Model - Series Confusion

autonut

I am presently trying to find an electrical wiring diagram for my 1963 Electra.  I thought maybe I had one enlarged and printed but can't be sure I have one.  I have one diagram that I penciled the name Buick on it and it looks like a Buick diagram but confused.  On the diagram, it below states Figure 11-29 B-C-E Series Electrical Color Diagrams.  Up above it states Wiring Circuit Diagrams page 11-177.  Not sure where I copied this diagram from.  Too many years and too many cars I guess.  Wondering what year and if it is even Buick??

The Buick cars go by models with the wildcat being a 4600 series and the 4800 being the Electra Series.  Does not indicate which year however.  The wiring diagrams seems to be designated by series, such as a A-B-C-E. Can anyone straighten me out??

I have no voltage to the coil when I place the ignition switch to ON. I am not getting any spark.  Wish to find the wiring diagram.  I think the coil wire comes right from the switch, so do I have a bad switch or is there some other possibility??

Lee Noga

Someone else can likely confirm, but I believe you’re ok with that wiring diagram.  The letters do refer to GM bodies.  If I recall, B and C bodies are considered the full size, so in 1963, LeSabre, Wildcat, and Electra.  If I recall, an Electra is a C body, but I’m not absolutely certain.

2 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

I buy wiring diagrams from this company for my cars. They are big and laminated.  About $20 

https://www.ebay.com/p/1963-63-Buick-Electra-LeSaber-Wildcat-Color-Laminated-Wiring-Diagram-11-X-17/682282012

The nice thing, besides being large enough to read and being in color,  is that there are schematics for power seats and power windows on the back side.  Also large and in color.

• Like 1

The same physical harness might not interchange, BUT the color codes for the particular circuits went "for years" in GM cars.  Same color codes at the bottom of the harness in a '70 Monte Carlo steering column (turn signal) as the '55 Nomad it went into had, for example.

NTX5467

The implication is that you don't have a factory service manual (because the wiring diagram is contained therein).  You should buy one ASAP.  If you get a digital copy, you'll find that you can enlarge and print any section or image you want.  

Voltage goes from the switch directly to the coil (for starting) and through an under-dash  resistance wire (when running).  Check for voltage at the coil when starting.  Check the ignition switch, and check the harness (they tend to burn and/or corrode at the connection to the switch).

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:05 PM, Bill Stoneberg said:

I buy wiring diagrams from this company for my cars. They are big and laminated.  About $20 

https://www.ebay.com/p/1963-63-Buick-Electra-LeSaber-Wildcat-Color-Laminated-Wiring-Diagram-11-X-17/682282012

The lower price is for 11x17.  For a few bucks more, you can get a larger 18x24 diagram: https://www.classiccarwiring.com/1963-buick-electra-lasaber-wildcat-color-wiring-diagram/.