1938 desoto brakes issues

2nevets

Stuck here-my dilemma 
when I hook up all the brake lines to the junction box-no brake pedal-when I disconnect the rears-I get a perfect pedal-All I did at first was adjust the external brakes with the large nuts on the backing plates and then wham all goes south-there is no air in the lines trust me-so I replaced-master-all wheel cylinders- hoses -steel lines-junction block-I cant get a damn pedal unless I bypass the rears.shoes are fine-from what I have read its all in the adjustments because it appears others with the same era car have had the same issue.makes no sense-I can adjust so the drum wont turn and still no pedal
Any old timers out there?
many thanks

Use the same analogy used in trying to find a stubborn electrical short by isolating the different circuits. Make a plug/cap to block the back line at the junction block and bleed the front. If the front turns out good then there is a problem with the rear section . could be a blocked line some where especially in old hoses. Disconnect lines and blow with air, assuming , as you said, the cylinders are replaced with new ones. A lot has to do with patience. remove a bleeder screw and plug the hole with you finger. Get an assistant to pump the pedal and see if the fluid is coming through. Also check the distribution block. Another "fault " could be the adjusting cam (big nut, eccentric) could go over the high point and drop back right down to zero. I am not saying that is the cause but it is a possibility worth looking into. The correct way to adjust the linings is to adjust the eccentrics using a screw driver with the big nuts loose until the wheel is locked and then back off to a slight drag then lock down the big nut. THOSE BRAKES LINING ARE INTERNAL , NOT EXTERNAL.

Make sure that the piston depth is the same from your old wheel cyls. to the new ones.

If the pistons are deeper the little rod that goes in there wont push the piston far enough to get a pedal.

I have seen this on old Mopars.

16 hours ago, trini said:

Use the same analogy used in trying to find a stubborn electrical short by isolating the different circuits. Make a plug/cap to block the back line at the junction block and bleed the front. If the front turns out good then there is a problem with the rear section . could be a blocked line some where especially in old hoses. Disconnect lines and blow with air, assuming , as you said, the cylinders are replaced with new ones. A lot has to do with patience. remove a bleeder screw and plug the hole with you finger. Get an assistant to pump the pedal and see if the fluid is coming through. Also check the distribution block. Another "fault " could be the adjusting cam (big nut, eccentric) could go over the high point and drop back right down to zero. I am not saying that is the cause but it is a possibility worth looking into. The correct way to adjust the linings is to adjust the eccentrics using a screw driver with the big nuts loose until the wheel is locked and then back off to a slight drag then lock down the big nut. THOSE BRAKES LINING ARE INTERNAL , NOT EXTERNAL.

All new brake goodies-I already isolated the rears and the brakes work perfect-once I hookup the rears all goes south-what do you mean internal not external?

Edited by 2nevets (see edit history)

1 minute ago, 2nevets said:

All new brakes goodies-I already isolated the rears and the brakes work perfect-once I hookup the rears all goes south-what do you mean internal not external?

Internal are inside the drum and pushing toward the outside as your do. External wrap around the drum on the outside and push inward as in the older 1920s stuff.

Im thinking master cylinder maybe? I pulled the drums and had my son pump the brakes and only one side of the shoe would expand-and that was driver and passenger side-I even clamped the wheel cylinders so the cups would not expand still nothing-now I would think that if the internals of the wheel cylinder could not move I would have a pedal-however when I isolate the front from the rear I have a rock hard pedal-could it be I have a defective chinese piece of &^$^&&^ master? I bled the lines so I know its not that

Edited by 2nevets (see edit history)

If you have a stock type single master cylinder and you block off the rear brakes to get a good pedal, then the master must be good.  Check for a blockage in the line going to the rear brake

4 hours ago, 2nevets said:

Im thinking master cylinder maybe? I pulled the drums and had my son pump the brakes and only one side of the shoe would expand-and that was driver and passenger side-I even clamped the wheel cylinders so the cups would not expand still nothing-now I would think that if the internals of the wheel cylinder could not move I would have a pedal-however when I isolate the front from the rear I have a rock hard pedal-could it be I have a defective chinese piece of &^$^&&^ master? I bled the lines so I know its not that

If only the front shoe or the rear shoe moves, then the pistons or the rods are not correct for the wheel cylinder, as Jack M posted. If they are not the correct  size, the master cylinder rod will reach the end of its travel before the shoes can expand.

With the drum ON loosen the big nut on the eccentric bolt and turn right up until the wheel locks up. IF IT DOES NOT THEN IT NEEDS SHOE RELINED. relining those shoes on old drums , shoes should be arched for best results. If the shoes are not moving when pedal is pressed ,but lots of fluid coming out of the bleeder then obviously the  wheel cylinders are duds.  

Obviously the rear cylinders are not working. Pistons may be stuck. THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO. remove one cylinder, remove the piston and rubbers ,cleanup and reinstall the pistons and rubber. hold it in a vize and use shop air to see if pistons are moving. Pistons could be seized: rubbers could be swollen. Alumunium cylinders are famous for corrosion and seizing.  If you are sure the cylinders are correct have them lined with stainless steel.

If when you connect the back brakes up and you loose pedal pressure then the wheel cylinders are moving if there is no air in the lines.  If the wheel cylinders are froze up you would still have pressure at the pedal, just like when you take the rears out of the system.  I would guess that either the wheel cylinders are not contacting the finger on the shoe, or the shoes are not contacting the drums. 

Is this a single bowl cylinder?

OK, so take the rear drums off, Take the shoes off, get a c-clap or similar and cover the pistons so that they cant pop out of the cylinders.

You might even cobble spacers of some kind so you are sure the pistons have a solid stop.

You will have to do both sides at the same time.

If this makes sense then you should be able to figure gist of what I am trying to explain.

That's exactly what I did and It held

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

OK, so take the rear drums off, Take the shoes off, get a c-clap or similar and cover the pistons so that they cant pop out of the cylinders.

You might even cobble spacers of some kind so you are sure the pistons have a solid stop.

You will have to do both sides at the same time.

If this makes sense then you should be able to figure gist of what I am trying to explain.

held the pressure

hchris , you are on the ball.I worked on old vehicles where I had to send the shoes to be fitted with oversize linings which then had to be arched to fit the drums. Brakes do not work by magic but by mechanical and hydraulic means. Very easy to diagnose. and repair. It is # 1 safety issue.NO COMPROMISE.

You describe a sudden problem. If there is no leaking fluid to be seen, (it has to drip out somewhere)  then the hydraulics should be good. 

My thought - Check your lock nut.

I'm Not an expert on Desotos but a similar thing happened to my friend with a 51 Kaiser. He adjusted the brakes (previously low pedal) drove it around the block, had a good pedal for a few stops then the pedal almost goes to the floor. 

The cam type adjustment for the shoes that is accessible on the backing plate is held in place with a lock nut. He loosened the locknut, adjusted the wheel for a slight drag and tightened the locknut BUT NOT ENOUGH. As he drove it, the cam lost the adjustment and no pedal. 

He jacked it up again, readjusted for slight drag and then tightened the heck out of the locknut. no more problem. 

19 hours ago, hchris said:

Have you centralised the shoes ?

Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth brakes require that you get the shoes concentric in the drum before anything else, it's complicated if you don't have the right tool, plenty written up about it.

If needed and always is on a quality brake job  reline and new hydraulics..

Reline the shoes using lining material...... .180"thickness up to .030" oversize drums.......   .200" for up to .060" over size drums ( too thick of lining on .030" and under drums and you won't get the drum on!

The shoes have to fit even to the drum or the shoes twist....low pedal!

Arc each set (2) of shoes to fit match each drum...find someone to do it... a big truck shop or brake rebuilder. Do this step!

Move the shoes up/down to center them in the drum using the lower anchor bolts  ....and them adjust them outward to lightly rub the drums for the last adjustment ( 1-1/16" hex bolt)  in the middle of the backing plate. one for each shoe.

READ your factory shop manual !!!

Pictures showing arcing of MoPar shoes and doing a major adjustments with the ammco 1750 and the miller factory tool set.... pictures showing shoes that the linings don't match the drum at all.

Also the tools to do the job quickly and correctly. But not available.

Others can chime in on other cheater ways to get the shoes to fit the drums enough for wear in.

Miller MT-19 Brake Gauge C49 Chrysler Brakes (23).JPG

Daly 1508 37 Packard front brake shoe arc job (29).JPG

Ammco 1750 Checking Shoe Clearance Location.JPG

Miller MT-19 Brake Gauge C49 Chrysler Brakes (26).JPG

Daly 1508 37 Packard front brake shoe arc job (16).JPG