I Don't Drive This Car Enough

JRHaelig

I keep this car up the street at my Dad's, so it's not like it's inconvenient, but I just don't get to it on the weekends as much as I should.  I'm reminded of this when I do get it out and find out what a great driver it is. 

My grandfather bought it new in '63 and did over 100,000 miles of touring based out of New Jersey.  He gave it to me in 1977 and I managed to not ruin it.  Body and interior are original, engine and transmission have been rebuilt.

It is a beautiful car, and not one you want to have to restore, given the miles of wiring and vacuum lines! 

lincoln 2.jpg

lincoln interior.jpg

• Like 6

What a great story. I know a man who has his grandfathers 1931 Reo Royale Sedan in excellent condition that was passed down to him from his father. 

Keep it close as it is a prize. I always liked those cars and every time I see the movie Christmas Vacation I am reminded as there is a Blue Convertible on the street scenes.

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

It's great that your family has kept that car for so long.

As JamesR said, it is very difficult to hand down cars from one generation to the next.

Following generations tend to not treasure a vehicle like previous ones did.

I am the only grandchild that could have taken my grandfather's Pierce when I did and maintained it and loved it like I have.

I am hoping the next generation will be careful caretakers of both the Pierce Arrow and the Rickenbacker.

• Like 1

I have a 62 convertible and you are right,  they are excellent drivers. I really like the color combination on yours. It is close to the plan I have for my car. I am envious of the family connection you have to your cat. It's definitely a keeper. 

• Like 1

They are great driving cars.  And you’re right about complicated, it took me a long time to get my 62 Convertible sorted out.  I learned a lot from taking on that project, like next time do a simpler car!  Looks like you’re doing a great job of looking after it.