Local Bug Club

mike6024

We regularly drive up the mountain to Highlands NC for the Saturday car gathering called "Butts on the Bench."   Last time we went a few weeks ago with our 57 Ranchero, there were two VW Beetles and a VW  Microbus there among  others, including a 24 Cadillac.  Yesterday we took our 66 Beetle to join with a VW Thing, 3 Morgans. a Jag XK 140, a couple of Panzers, a Austin Healey 3000, a few MGB's and Porsches.   Most Saturdays about a dozen cars of interest.  We've seen everything there from a 1914 Model T to a 2019 Corvette and a McClaren.  This group hosts the Highlands Motoring Festival the second weekend in June each year that draws cars from all over the southeast.  This year the feature make was Shelby and next year it will be Packard, which proves to be a motoring festival with altitude.  (4118 ft.)

7 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

We regularly drive up the mountain to Highlands NC for the Saturday car gathering called "Butts on the Bench."   Last time we went a few weeks ago with our 57 Ranchero, there were two VW Beetles and a VW  Microbus there among  others, including a 24 Cadillac.  Yesterday we took our 66 Beetle to join with a VW Thing, 3 Morgans. a Jag XK 140, a couple of Panzers, a Austin Healey 3000, a few MGB's and Porsches.   Most Saturdays about a dozen cars of interest.  We've seen everything there from a 1914 Model T to a 2019 Corvette and a McClaren.  This group hosts the Highlands Motoring Festival the second weekend in June each year that draws cars from all over the southeast.  This year the feature make was Shelby and next year it will be Packard, which proves to be a motoring festival with altitude.  (4118 ft.)

What type of Panzers ? Tigers? Tiger 1, 2 etc.?

17 hours ago, Pfeil said:

What type of Panzers ? Tigers? Tiger 1, 2 etc.?

Some small assembled sporty little things with motorcycle front fenders.  Not    

tanks.   I may have the name wrong.  But cute.

2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Some small assembled sporty little things with motorcycle front fenders.  Not    

tanks.   I may have the name wrong.  But cute.

Actually a Panzer is any type of armored vehicle. Tank, Armored Troop Carrier,  Armored Half Track etc. Technically a  armored Type 82  Beetle with machine gun by loose definition could be called Panzer. Most associate a Panzer with a Tank. 

Your are correct, I was way off in the Brand.  After a little research I found what I was talking about was not a Panzer, it was a Panther.  Although older models than this one.

Sorry.

Panther Kallista is listed (or ranked) 1 on the list Full List of Panther Models Photo: Metaweb (FB)/GNU Free Documentation License

The Kallista replaced the Panther Lima as Panther Car Company's volume model for the 1980s. Unlike the Vauxhall-based Lima, the Kallista used Ford mechanicals, including a range of engines from 1.6 L straight-4 to 2.9 L Cologne V6. Like its predecessor, it featured styling resembling earlier Allard and Morgan cars. The later SsangYong-built models of the 1990s used a 2.3 L engine. The Kallista used an aluminium body over a purpose-built steel chassis. Performance was good, with a sprint to 60 mph taking under 8 seconds. The Kallista was produced from 1982 through 1990 until SsangYong Motor Company released a badge engineered version in 1992 called the SsangYong Kallista. Only 78 of the ...more on Wikipedia

see more on Panther Kallista

15 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Your are correct, I was way off in the Brand.  After a little research I found what I was talking about was not a Panzer, it was a Panther.  Although older models than this one.

Sorry.

Panther Kallista is listed (or ranked) 1 on the list Full List of Panther Models Photo: Metaweb (FB)/GNU Free Documentation License

The Kallista replaced the Panther Lima as Panther Car Company's volume model for the 1980s. Unlike the Vauxhall-based Lima, the Kallista used Ford mechanicals, including a range of engines from 1.6 L straight-4 to 2.9 L Cologne V6. Like its predecessor, it featured styling resembling earlier Allard and Morgan cars. The later SsangYong-built models of the 1990s used a 2.3 L engine. The Kallista used an aluminium body over a purpose-built steel chassis. Performance was good, with a sprint to 60 mph taking under 8 seconds. The Kallista was produced from 1982 through 1990 until SsangYong Motor Company released a badge engineered version in 1992 called the SsangYong Kallista. Only 78 of the ...more on Wikipedia

see more on Panther Kallista

Thanks Paul. There are four for sale in hemmings so I will be able to check them out!