Rusted, Broken Door Hinge Pin Removal ?

Michael-Resurrector

The pin is broken in 3 pieces. It is not  worn, it is only close by so that they fit into the vinegar. I have beat it with a punch until the ends are splayed out making it worse. I think the only thing to do at this point is to take it to a machine shop and have it pressed out or buy a new set of pin and hinge.

Also I thought of using a dremel tool, very thin grinder and cutting the side of the hinges to open it up, and if I get the pins out then weld the hinges back together.

Edited by Michael-Restomod (see edit history)

Giggle, die you sucker die! The only thing is I ran out of propane, I have a big RV tank full, but no adapter to get it into the small bottles. But I feel the same way at this point there is not much to lose. (As said in Treasure Island, for these pins: Them that die'll be the lucky ones.)

Bob and Mark here is a better picture of the hinges and pin pieces.

zCAM05645f.jpg.a0eec9428ec3bcecad7c9b2e2b69a6e8.jpg.

Under the heading of horse out of the barn,..... mashing the ends of stuck pins and fasteners can be prevented. 

Anytime you need to drive out a stuck pin, use a drift pin that is close to the same diameter and slightly undersized for the hole. Make sure the end of the drift is ground flat and 90 degrees to the drift. Otherwise, if it's not perfectly flat it will mash out the stuck pin and make it a tighter fit.

And if the pin end is protruding, avoid hitting the end of the pin directly with a hammer face that is a bigger diameter than the pin. Especially if the hammer face is not perfectly flat. That's  like peening a rivet to mushroom.

I have a roll-around tool box drawer full of different  length and diameter drifts. Some steel, some brass, and some made of hard wood, for different situations and materials.

Paul

When you say you cant get the propane from the RV to the small bottles are you referring to those small torches?

Those things don't get hot enough to do much good.

You need an oxy acetylene set up to get real heat.

• Like 1

Don't take this wrong, but I think you should put the oxy acetylene set up higher on your list as it seems like you are doing a lot of car work and the right tools make things a lot easier.

It would have just about paid for itself on this hinge project.