1936 Studebaker President Extended, Australia ?

mick dawson

I have a '36 President "extended" 8 seater that was used a 'bereavement vehicle' in Queensland many years ago. I am looking for other information as to where it was built or how many were built ?

VIN 7814,   Engine No.   B20161,  a straight 8.

I would appreciate any information on this vehicle, thank you in advance.

Yours Mick Dawson, Kurrajong Hills, New South Wales, Australia.

Studabaker and Pierce Arrow built what they called Commercial 8 & 9 passenger sedans for funeral home service. Often they had very few options, and were “plain” in all details, such as color,  no hood ornament, and often had a spare in the trunk, not external side mounts or rear mounted. They were not common, but also not very desirable. Usually built on the largest platform to offer more room to the occupants. I have owned a 1936 Pierce eight that was built and used for a funeral home. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Is there a plate on the firewall giving body type and number? If 7814 came from such a plate, what else is there?

B20161 fits in the 1937 run of engine numbers, which began at B15501. 1938 engine numbers began at B24201.

The serial number of the vehicle should be on a plate riveted to the chassis behind the left front wheel.

How would you determine if it had an Australian body on it? Body maker's plate somewhere? A 1938 Coupe Express came to NZ with extended chassis and the story was it had a hearse body built on it locally. I saw it in the '80s I think and the hearse body was gone, leaving a cab only.

Does it have the Startix fitted?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 5:48 AM, Spinneyhill said:

Is there a plate on the firewall giving body type and number? If 7814 came from such a plate, what else is there?

B20161 fits in the 1937 run of engine numbers, which began at B15501. 1938 engine numbers began at B24201.

The serial number of the vehicle should be on a plate riveted to the chassis behind the left front wheel.

How would you determine if it had an Australian body on it? Body maker's plate somewhere? A 1938 Coupe Express came to NZ with extended chassis and the story was it had a hearse body built on it locally. I saw it in the '80s I think and the hearse body was gone, leaving a cab only.

Does it have the Startix fitted?

I will check where the 7814 is stamped but does have a Startix fitted on the firewall, it may not be connected, it has a start button on the inside floor, sorry don't know much about this vehicle at all.  I will send some more pics tomorrow.  It took me a long time to work out how to access this site again after I joined, so I apologise for the delayed response.  The guy who sold it to me said it was one of 17 built for the Australian market , Right Hand Drive ( or New Zealand ?)   I have found another example was used as a Taxi in northern New South Wales, Australia, but it went to a wreckers I think.

20180923_104043.jpg

• Like 5

To compare it with the standard four door sedan, a profile view would be helpful along with a rear three-quarters view, thanks.    For 1936-'37, Studebaker had a two door sedan named the St. Regis which has a long front door similar to your car.   If the rear of the sedan body matches with the standard four door, then it would have required only lengthened rear doors, roof and floor extensions to complete the body unit.  

What are size are the tires?  They look larger than what was standard for regular passenger models.  Your Serial Number should be helpful to identify a commercial chassis.

It would be useful for you to post this information and questions in the Studebaker section and also the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum.  Mr. Richard Quinn is the pre-war research source who could answer your queries the best.  He frequents both.  

On 8/23/2019 at 10:14 PM, mick dawson said:

I will check where the 7814 is stamped but does have a Startix fitted on the firewall, it may not be connected, it has a start button on the inside floor, sorry don't know much about this vehicle at all.  I will send some more pics tomorrow.  It took me a long time to work out how to access this site again after I joined, so I apologise for the delayed response.  The guy who sold it to me said it was one of 17 built for the Australian market , Right Hand Drive ( or New Zealand ?)   I have found another example was used as a Taxi in northern New South Wales, Australia, but it went to a wreckers I think.

20180923_104043.jpg

I checked a few more things and have some more questions.

The tyres are 16 rims x 6.50, light truck, is that standard ?

The firewall has no ID plate that I can find but behind the passenger side front wheel is a place for a plate, only the screws there now.

I found T.J.R stamped on the firewall in large letters, I think T.J.Richards were body builders working in South Australia.

Also found some stamped letters on the engine head above the starter motor. Pics are attached. I cannot find any  numbers that agree with the chassis and engine numbers I was given, I think I need to contact the previous owners if I can find them.

20190825_105145.jpg

20190825_104032.jpg

Yes, TJ Richards were bodybuilders. Besides the embossed TJR in the firewall there usually is a body plate with a TJR Body number and a small badge on the left side outside cowl metal. TJR did build Studebaker bodies and also bodies for Packards, amongst  numerous others. In fact the bodies built for late thirties Studes were also used on late thirties Packards!!! Confuses US Packard aficiandos when they see one. Later still Chrysler bought TJR.

The 517235 head is a cast iron replacement that was part of a dealer kit to replace aluminum heads that failed, usually by corrosion. It is listed in the 1934-46 Parts Catalog. 

While the light truck tires fit, the ride would be more comfortable with car tires in 6.50-16 size. 

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, mick dawson said:

I found a chassis number stamped on the last cross member at the back of the car.

7I078I4 , it looks like the "1's" are actually upper case "I"  

Congrats!  You found the 'secret' serial number that was stamped on the chassis: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?68956-New-Secret-Serial-Number-Location-Or-not-per-CP&highlight=secret+serial

It is common knowledge Studebaker used a Roman numeral 'I' for a number '1' in their serial numbers: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?105144-Turning-Wheels-Article-about-S-N-plate-I-used-fror-1&highlight=serial+1931

Craig