges. Weight can likely be dealt with different springs and shocks, etc., etc. The extra length would mean the engine would most likely intrude into the cab, and mean an inside cover, kind of like the old vans used to have.

I do have a '41 Roadmaster, and if I can remember, I'll measure the length of the engine when I'm in my garage.

It certainly wouldn't be something that you'd see at cruise night's etc. Many of those trucks are out there, but with a Buick Straight Eight? Not so much!

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...