Seeking 1936 Dodge crank hole cover and....

Lamont

Anyone know any resources to find a crank hole cover that isn't a hostage level price?  Original, NOS, or Repro.  

Also looking for an interior bench seat and a wheel well bracket that connects rear fender to frame.  Thanks all!

crank hole cover.jpg

Crank-Hole-Cover-Dodge-Truck-1936-1937-183x300.png

Be prepared to pay at least $500 for a decent one and maybe $1000 or more for a really nice rechromed one. Getting very hard to find. Good hunting! If you do find one, make sure all the parts are there, like the retainer spring and both retainer pins. Broken ones can be fixed if all the pieces are there but at a price! alot of grille parts that show up on Ebay are really beaten up or are old aftermarket and the prices are rediculous!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Good to know...thanks for the tips!!  I thought they just screwed in....didn't know there are springs and pins!  Yeah, not looking for a new one to be machined (way to $$$)...just hoping to find an old one on a salvage truck that I could jerry rig into place.  Thanks again, jpage!  

I believe that the cars and trucks are the same and also fit '37 Dodge trucks. There is a spring type retainer riveted to the top of the cover and they just pop into place. Always a good idea to secure it with a small wire tie so it doesn't fall out.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

jpage is right

DO NOT trust the original mounting, the right bump in the road will dislodge it.

A set of rail road tracks took mine and the guy behind me ran it over.

I used some small zip ties when I finally found one. (several zip ties just to make me feel better)

• 1 year later...
On 8/15/2019 at 2:37 PM, Lamont said:

Anyone know any resources to find a crank hole cover that isn't a hostage level price?  Original, NOS, or Repro.  

Also looking for an interior bench seat and a wheel well bracket that connects rear fender to frame.  Thanks all!

crank hole cover.jpg

Crank-Hole-Cover-Dodge-Truck-1936-1937-183x300.png

Did you find one?  I need 2 of them....  sigh

The best way I know of finding those potmetal front pieces are to buy a whole car. Do what you want with the rest, but the crazy money people want for those parts  dictate that move for me. Fortunately my front end is in perfect shape, but if that were to change our cars aren’t so rare as to not be able to grab a “ran when parked” special somewhere. 

20F56097-6386-45B4-A843-D26CC0AA4E1B.jpeg

Edited by Steve9 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When mine got demolished it was before computers were in every ones home. 

It was also in times of not much money and I put the 36 up for sale at the Portland swap meet kinda hoping that it would not sell.

A guy moseys into my booth and asks me if I had said cover.

Of coarse I thought that he needed one, but to my surprise he told me that he had one he would sell. Twenty bucks !!

It turns out he lived about 300 miles away so I asked if he would ship it if I paid him double.

Nope, "I don't have the time to ship stuff"

Well it wasn't very many days after that when I made the trip.

If I had even a few discretionary dollars I would have bought his two pick ups, and all of his parts.

Of coarse the said cover is very well secured with zip ties now.

I would have made something before I would spend big bucks on one.

I saw a nicely done cover made of aluminum sheet, If one didn't know it was wrong he wouldn't have known the difference.

Seems I have seen repopped grills out there somewhere that doesn't have the cutout.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lamont said:

Hey Jack-  do you have the contact info of the aluminum sheet reproduction of the crank hole cover?  Having the piece custom fabricated, even if its just aluminum, is also not cheap.  

It was a home made part, but done  well.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Odd, I just saw it a week or so ago, but don't see it now.

I suggest keep searching Portland auto parts as he may have let it expire and will most likely renew it sometime soon.

I will post the link here again if I see it in my searches.

I don't think it had a phone number.

• 3 weeks later...

There is one on facebook (no it is not mine and I have no interest in its sale)..

Its a bit pricey and plenty rough..

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1214296032372529/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A8f5d0e79-c84d-4879-b80b-05b59118a47d