1971 CITROEN DS20 WAGON 5 SPEED-MAKE OFFER

I IMPORTED THIS VEHICLE FROM THE NETHERLANDS SEVERAL YEARS AGO. IT WAS FORMERLY USED IN FRANCE AS A PRIVATE AMBULANCE AT AN AMUSEMENT  PARK. IT HAD TRAVELED ONLY 71,700 KM OR ABOUT 46K US MILES.THE CITROEN ENTHUISAST IN THE NETHERNANDS WHO ACQUIRED IT REMOVED THE GURNEY AND INSTALLED THE 2 PROPER REAR JUMP SEATS AS A CIVILIAN MODEL WOULD HAVE FEATURED. THE CAR WAS REPAINTED IN AN ORIGINAL CITROEN COLOR SCHEME  AND HAD THE CLUTCH AND PRESSURE PLATE REPLACED. THE HYDRAULICS PUMP UP QUICKLY AND WILL STAY UP THROUGHOUT  THE DAY.  THE CAR WAS THOROUGHLY SERVICED WITH NEW BRAKES, LMH FLUIDS AND FRONT & REAR SEAT COVERS. IT HAS NEVER HAD ANY RUST, THIS CAR HAS AN ADDITIONAL  GEAR/SPEED  5 SPEED  OPTION  NOT SEEN ON US MODELS UNTIL LATTER. THE CAR WAS SHIPPED VIA ENCLOSED CONTAINER TO NORFOLK VA,  THE CAR IS FULLY REGISTERED AND LICENSED IN VIRGINIA. I UPDATED THE IGNITION SYSTEM TO A SOLID STATE SYSTEM AND RECENTLY REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP. IT IS THE MOST COMFORTABLE CLASSIC  CAR I HAVE EVER DRIVEN AND ALMOST STOPS TRAFFIC WHEREVER YOU ARE. RELUCTANLY SELLING DUE TO LOSS OF STORAGE SPACE. $35,000.00 OR NEAR OFFER, CALL NICK AT 703-966-8422 CAR IS 20 MILES WEST OF DC.

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

cm2.jpg

cm3.jpg

Edited by bullrun (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A Citroen station wagon - any "D" Series - is a very special vehicle -

Besides the Maserati-engined Citroen SM sport coupe, and several 2-CV/Mehari/Ami-6 2-cylinder models, we've owned six different Citroen DS-21 Series vehicles. Three of them were SAFARI / BREAK  wagons, all six with the larger DS-21 engine, and three were with the Citromatic transmission. CITROMATIC is actually a 4-speed stick shift and clutch, but with a fingertip lever engaging the hydraulics to release and engage the clutch, and to move the shifting forks - an ingenious system which is infinitely adjustable for speed of operation. 

My wife and I drove our sedans and wagons cross-country for years and years with no problems, and our 1st 1967 DS-21 sedan absolutely saved my life in a high speed head-on crash when a new full-sized Mercury came across the highway. All of the designed-in safety features really made the difference, from the front crush zone where the transmission, behind the spare tire, is forward of the mid-mounted engine, to the safety single-spoke steering wheel where the spoke is angled below the driver's rib cage, to the world-class 3-point belts and perimeter frame of the car itself - built like a roll cage  --  just amazing !!

Truly the world's most comfortable driving vehicle on hydro-pneumatic self-leveling suspension with a single system controlling the suspension, power steering, power brakes, and Citromatic shifting - but with the reserve capacity to stop the car twenty (20) times from full speed even in the event of a catastrophic hydraulic failure without the engine operable to run the 2200 psi hydraulic pump. By the way, the suspension part of the Citroen hydro-pneumatic system was later licensed by Rolls-Royce for use on their luxury cars.

Wish I had the space and time for this gem -

but if the lottery (I know, cannot win without a ticket) comes for me, my first choice would be the Citroen DS-21 Henri Chapron convertible - my wife's dream car !

16 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Check what this convertible sold for!

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-citroen-ds-6/

I can honestly say in all the literature I have sold and I just got done listing Citroen stuff the other night,  I have never even seen literature for this type of convertible,  where I did list several wagon pieces like the original car of this thread.  Hence it must be pretty rare if they didn't even advertise it much. That's why it commanded such a price. 

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Wow, that's too cool. You do come up with some neat cars! I love wagons and weird stuff so this really gets my attention. Not for everyone but for the right guy that will be an awesome find.

Hey Matt,

Maybe you could do a straight up swap with the '41 Buick convert.

Just an idea....................

A couple of years ago at the Woodland Park, Colorado "Cruiz Above the Clouds" car show, Dennis Gage walked right by my '40 LTD to interview the owner of a Citroen wagon similar to this.

I got him later to hold the tommy gun in front of mine.

Mike in Colorado

For several years, Dale & I drove an identical pair of white with grey roof 1971 Citroen DS-21 White Station Wagons (aka Break), and had a white/grey  1967 DS-21 wagon. Our DS-21 and Pallas sedans were both 1967, but we also had the 1972 Citroen Maserati-engined 4 OHC sport coupe, the 425 cc 2-CV, and the 602 cc (Big Block?) Ami-6, as well as a Mehari, 11-CV, and 15-CV for some periods of time.

The DS-21 Chapron convertible is one of my "dream cars", but regrettably is now an unaffordable dream.

A 2CV. SM, and DS break all came from Marty, and I enjoyed them immensely....very odd cars but driving qualities you'd find nowhere else....

Money wise, hard to justify those dollar signs for this nice car, unless you have a mechanic on payroll who could get up to speed on Citroen idiosyncrasies...

• Thanks 1

Trimacar,

i believe you you eventually got both of my 1971 Citroen Station Wagons, as well as the 2-CV and the super fast SM, a 5-speed stick with the 4- Overhead Cam Maserati engine-

wish I knew where that car was today!

best to your family for Christmas and the New Year