New engine for my 37 Chevy p/u

junkyardjeff

I have two engine projects going on right now,one is gathering parts to put a original engine back in my 55 Ford and the other is for my 37 Chevy p/u,the one for the 37 is a 60 235 to replace a 57 235 that needs a crank but still runs. Was wanting to paint it a original 37 color but at 25 dollars a rattle can and 150 a quart its getting a tractor gray,was going to see if I could find a running 37 216 but did not want to give up 50 hp since I can keep up with traffic with the 235.

100_9615.JPG

100_9599.JPG

100_9600.JPG

• Like 1

The color looks great to my 70 year old eyes.

There was a topic on the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America 1933 thru 1936 forum approximately a year about the original engine color for 1930s Chevrolet engine.

Someone asked what the original color of gray was used and the consensus of the answer was "Yes".  Yes meaning Chevrolet used several suppliers and depending on the factory where the engine was built, the engine paint supplier, and paint batch the gray color could be different.  Same supplier and different batches could even be a different gray color.

11 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

The 235 is a much better choice for the truck. The 216 had babbitted bearings a splash oiling system. I believe it's getting difficult and expensive to rebuild an engine with those bearings, and the splash system in those old Chevys worked poorly at best when driving at higher speeds.

It has 3.55 gears and a S10 T-5,the gears are too tall for the present 1957 235 to operate efficiently and was told that in 59 the sixes got a cam for better low rpm torque so before changing to 3.73s I will see how the new engine handles those gears.