Saw this 1966 Chrysler 300 today on the way back from Biomass

keiser31

After dropping a load of wood at our local wood recycle place, my honey and I saw this 1966 Chrysler 300 hiding behind a container. I HAD to stop and check it out since my Dad had a red one with a black vinyl top. I LOVED that car! Here is the one I saw. Kinda HEMI orange (almost) with a white vinyl top and white interior. I WANT THIS CAR!!

Picture 29863.jpg

Picture 29856.jpg

Picture 29857.jpg

Picture 29858.jpg

Picture 29860.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Fleek said:

Ok, great car...……..But you are supposed to be concentrating on a certain 31 Dodge!  Just a gentle reminder.

He needs something to tow the '31.

Those mid-sixties Chryslers were EXCELLENT tow vehicles!!

Craig

• Like 3

A guy in my town had an all original low mileage 65 Newport 2 door hardtop back in the mid 90's,  that he had got from someone that really took care of it.  Original goldish paint and black Vinyl top and interior.  I loved that car.  He took terrible care of it and had it for sale but always about $2000 or so more than it was worth.  He left it outside,  stuck it under his deck,  painted his house with a spray guy not too far away.  He finally hired me to detail it.  At that point because of the outside storage the paint was flat with some faint overspray of brown house paint on it.  The interior seam was just starting to pop on the corner edge of the front seat.  I would have given him 4500 for it,  but he wanted 6500.  I charged him a couple of hundred bucks and wiped the whole car down with laquer thinner, which got rid of the house paint and the dead layer of paint.  Then buffed and waxed the whole car.  It looked really nice and only one very small spot was slightly thin when I got done,  but I know how to be careful when buffing so I could see it starting tot get thin and stopped , then hand worked the whole area.  He couldn't believe it when he saw the car.  It looked like it was a couple of years old.  OF course what did he do?  You guessed left it back outside so in 6 months it started going to crap again,  then the interior started getting worse as did the chrome that was still very nice when I detailed it.  I think it eventually sold years later but was looking really rough at that point and was below the 4500 I would have given him before I detailed it.  What a terrible shame.  This is why I say if you get an old car and live in the Northeast,  you need a garage or good under cover (not a tarp) storage or forget about it.  

Always loved that domed dash and the 2 door hardtop roofline,  I actually think I prefer to the Convertible.  One of the few cars I think might look better as a hardtop. 

• Like 1

John,  I agree that's a great car if it has a good engine, which is a big 383 c.i.  V-8.  George Dammann, author of 70 Years of Chrysler, Crestline Pub., 1974, in the "About the Author" section, said he used to own a '67 Chrysler Newport, and even though he thought it looked "too square", he said for highway cruising on trips of 300 miles or more, there is no other car I'd rather be driving.  By the way, '66 was the last year with the bucket seats, as they went to bench seats in '67.  Let us know if you get it.  Marc.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:45 AM, keiser31 said:

Jack....did you ever find that elusive shifter boot?

No,

One of these days I will take it apart again and try and adapt something that is available. (I want to get the console tach fixed as well)

I did find a part number somewhere (which I have probably lost by now) but NO ONE lists it in nos inventory.

I just took it for a ride yesterday, its raining today.

• Like 1