1932 Plymouth differences on late VS early?

Brooklyn Beer

Is this where you tried? This is the original information site....

Chrysler Historical Collection
12501 Chrysler Freeway
CIMS 41-011-21
Detroit, MI 48288
Fax – 313-252-2928
www.chryslerheritage.com

The site has been offline for quite a while. May have been just prior to FIAT taking over. I believe they stopped participating for a while and may still not be providing information. The original girl, Danielle was great in proving me with "build cards" for my 1931 Dodges.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

Newest site . Scroll to bottom . All request by email or fax only .  https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/footer/Pages/contacts.aspx

Here you go....looks like the same address I gave earlier....

IMG_6502 (2).JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

OK, I am not a fan of this yellow wire from the coil. What color should this wire be and what gauge?

The 1933 PD wiring diagram shows the wire from the coil to the distributor to be "small black braid". I have a spool of black cloth covered #14 gauge wire that I use.

I don't know if the '32 is the same or different but that seems to be the type of thing that they maintained some consistency on over multiple model years.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Great.  I have some of that here as well from the Buick repairs. Concerning lights. Head lights and tail lights. What are the bulb numbers?  I would especially like to put an LED out back and need the bulb number.  Head light bulb? Just getting things in order so I can get right to work when the car gets here.

12 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Great.  I have some of that here as well from the Buick repairs. Concerning lights. Head lights and tail lights. What are the bulb numbers?  I would especially like to put an LED out back and need the bulb number.  Head light bulb? Just getting things in order so I can get right to work when the car gets here.

For PA: https://www.ply33.com/Models/PA/specs.html

For PB: https://www.ply33.com/Models/PB/specs.html

p.s. For headlights see https://www.ply33.com/Repair/lights Since I wrote that up it looks like some LED options have become available and I am tempted to get some to try. Classic and Vintage Bulbs has some that I think will fit and have 2500 lumens light output (vs the 600 lumens of the quartz-halogen I am currently using): http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/page6.html I haven't even ordered them yet so I can't say how well they will focus, etc. but they are enticing.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

These the ones your talking about ?  

img105.gif  

16 LED Ba15 Bayonet 15 mm                 6-12 volt
These LEDs are suitable for pre war type lamps from the Late 20's to 50's.  High and low beam and single. 2500 Lumens
600 ma at 12v  +ve or -ve earth and will work from 6v to 12v.
Single LEDs are not suitable on resistance dip systems.
LEDs give a natural white light and produce a softer beam pattern

3 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

These the ones you're talking about ?  

Yes. I have some doubts about how good the beam pattern will be as the original incandescent bulbs are basically a point source but the LED emitters cover a fairly wide area. So they may not work well (project light in the correct places). But the low power consumption and high light output would mean the original generator could still be used and your total light output would be about that of a modern car. Thus my earlier comment that they seem enticing.

There has been discussion about these type LEDs on the Franklin club boards as well and some people have said they have not see a giant increase in light over regular bulbs but they are very happy the generator is working a whole lot less. I am guessing with good reflectors they would be better. But stopping the TAX on old wiring surely will save on repairs down the road. I turn on the Trippe Lights and the amp gauge lets me know a good replacement bulb that would be more amp friendly would not hurt. All 4 of these big, bad beauties running is quite a lot.

IMG_03241.jpg

11 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Light output much less than 2500 lumens at 6 V? That is for 12 V.

That is a question that I'd ask before buying.

But it is my understanding that the basic high output LED chips have about a 3 volt drop. To make them work properly they need to be properly voltage and current controlled. So that hidden somewhere in the assembly is some circuitry that limits the voltage/current to the LEDs to the required 3v and maybe deals with polarity inversion (to allow a lamp to be used on both positive and negative ground vehicles). So the devil is in the details of that control circuitry and the description on that website says almost nothing about that.

18 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Interesting.  Would they drop the 12 volt to 3 volt.  Is the Lumens then based off of 3 volt output?   That is a good question worth asking them.  I think I will.  But just in case I ordered a spare set of regular bulbs as spares.  I did not find but one bulb seller that had any in stock.

Regular spares are a good idea. I've got several #1000 incandescent and one 25 watt quartz-halogen headlight bulbs in my spares. And I carry some of those spares in a small box in my car's glovebox.

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

what number is the 25 watt quartz halogen?  And do they pull more amps then the 1000's?

Per my page at https://www.ply33.com/Repair/lights listed above, I picked the 25 watt quartz-halogen because they draw just about the same power as the #1000s. At that time they also had a 35 watt quartz-halogen bulb but I thought that would be stressing the headlight switch and generator too much so I went with the lower wattage bulb.

They still list a quartz-halogen bulb but I don't see the wattage rating on it. Their description is:

Ba15d Bayonet 15 mm                       6, 8 & 12 volt
The Ba15 bulb will replace the majority of headlamp bulbs used from the mid 1920's to late 40's for  American and English vehicles.
Replaces # 168, 169, 171, 1000, 2086, 1124, 1190 etc
Halogens produce a brighter light and precise beam .pattern.

I am kind of wondering what this bulb would do in white light.  They have a very good and LONG write up about the bulb      https://www.ledlight.com/g18-s25-1158-ba15d-2_6-watt-6-volt-ac-or-dc-non-polarity.aspx

1158 LED Bulb 6 volt product 87578
Actual Product may vary from picture shown.
One product per package unless otherwise stated.

1158 LED Bulb BA15D Base 6 Volt 2.6 Watt G18