removing old contact cement

JohnD1956

Does anyone have suggestions for easily removing the contact cement used,  to hold the trunk weather stripping in place, on my 69 GS?

I am looking for something that will not attack the original paint in the channel. 

Thanks

I've had success with a product called "Goof Off"...takes off super glue with no problem so I would think it would handle contact cement.  Comes in liquid form in a yellow can that resembles the old "3 in 1" Singer oil cans.  I would believe you'd find it in the auto section of Wally and such or any auto store.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RivNut said:

What ever you use, you'd be well off to try some in an inconspicuous place before jumping right in.

that's the plan.  I am laying off the acetone and thinner cause I do not want to have to repaint the channel.  And I may do nothing, for now, as the seal I bought does seem to hold in the groove of the channel.  But saw Goo Gone and now that Goof Off recommended in other places too.  So I may give them a try. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnD1956 said:

that's the plan.  I am laying off the acetone and thinner cause I do not want to have to repaint the channel.  And I may do nothing, for now, as the seal I bought does seem to hold in the groove of the channel.  But saw Goo Gone and now that Goof Off recommended in other places too.  So I may give them a try. 

FYI - Goof Off's claim to fame is removing latex based paint from whatever it gets spilled on. So keep in mind it's paint remover.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

If that car still has the original lacquer paint you will never get the cement off.  The solvents in the cement soften the paint and become part of it when dry.

Oh boy!  I am sure it is original paint there.  And that glue does seem to be very hard.  Thanks for the observation Willie.