BATTERY FICTION ??

autoluke

I noticed that my new Duracell battery was designed with the fill ports permanently plugged, as opposed to having the traditional removable port plugs to allow electrolyte service.

Seller claims that the newer product will not need the access ports with the refined technology.

My BS meter reads false.

Phil

13 minutes ago, PFitz said:

Here's some info on new batteries and why they are not meant to be checked for water levels ...

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/maintenance-free-battery-care-tips-tricks/

http://www.carreviewsncare.com/fact-about-maintenance-free-battery/

Paul

Ironic that the lead photo in that NAPA Online page ISN'T a maintenance-free battery... 😂

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Ironic that the lead photo in that NAPA Online page ISN'T a maintenance-free battery... 😂

No surprise. Have you ever tried parts searches on their website ? :lol:

Paul 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Although it is funny that the 6 volt I just bought a month ago for my Plymouth still has removable caps.  Perhaps tractors owners are more likely to need to add water?

Actually I believe you are correct. 6 volt generator systems don’t regulate voltage as well as modern alternator systems so you will need to check the water level once in a while just to be sure. If your charging system is over charging it will most certainly need water added and you will have corrosion at the terminals. Distilled water only please. That is the reason I put AGM batteries in any car where the battery is under the floorboard. At my age I’ll never have to see the batteries in my REO again. 😄 

5F1FAA43-612E-4049-B918-7E27F7624638.thumb.jpeg.a9bb79c42c72330dcc5abd502a7317b5.jpeg

• Like 1

According to an old technical book I have, circa 1987, that I cannot find (so going by memory from decades ago), there are 3 common types of car battery:

1) Conventional with removable caps that unscrew

2) Low Maintenance (normally needs no water, but might, so the caps can be pried off to add some).

3) Maintenance Free (no way to add anything).

The chief difference is the alloy of the plates.

1) This is the battery of old. It needs water now and then even on a charging system that doesn't hammer the battery too hard (so ignoring third brush generators for the moment). It likes a slightly lower charging voltage, such as would have been normal years ago. These were still avaiable in the 80s at battery dealers, the sort of shops that build batteries in house, and could theoretically take one apart and fix it. Tar top was gone by the 80s, but there were still batteries that could be assembled or disassembled in house, and shops that could do it. Their main customers were farms and industry. If you wanted a truly old fashioned battery, you just walked into one of these places and bought one. They could supply about any size. They probably had modern stuff on the shelves too. Apparently most 6 volt batteries are still of this type, because they have screw on caps and a level that needs to be checked.

2) This is an Interstate battery, or an Exide, or similar, with triple caps that don't look removable, but pry off if you really need to add water. The different plate alloy will tolerate a slightly higher charging voltage. It also prefers a slightly higher charging voltage. I should point out here that "higher" means just a couple of tenths of a volt (or so) higher. Less water is lost in normal operation. After a few years, you probably add some water. Most aftermarket batteries in the USA were this type in the 80s and 90s.

3) This one is the Delco "Freedom Battery" and similar things. They are yet another plate alloy. They lose even less moisture, and allegedly never need water. In any event, there is no way to add any. They can tolerate, and like an even higher charging voltage. They are described as "sealed", but every lead-acid battery has a vent, and can theoretically off-gas and leak, even an Optima. This type shouldn't vent in normal operation.

To the list I am going to add one more type:

4) AGM or "absorbed glass mat". The electrolyte is soaked up in fiberglass mats between the plates. This includes Optimas, but also some conventional looking batteries with flat plates. Like the sealed Delcos, they want, and can tolerate a little more voltage. Optima's datasheets say their 12v spiral batteries can be charged indefinitely at 15 volts, as long as the case remains below a certain temperature.

AGM batteries really belong in category 3) I think, but weren't common yet when that book was written.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Bloo, I believe the Delco Freedom were lead calcium alloy versus antimony. They were produced by Delco-Remy and later Delphi. Those plants were sold to Johnson Control a long time ago so that is not the current construction.

They were less likely to gas and also had condensation areas in the caps. Seemed to work very well.

Dave

• Like 1