1926 Buick wheels

MiniCJJ64

My father has been getting the wheels off of our 1926 Buick.  He is thinking of getting the split rims Powder coated.  If we were going to get them powder coated should the rim be together or split?  Also how do you install a new tire on to the split rim?  
We have also found our right rear wheel spokes are loose.  He said the spokes that go into the rim seem to be smaller than all the other spokes on the other wheels.  Any recommendations on repair for this wheel.  We are in Peoria, AZ.  Any advice would be great.  

Mini CJJ:

Here is a split rim procedure from the 1920s.1193541686_Tire20removal20pic.thumb.jpg.eba5eb560d4e12b6faa9fbafdeaced09.jpg

A rim spreader is a must. This process works great with nice fresh pliable tires. I tried to install a somewhat stiffer 600X22 tire for my spare. It looked great with hardly any noticeable cracking and had nice tread. But, it was still probably over 60 years old. I had to use a 5 foot pinch bar to get the ends parallel again before I could use the spreader to get the ends to lock. I tore my rotator cuff in 3 places! Be careful!

• Like 1

I use silver paint from rattle can before mounting tires.  The paint gets chipped and scratched during tire changes, so I use a brush to touch-up afterwards.

I know others have nickel plated their rims and leave them un-polished for a more durable factory original look that is better than powder coating.

• Like 1

Definitely you will need a rim spreader.  I also use a set of motorcycle tire irons.  I actually use 3 tire irons.   When I painted my rims, I made them into a loop and closed the latch.  I would do the same if I were powder coating them.    Hugh 

1548625844_rimspreader1.thumb.jpg.e7aa172b1d8ac7847ddfcf4a37d8686c.jpg824658181_rimspreader2.thumb.jpg.2bfc69547d666d63103875a776d95bf1.jpg1397955373_Tiretools.thumb.JPG.b2b555e2d063a932c0c3b00e7d811251.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Believe 1926 rims were originally cadmium plated. I couldn't find anybody that would plate mine. so like Mark, I painted them. And, yes, you will mess up the paint mounting the tires.

Also if you are mounting whitewalls, be aware the little wedges on the rim go on the outside. I mounted four tires the wrong way and had to redo them.

I have a rim spreader but didn't need it with new tires. Just used a flat crow bar to butt the ends.

Don't be intimidated by mounting and dismounting these type tires. Its not very difficult. Getting the tube and flap centered can be a learning experience at first. This task is more about finesse than force. If it requires much muscle you are doing it wrong. In the old manuals it mentioned using talcum powder to relieve sticking of rubber components to each other.

Here is a pic of the homemade rim spreader I fabricated.  The jack was only $5 at the junk yard and only requires twisting the knob by hand to get enough force. A half twist of the knob and tap the rim all around with a mallet.  Repeat. 

Go easy.  You can egg shape a rim very easily with a spreader. 

I put baby powder on the tube and flap too. 

I also may be even cheaper than Mark Shaw.   I use a small paint brush and an old quart of silver rustoleum to touch up the rim. 

07F6747D-546A-4E94-9704-C687C0ABDD59.jpeg

• Like 2