1936 Buick ??? RoadMaster/ Century / 40 ???

Sabino

F6620561-C633-4290-95EF-396927046166.thumb.jpeg.ccd1c622226567119c15b7d7073ea214.jpegneed a little help identifying this model and engine size ... 1936 Buick told it was a RoadMaster but I only have a 1/2 a Data tag , engine casting # 43084226 , Speedo says 120MpH which would identify it as a Century, But the casting #’s on the engine block says it’s a series 40..  Thank You in advance 

406363C1-2305-44AD-8E30-FC38E5A338B2.jpeg

• Like 1

Can you measure the wheelbase? That would be a huge clue. All 3 models are different as far as I know. Some quick (unverified) searching produced this:

Special:          118 inches

Century:          122 inches

Roadmaster:  131 inches

There are several 1936 Buick owners in here, hopefully someone can confirm.

• Like 1

Ok I measured it and the wheel base is 118” , which would mean series 40 , But Why does it have dual side mounts , and a speedo that reads 120MpH ..  from info I’ve collected on the web it states that dual side mounts and a Speedo that reads 120MpH were the bigger cars with a bigger engine..  Century, RoadMaster or 90 ..  something ain’t right 

6F499411-BF63-4E47-A4AD-652D0EA0DBA0.jpeg

The sidemounts were simply an option. The presence or absence of sidemounts does not denote any particular series. The speedometer appears to be a standard 1936 Buick Speedometer. Based on the engine number and wheelbase, as well as a glance at the photo of the car above, your car is a 1936 Buick Special Model 41. That makes it one of the 77,007 1936 Buick Model 41 four door sedans produced. The Model 41 was the most common 1936 Buick body style.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the 40 series used the small engine, which I believe you are correct would be a 233 for 1936. I would suggest you also might want to check out and consider joining the 36-38 Buick Club at http://www.3638buickclub.org/ . If you send me your email address either by private message on this site, or through the contact the webmaster on the 36-38 Buick Club site, I will be happy to send you a pdf copy of a recent club newsletter.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Data plate was affixed by rivets on cars of that era I have seen. Not later phillips head self tapper

1936 chassis numbers start at 2830899

1937 chassis numbers start at 2999497

More photos would help

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Pictures of the engine as well as the engine number might nail down whether it is a 40/special or not. A larger car has a larger engine that looks similar, but is physically enough larger that the engine compartment has to be longer to accommodate it.

The wheelbases are in my post above, another good clue.

Philips head screws for any purpose on a 1936 GM car are unlikely to be original.

As Matt said above, if the data plates are to be believed it is clearly a Century model 61. Both the English (American?) plate and the German plate match.  I would also like more pictures. Especially a wider view of the firewall with the dara plates. What I am thinking is that the English plate may have been legitimately moved to accommodate the installation of the heater which is clearly indicated by the hose above the German plate. It is common in the American cars for the data plate to be removed or destroyed when the heater is installed. My 37 Roadmaster Phaeton has had the data plate removed as one of the heater tubes clearly goes right through where the plate was mounted. I wish my data plate had been moved and remounted, even with Phillips screws!!!