1931 DeSoto SA Six Four-Door Sedan

• 2 weeks later...

Love the car Ron. I might have to add on the new garage already.  I just traded my 80 Z28 for this Desoto's little brother in the same color combination in the form of a 31 Plymouth.  .  The next car on the list is a Desoto. Thanks for sharing. Hope one as nice as this is around when I am ready. Can I ask if there is any evidence of the car once being pin stripped?

2 minutes ago, erichill said:

So where is the guy complaining a while back about how all these old cars cost too much, and people are being unrealistic about their prices. Here's one heck of a deal in my opinion.  Sorry my little shop is full already with two pre war cars. 

If I had more than a minimum of income, I would be all over it. It is VERY well priced.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:22 PM, ron hausmann said:

All -

Please somebody buy it! I want to start my next Kissel Kar restoration but just plain have no more realistic work space! 
Thanks, Ron Hausmann 

Judging by your signature, you have a shortage of DeSoto's, and a GLUT of Kissels.  You need to keep the DeSoto and sell off those excess Kissels. 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just wrote a clever witty suggestion which my ill-designed iPad keyboard evaporated. I put an inordinate amount of time into my well written response. I make it a policy to never re-write what is stolen from me. Bottom line : Get the car road ready.  

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Ron.     -    Carl 

The Desoto was Walter Chrysler trying to give the working man a Chrysler, at a Desoto's Price. The Plymouth and Dodge were below that and the Desoto was one under a Chrysler with a lot of fit and finish and a Six Cylinder and some eights like the Imperials etc.,

It will sell just like C Carl said get it road worthy

10 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

My understanding is that they were a bit more upscale, neither luxury nor working mans cars.They were priced between Plymouth’s and Chrysler’s . Many Chrysler parts interchange.

Ron 

Interesting, thanks. A quick search of ebay turned up a surprising number of NOS parts. Learn something new everyday... Cool car!

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)

On 10/31/2019 at 12:31 AM, marcapra said:

what is stopping this DeSoto from running?  A battery?  

On 10/31/2019 at 7:59 AM, ron hausmann said:

matcapra - last was run in 1984. But I have no doubt that it would run again easily with a battery, fresh gas, fresh oil, and checking the valves. It’s been in a heated shop or garage since 1984 and standing by. It ran great when I was driving it, but today it just doesn’t fit with my 1920’s and Kissel Kars. Hope it finds a good home.

Ron Hausmann

On 10/30/2019 at 6:40 PM, GregLaR said:

Ron,

This looks like a great car at a nice price.

If I wasn't 2,000 miles away, I think I would drop by for a closer look.

Greg

Ron, you, and only you, know how well the car runs. Yes, a 35 year layup requires a methodical sequential restart process. But with a free turning flathead engine, that is neither all that time consuming, nor costly. Check out and lube the water pump, put a fan belt on it, and begin a proper FULL-service re-commissioning. (Does the car have hydraulic brakes - that will be the most involved part of making the car road ready). You have the facilities to EASILY do this, and the sum total of time and money involved will be a fraction of any single particular element of your many superb restorations. This car is a TRUE survivor, aging gracefully with TRUE patina rather than agonizing, disfiguring damage. My guess is that it runs at least as well as it looks. Prove me right, and perhaps Greg, but certainly someone, could come and drive it home. A turn-key car sells more quickly for more money than the proverbial pig (as in poke). Again, at this point, you are the only one, who, like the proverbial hairdresser, knows for sure.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Ron ! And again, thank you very much for sharing your great work with us.    -    Carl 

LOOKY HERE ! I CAN'T  BELIEVE IT !!!!!!!! MY CLEVER COMPOSITION REGURGITATED, FROM WHERE I DO NOT KNOW. 

Ron, I think your offer to fix it up for the small increase in price is quite generous.   Best of luck with the sale.